859 users online (125 members and 734 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stomach Flu Spread By Contaminated Computer Keyboards

THURSDAY, Jan. 3 (HealthDay News) -- The highly contagious norovirus, often called the stomach flu, can be passed from one person to another through contact with commonly shared items such as computer keyboards and computer mice, U.S. health officials report.

The virus, which is common in winter and is the most frequent cause of outbreaks of vomiting and diarrhea in the United States, is often contracted in schools, at work and on cruise ships.

The virus can live on surfaces for several days, Chai said. To prevent infection with the virus, people should wash their hands after using shared objects, and computer keyboards and mice should be disinfected regularly with diluted bleach, he said.

"In addition, people who are ill should stay home for one to three days after they have had their last symptom, because they continue to shed the virus and can still contaminate objects," Chai added.

"The best way to stop the spread of norovirus is to wash your hands regularly with soap and stay home from work or school if you are sick," Dr. Sharon Balter, director of enteric disease for the New York City Health Department's Bureau of Communicable Disease, said in a prepared statement. "Norovirus is common at this time of year and is not serious for most people, but it is important to take these steps to keep others from getting sick."

Imperato agreed. "Hand-washing remains the foundation of preventing the spread of norovirus," he said.

More information

For more on norovirus, visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080103...puterkeyboards

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Well, there you go, DK!

You've been making some of us sick with your keyboard for years, but now you're not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Well, there you go, DK!

You've been making some of us sick with your keyboard for years, but now you're not alone!
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! We need a rim shot smiley, lol.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! We need a rim shot smiley, lol.
    Well, you set it up. I couldn't bear to disappoint you.

Well, there you go, DK!

Nova!

I am going to print this article out at work tomorrow. My co-workers hate that I disinfect my keyboard, mouse, and phone every day. HA no wonder I get sick less than they do. I also disinfect all the doorknobs so I can see where it might get on their nerves but I am still sick less than they are. I wash my hands several times a day and I never use someone elses pen.

Quote Originally Posted by mic730 View Post
    I am going to print this article out at work tomorrow. My co-workers hate that I disinfect my keyboard, mouse, and phone every day. HA no wonder I get sick less than they do. I also disinfect all the doorknobs so I can see where it might get on their nerves but I am still sick less than they are. I wash my hands several times a day and I never use someone elses pen.
    I can see common items like phones and pens, but who else uses your mouse and keyboard but you? If you do have some stealth filth-purveyors who use your machine while you're not around, we have neat thingy in the OR called a pressure autoclave and you could steam sterilize those hands who secretly use your board and mouse; now that would stop some germs.....

Crypto6

Quote Originally Posted by crypto6 View Post
    I can see common items like phones and pens, but who else uses your mouse and keyboard but you? If you do have some stealth filth-purveyors who use your machine while you're not around, we have neat thingy in the OR called a pressure autoclave and you could steam sterilize those hands who secretly use your board and mouse; now that would stop some germs.....

Crypto6
    I don't know about Michele, but I have worked in offices before where we worked in shifts and computers were shared.

Seems to me we should each take responsibility for keeping our own hands out of our own mouths and away from our own eyes. Lifelong nail biter talking here, but wouldn't that solve the problem?

And this is what makes my job as an IT tech dangerous... to constantly have to touch peoples contaminated computers/keyboards... it's a wonder we even survive...

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by crypto6 View Post

Crypto6
    LOL I like the idea of pressure autoclave!
    My co-workers use my computer all the time for different reasons as well as my shredder.

I don't know about Michele, but I have worked in offices before where we worked in shifts and computers were shared.

Seems to me we should each take responsibility for keeping our own hands out of our own mouths and away from our own eyes. Lifelong nail biter talking here, but wouldn't that solve the problem?
    I agree and take responsibilty for keeping our work areas germ free!
    I know I am a little over the top on this issue.

I agree with Mic....While nobody else uses my computer or phone at work, I give our front desk staff breaks twice a day and a couple of them are sick now. They have a strong work ethic and don't feel that they should take off unless they absolutely can't get out of bed in the morning. I've been disenfecting the phone, keyboard and mouse each time I give them a break. It doesn't hurt their feelings...indeed they keep a container of disenfectant wipes and spray on their desk for that purpose. In a perfect world, we would all take off every time we don't feel well so as not to contaminate anyone, but that's hard to do in today's corporate world.

Well, there you go, DK!

Bada-bing!

Well, there you go, DK!

LOL...good one Nova!!!

What is acceptable for cleaning a keyboard and mouse? Is a Clorox wipe OK or is it too strong or caustic?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast