New Rape Law In OK to Allow No Police Involvement

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
For many years, I questioned the law forcing women (and men) to automatically go forward with charges in order to receive a rape exam securing evidence. This new law allows the decision to fall back to them and hopefully encourage more to come forward to get the help they need at the time. :clap:

This law will go into effect nationwide by 2009. Since Oklahoma got on board in November, seven people have gone in for the confidential exam. Some of those victims included men.

~snip~

Now rape and assault victims can get a free medical exam and abuse counseling without first filing a police report. “The exam we will do on someone who doesn't involve law enforcement will be done exactly like a case that would involve law enforcement."

http://www.fox23.com/content/flashp...ntent_id=f8d964b2-d29b-454b-bc61-6316809d2718

How wonderful! Hopefully other states will follow!!

I had no idea that women were even put into such a situation. How awful to not be able to get the help they need without strings attached.

Okay, my first reaction to this was :snooty:

Why would anyone want to let time lapse before looking for a rapist? But after reading the article I understand better. It allows victims to get that critical evidence taken in a timely manner while absorbing what happened to them.

I think some of them might believe they are never going to tell, but that they just want medical treatment. And then once the exam is over and they've told someone once, it makes it a tiny bit easier to report it. Especially when there is a lot of evidence. You think?

I hope it helps! Thanks for enlightening me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back