Green Funerals catching on in US...

Although I have no problem with eco friendly caskets ...
Most religions tend to lean towards preservation of the body..
A biodegradable casket would not do that.

And how would this protect any nearby water source.. :waitasec:
I am not very well versed in this area so forgive if that is a dumb question.

Mary Roach's book Stiff talks about a lot of alternatives to embalming and burial. One of them that I thought was really neat was to be freeze dried and turned into compost. So, you could plant a tree, drop some dearly beloved into the hole, and then visit them there whenever you want. :)

I thought it was against the law to be buried to in stuff that was biodegradable and not be embalmed because they want to protect the underground water sources.

My husbands granddad died in Mexico last week and they washed him, clothed him and put him in a wooden casket and buried him on his ranch. No help from anyone. The sons buried their father while the women clean and clothed him.
His marker is being made by a grandson.

I want to be embalmed to make sure I am dead.

I thought it was against the law to be buried to in stuff that was biodegradable and not be embalmed because they want to protect the underground water sources.

I wouldn't know about that, maybe it varies from state to state?

I just found this:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...ml+laws+burial+idaho&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

snip

Embalming: No state requires routine embalming of all bodies. Special circumstances-such as an extended time death and disposition- may make it necessary under state law. Interstate transportation by a common carrier may also necessitate embalming, although most airlines will waive that requirement if there are religious objections. Refrigeration or dry ice can take the place of embalming in many instances. In some states, embalming may be required by law if the person has died of a communicable disease, although this is a seriously flawed requirement.

I want to be embalmed to make sure I am dead.
just have them bury you with a bell like the olden days. just have someone sit with your gravesite for a few days. it'll be a nice campout!!

This isn't anything new: Jewish tradition is to be quickly buried, unembalmed in a simple wooden box so the body can decompose, in the process of going back into the earth. (not saying every Jewish person follows this tradition, but it is common practice)

This isn't anything new: Jewish tradition is to be quickly buried, unembalmed in a simple wooden box so the body can decompose, in the process of going back into the earth. (not saying every Jewish person follows this tradition, but it is common practice)

I was thinking that was the case, but hadn't gotten around to looking it up. Thanks.

A concrete liner for the grave might be required. I know it's required here. I agree with Jbean about wanting to be embalmed to make sure I'm dead, but I'd prefer the cheapest no frills wooden casket.

I like this idea...back to the earth.

My boyfriends father had an Islamic burial. They wash the body, wrap it in a cloth and then put the body in a plain, wooden coffin.

I wouldn't know about that, maybe it varies from state to state?

I just found this:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...ml+laws+burial+idaho&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

snip

Embalming: No state requires routine embalming of all bodies. Special circumstances-such as an extended time death and disposition- may make it necessary under state law. Interstate transportation by a common carrier may also necessitate embalming, although most airlines will waive that requirement if there are religious objections. Refrigeration or dry ice can take the place of embalming in many instances. In some states, embalming may be required by law if the person has died of a communicable disease, although this is a seriously flawed requirement.

Ever read Jessica Mitford's American Way Of Death? It pointed out decades ago that these laws were in place, yet funeral homes lead you to believe otherwise still to this day. I don't understand the "groundwater" concern, but maybe I am an idiot. I would think that we were infinitely in more trouble with contamination if caskets are lead lined etc...than from some poor soul who has passed on...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back