Identified! MT - Missoula Co, 'Chryssie Crystal Creek' AsianFem 3UFMT, 20-35, Sep'85 Janet Lee Lucas

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been looking up some UID's in my general area tonight. This one caught my attention for some reason. Then I came across another young lady with some similarites...although missing from a different area. This is my first shot at matching, so let me know what you think. I could be way off here. (Bolding below is mine in order to show similarities.)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3ufmt.html

Unidentified White or Biracial Female (REVISED TO ASIAN FEMALE)
3UFMT.jpg
  • Located in Missoula, Montana on September 9, 1985.
  • Cause of death was homicide, she had been shot in the head twice.
  • She is estimated to have died between 1983-1985.
Vital Statistics
  • Approximate age: 20-22 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'2" (152 cm.-157 cm.); 100-110 lbs (45-50 kg.).
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Light-brown hair, believed to be thin, wavy and treated. She was a smoker and may have been right-handed. Her cheekbones were quite prominent and she may have been of partial Asian descent.
  • Dentals: Dental records are available. Restoration and root canal work indicate excellent dental care during teen years with significant fall off during later years.
  • Clothing: No clothing was found at the scene.
Case History

There are little clues as to the circumstances of this victim's death; her remains were skeletonized when she was located. Wayne Nance was a suspect in the death of this victim, but he died before anything was brought to trial. The murder weapon was a .32-caliber firearm and the bullets were Winchester/Western Silver Tip, solid nose or fully jacketed: Six land and grooves, right-hand twist, .051"/.055" land impression, which could have been fired from any of the following gun makes: Ceska, Walther, Llama, Star, Savage or Astra. The gun was not found at the scene, but two .32-caliber bullets recovered from skull. She was also nicknamed "Chryssie Crystal Creek" because of the location where she was found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda Rose Grimm
A200301481W_243.jpg
Date Missing: 4/5/1985
Missing From: Perris, CA

Age at Disappearance: 23
Height:
5'2"
Weight:
105 lbs
Hair Color: Light Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Complexion: Medium

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Her husband stated that Linda had left to go to a local store for cigarettes and never returned.

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301481W (more, including other photos at link)

Looks similar. some things that look different are the foreheads and the uid looks to have a higher cheek bone. What do you think?

There are some similarities that I see tooo, Is possible

I was living a 100 miles away from Missoula when Wayne Nance was operating there...there is another woman whom he had staying with him whom he eventually killed.The only thing they have of her is a strip of photo booth shots taken with Nance and that she hitchiked to Missoula.
Last i heard she was still unidentified as well.
Ill surf around and see if I can find a link.

I stand corrected the girl to whom I was refering has been identified after 20 some years! terrific news.
Apparently I havent checked on this case in awhile.
My friends and I used to frequent 'The Cabin' the Bar Wayne Nance bounced at quite a bit during the early '80's.
Its in east Missoula right across from Tabor's truck stop where my Uncle Billy worked.
I dont recall ever meeting Nance or if I did he made no impression though as much as we were in there during that time period Im sure our paths crossed.Facinating case.
I do have quite a few friends in Missoulla from that period who remember him either from there or the furniture warehouse he worked at.
He was killed by one of his intended victims during a home invasion of a woman that he worked with.

Do you have a link to the update? Would love to learn who she was.

Nevermind, I poked around some and found this:

"Authorities identified a victim of serial killer Wayne Nance...nearly 22-years after her body was dumped near Bonner. In December 1984...the sheriff's department recovered her body, but have spent more than two decades trying to find out who she was, where she came from and how she ended up with Wayne Nance.

"DNA helped authorities finally identify one of serial killer Wayne Nance's victims. Her name is Marcella Cheri Bachmann also known as "Marci." Bachmann's brother, Derek, found his sister in a Cold Case series featured on MontanasNews Station.com.

"Marcella Cheri Bachmann was a runaway from Oregon last spotted in Vancouver Washington in early 1984. Case files suggest Bachmann hitch-hiked to the Missoula area and met Wayne Nance at the Cabin Bar in Bonner where he worked as a bouncer. Several workers there say she went by the name "Robin" and lived with Nance.
"Weatherman: "When she was no longer around - he told people she got on a bus and left town."

"But, on Christmas Eve, 1984, hiker encountered a foot sticking out of the snow in the woods above the Milltown Dam. The victim had no name...but later authorities linked the murder to Wayne Nance, serial killer who struck the area in the 1980's. Since then, retired sheriff's captain Larry Weatherman remained committed to the case. It haunted him long after he retired...that this young victim had no name, no one to mourn her...and no proper resting place. Up until this week...her remains were kept in a county storage room.

"Marci's family wants to give credit to the Green River Task force for helping them even after they determined she wasn't a victim of Gary Ridgeway, a Seattle-area serial killer. They also want to thank Missoula County Sheriff's captain Greg Hinz for submitting Marci's DNA to a national registry. "

You'll have to bear with me here, but I am very new to online sleuthing and please forgive me is this has been posted and ruled out already. I went to the Doe Network site today and was haunted by the pic of a Jane Doe known as 'Christy Crystal River'. Her remains were found in Missoula, Montana in 1985 (she had been murdered). I looked at several missing persons cases of women who dissapeared in Montana before 1985 and found one that I think could possibly be a match. Here are the links:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3ufmt.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kirkpatrick_nancy.html

Very little information exists regarding the missing woman, but the Jane Doe is described as being in her early twenties, with high cheekbones, and the height on the two match and the weight is very close. Nancy Kirkpatrick would have been in her early 20s in the early 1980s and from her pics she has very prominent cheekbones.

This may be a long shot, but I thought I would make an attempt at trying to identify a lost soul. When I saw a picture of that poor Jane Doe, my heart just ached. Something about the reconstruction and the eyes, she just looks lost and sad :( Hopefully we can find out who she is!

Both Nancy Lynn Kirkpatrick and the UID are in CODIS. Therefore it is an exclusion by default becase CODIS would automatically recognize the match if it was a match.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3ufmt.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2452dfmt.html

BTW, CODIS is the national DNA database.

The only non-CODIS rule-outs I can find for this UID are:
Mary Frances Gregory of Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
Cheryl Ann Scherer from Scott City, Missouri

Source: Porchlight USA

Thanks for the info about Codis. I had never heard of it before but that will help in my sleuthing. Like I said I'm very new to this :) What are some more tips when narrowing down potential matches?

Rustysmom-

Welcome to WS and good try--if it were not for the fact that they were both in CODIS, I would think it would be a good possibility. Keep looking, there are many, many other Does that are not in CODIS that could be matched up.

Thanks for the info about Codis. I had never heard of it before but that will help in my sleuthing. Like I said I'm very new to this :) What are some more tips when narrowing down potential matches?

Rustysmom:

The one thing that I can suggest is that you find a way to organize what you have already looked at. For example, I have separate bookmark folders and sub-folders set up on my web browser for various physical conditions, such as gapped teeth, missing teeth, pregnant, medical hardware, etc. As I go through MP pages and encounter persons with various physical conditions, I bookmark them into their appropriate folders.

So when I find a UID with gapped teeth, I can go to the the MP/Female/Gapped Teeth folder and find links to all of the Female MP's with gapped teeth.

There will be times when you run across a UID or MP and say to yourself "I know I've seen the match to this case somewhere, but I don't remember where." Just set it aside into a "Hold for Possible Match" folder, and sooner or later, you will run across what you were looking for, and know right where to find the counterpart.

If you are interested in seeing how CODIS works, I posted this LA Times news article a couple of months ago. It tells how a 1975 rape/murder of an elderly woman was recently solved because the perp was pulled over for a minor traffic violation, arrested for warrants, and was required to submit a DNA sample into CODIS.

CODIS was able to automatically identify him as the source of the DNA taken from the 1975 crime victim.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/03/local/la-me-elderly-slain3-2009dec03

Also, If you haven't read this essay from David Van Norman (which I posted a few weeks ago), I suggest that you do. It explains a lot about the difficulties in getting law enforcement to take missing persons cases seriously. The PDF attachment is a summarized version of the MS Word document, so I suggest that you just read the 16-page Word Doc instead of the PDF.

A bigger picture - What every MP investigator/family member must know - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

If there is anything additional that I can suggest, it's just to not get discouraged. The likelihood is that you will probably turn in quite a few non-matches (that you were absolutely sure would be a match) before you actually find a good match.

Also, when submitting possibles, you will probably encounter a few law enforcement agencies and coroner's offices that couldn't care less about your submission, but there are so many others who appreciate what you are doing.

I've always wondered what happened to Nancy Kirkpatrick. 33 years is an awful long time to be missing.
One of many mysteries ... :/

DoeNet updated the file on "Christy Crystal Creek" today. They updated the distinguishing characteristics and added another facial reconstruction:

3UFMT2.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3ufmt.html

The additional information emphasizes the likelihood that the woman was Asian, and now they go as far as to say that she may have been Japanese. IIRC, they previously might have said that she was "possibly Asian", but they did not emphasize that point. Also, I don't recall the information about the extensive dental work, including fillings in almost every tooth, and a "screw-in" dental post typically used in Asia and not in the U.S.

I ran a screen for missing Asian women from that time period and came up with this one.

Emino Nakamura Murray
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_emino.html

murray_emino.jpg
3UFMT2.jpg

The surname would suggest that she is Japanese, and she has "some visible fillings in her teeth".

She also has the very broad cheekbones, although appears to have slightly less chin (although not different enough to call it inconsistent).

I'm not sure what scenario would explain how she would get from Gretna LA (en-route to her boyfriend's house) to being a victim of a serial killer in Missoula MT.

Shelly Anne Bascu's teeth were in "perfect condition", meaning no fillings. That would be inconsistent to Christy Crystal Creek.

Rose Marie Gayhart
Missing since March 14, 1985 from Livingston County, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 8, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, curly hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has a scar below her chin. Faint scars around nose and eye, which may not have been noticeable. Stretch marks from prior childbirth. She wears eyeglasses.
Dentals: Available.
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Gayhart lived in the 50 block of northeast Barron Way in Fort Myers, Florida in 1985. Gayhart has never been heard from again. Her family believes foul play might have been involved in her disappearance.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/508dfny.html

Attachments

• Rose Gayhart.jpg
    Rose Gayhart.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22
  • UID Chryssie Crystal Creek 1985.jpg
    UID Chryssie Crystal Creek 1985.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 15
I would say that the "may have been of Asian descent, possibly Japanese" skeletal findings, combined with the indication that she had dental implants of the type used in Asia, and not in the USA or Europe, would suggest that we are very likely looking for an Asian woman.

I don't see any hint of Asian ancestry with Rose Gayhart. Also, while her cheekbones are somewhat defined, I would not describe them as "quite prominent".

I suppose there is another explanation that being if the UID lived in Japan for a period of time and had work done there.

so child of businessman, military, exchange student, etc.

I suppose there is another explanation that being if the UID lived in Japan for a period of time and had work done there.

so child of businessman, military, exchange student, etc.

I would agree, except that it appears (although it is not explicitly stated) that the "may have been of Asian descent, possibly Japanese" comment is based on skull characteristics, as opposed to the dental implant. It is stated along with the comment that her cheekbones are "quite prominent".

Then again, I might be wrong, and they could be making (not necessarily valid) inferences about her "descent" based only on dental work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back