1235 users online (214 members and 1021 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NY - Titicus Reservoir, North Salem, White Male, Jun'93 - Andrew Bookless

http://doenetwork.us/cases/302umny.html

Unidentified White Male

• Discovered on June 12, 1993 in the Titicus Reservoir, Town of North Salem, Westchester County, New York.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 30 - 40 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 154 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length, straight brown hair.
    • Clothes: He was wearing a black Alpacuna overcoat (Pictured); a black scarf; a brown, tweed, sports coat (Pictured); two sweaters; an orange t-shirt; Levi blue jeans, and brown leather shoes, size 10 1/2(Pictured).

• Recovered with the body was a green and blue knit pouch (Pictured) and a black and white photograph of an older gentleman holding a child (Pictured).
    Case History
    The victim was found floating in the Titicus Reservoir in North Salem, N.Y.
    He was neatly, if not well dressed, wearing an overcoat and scarf over a sport jacket, sweater, sweat shirt, T-shirt and jeans. He carried no identification and had obviously been in the water for months.
    Authorities believe he had drowned sometime during the previous winter. Gases that form in the body during decomposition brought him to the surface, although he wore a day pack full of rocks that initially weighed him down.
    Investigators don't know whether the man committed suicide or if he was drowned by being tossed into the water wearing the pack.
    The only clues to his identity were an old, black-and-white Polaroid photograph and a set of Chrysler keys. The photo shows an elderly man holding an infant in the foreground, and a long, low, brick building, possibly a school, in the background. Police think the victim could have been the baby in the old man's arms.

Last edited by Cubby; 01-09-2011 at 07:18 AM.

NY-Interesting unidentified male NY 1993

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/302umny.html

302umny 1993

And there is more on the New York State website for UID's.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Want...7-2688948e335c

But doe site is more complete
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-06-2011 at 03:02 AM.

It sounds like the UID male could have been homeless and was wearing everything he owned. I wonder why there isn't a sketch of the man or a bust of him.

Quote Originally Posted by kylie View Post
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/302umny.html

302umny 1993

And there is more on the New York State website for UID's.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Want...7-2688948e335c

But doe site is more complete

I was wondering the same thing, RKnowley. Why no recon? Happy New Year, almost!

Lion

Hi Lion Happy New Year (almost) to you also! I wonder about the set of Chrysler keys he had on him.

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, RKnowley. Why no recon? Happy New Year, almost!

Lion

The Doe Network:
    Case File 302UMNY

Photo found with the Victim
    Unidentified White Male

• Discovered on June 12, 1993 in the Titicus Reservoir, Town of North Salem, Westchester County, New York.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 30 - 40 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 154 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length, straight brown hair.
    • Clothes: He was wearing a black Alpacuna overcoat (Pictured); a black scarf; a brown, tweed, sports coat (Pictured); two sweaters; an orange t-shirt; Levi blue jeans, and brown leather shoes, size 10 1/2(Pictured).

• Recovered with the body was a green and blue knit pouch (Pictured) and a black and white photograph of an older gentleman holding a child (Pictured).

Items found with the Victim

Case History
    The victim was found floating in the Titicus Reservoir in North Salem, N.Y.
    He was neatly, if not well dressed, wearing an overcoat and scarf over a sport jacket, sweater, sweat shirt, T-shirt and jeans. He carried no identification and had obviously been in the water for months.
    Authorities believe he had drowned sometime during the previous winter. Gases that form in the body during decomposition brought him to the surface, although he wore a day pack full of rocks that initially weighed him down.
    Investigators don't know whether the man committed suicide or if he was drowned by being tossed into the water wearing the pack.
    The only clues to his identity were an old, black-and-white Polaroid photograph and a set of Chrysler keys. The photo shows an elderly man holding an infant in the foreground, and a long, low, brick building, possibly a school, in the background. Police think the victim could have been the baby in the old man's arms.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    New York State Police
    Bureau of Criminal Investigation
    Troop K, Somers, NY
    914-277-3651
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
    NCIC Number:
    U-880250567
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Source Information:
    New York State Police
    The News Times

Source: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/302umny.html

Yes, I wonder if they could trace the keys to a year and model at least. I wonder if this picture was widely diseminated. The longer it goes, the harder it will be to identify. We really need another show like Unsolved Mysteries.

AMW is very fussy about the cases they put on and I'm sure some of these cases could be solved with a prime time audience watching.

Yes, RKnowley. I wonder what they could have found out from the keys.

If you don't mind, can you take a look at this other thread that kylie started? Please let me know what you think.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57956

Lion

Going to go read up on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    Yes, RKnowley. I wonder what they could have found out from the keys.

If you don't mind, can you take a look at this other thread that kylie started? Please let me know what you think.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57956

Lion

This man was:
    • born about 1953-1963
    • had shoulder length, straight brown hair
    • was about 6'3"
    • was about 165lbs
    • may have been homeless or lived in a car (had the chrysler keys with him)?
    • may have committed suicide. He may have put on all of his clothes to make room for the rocks that were put in his back pack.

I am still wondering about the keys. Is there a photo of them somewhere? Could a locksmith possibly be able to tell what year and model they are for?

This is so sad, he committed suicide.. had pics right there with him, he was hurting so badly.. =(
    I hope someone has those Chysler Keys still as there are ways to tell what year make and model it went to.

Would it be possible that at one point he was away from his car, his car got towed away and he wouldn't have been able to afford the fee to get it out of impound and for towing?
    Is there any way a reconstruction of what his face would have looked like at the time could be done?

Old Case Tied To Image

For 15 years, authorities have been unable to put a name to the man they found dead in a Westchester County, N.Y., reservoir.

The decomposed body left little to identify him. And police found no ID, like a driver's license, to go by.

But with the body, police found a photograph [see below] apparently taken some years before the death of a child in the arms of an older man. The two pose in front of a building and a utility pole.

Today, police hope a new revelation about the photograph possibly connecting it to Western Massachusetts or, specifically, Berkshire County could shed light on this cold case.

New York investigators say the utility pole seen prominently in the photograph contains wiring similar to that used by Northeast Utilities in Western Massachusetts. Northeast Utilities is the parent company of the Western Massachusetts Electric Co. And that's what is pointing police to this region.

A Boston resident who collects utility poles provided that information to police, according to New York State Police Investigator Joe Fiebich.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_801...2987EAE1F.html

Child in photo

Maybe I am just not seeing the picture of the child good enough but the child looks like a girl to me. Could this child be the daughter of the deceased man and grandchild of the older man in picture. Also wondering how the picture stayed in such good condition being in water for so long.

I was just wondering the same thing about the pic and the child. I do remember when polariods first came out. I'm thinking the pic was made with the Polaroid Swinger which came out in 1965. The photo obviously held high importance for the victim to have protected it from the water in some kind of waterproof carrier.

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...blpolaroid.htm

".....then Polaroid Swinger camera in 1965. The black and white Swinger camera sold for under $20 and was a big hit with consumers.....",

From what I can tell, they quit making the black and white only Swinger in 1970.

Somebody, somewhere should be able to recognize the building, which looks like a school to me.
    Last edited by raindrops300; 01-23-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: add link

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast