NE - Gary Malm for starving, neglecting 1yo son, Omaha, 2004

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Relatives came and went from the south Omaha house where police found a severely malnourished baby in a maggot-infested crib.

But Gary Malm Jr., 23, always said his children were upstairs napping, the grandfather of the 14-month-old boy and his two siblings said Thursday.

"As long as (Gary Jr.) has been in that house, I've never been upstairs," Gary Malm Sr. said.

The grandfather said that when the 3- and 4-year-old children stayed with him and his wife a couple of weeks ago, they seemed fine. The adults did not see the 14-month-old, Devon, at that time, said Malm Sr.

Nobody had an inkling that things might not be right with Gary Jr.'s young, struggling family, said the elder Malm.

Devon was hospitalized after police searched the younger Malm's home Tuesday. The older children have been placed in foster care.

The children's father told police he had given up caring for Devon, according to a police affidavit filed in Juvenile Court.

Gary Malm Jr. waived his preliminary hearing Wednesday and was ordered to stand trial in District Court on a felony child abuse charge. Judge Lyn White set bail at $500,000.

Officers went to 1709 S. 16th St. to follow up on a call from Child Protective Services. Once inside, they found two scenes that stood in stark contrast.

Police found the two oldest children, apparently healthy, playing in a well-kept basement of the home.

Then police went upstairs.

At the top of the stairs, they were hit by the smell of urine, feces and rotting skin, prosecutor George Thompson said Wednesday.

Devon lay inside a crib. Maggots, urine and feces surrounded him. He was unable to hold up his head. And he couldn't stand on his own because his legs were constricted.

The police affidavit said Gary Malm Jr. told police he hadn't bathed the boy, changed his diaper or taken him out of the crib for the past month. Authorities didn't say whether or how often Malm had given the child food or drink.

The toddler has been hospitalized with severe malnutrition.

Full Story from Omaha.com

OMG, poor little baby! I wonder how the father ever thought he could explain leaving the baby in such a filthy mess after the baby turned up dead? As gross as it sounds, the maggots probably saved the baby's life by cleaning his wounds.

that is just sick! poor baby....damn these irresponsible parents, they really tick me off.

Yes, maggots prevented gangrene from the decaying flesh setting in thats true. Though I don't think the baby's condition is being reported as clearly as it might be; I'm sure the damage is great and the extent of the mental injuries may not yet be known.

I fail to see how this can stop with "felony child abuse." This is attempted murder because the father didn't have the guts (if that word fits) to do it quickly, but instead just left the kid there to die. I would say that they should do the same thing to him. Tie him to a bed for months and not let him up to use the bathroom. Just give him enough food and water to let him live through it and suffer.

Something similar may have been done to him as a child himself. He was abused and because of it was placed in a mental facility as a child. He's obviously not all there mentally or emotionally.

I swear I never understand people decrying a horrible thing happening to others then wishing the same horrible thing on someone else, even if it's a person accused of doing the original horrible thing.

Gary Malm's family said his troubles started in childhood. Court records show he was the victim of child neglect and his parents were found guilty in 1993. Malm was taken from his parents' home and put in a state custody at a mental health facility. Phyllis Malm said both she and Gary were beaten as children.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/2913086/detail.html

I'm praying for little Devon.

I'm very interested to find out more about this man. He doesn't strike me as a typical evil parent who abuses his kids. I am certainly NOT defending what he did, he needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law (and then some), but I certainly want to know more. I, personally have never heard a case like this before.

Brefie said:
I'm praying for little Devon.

I'm very interested to find out more about this man. He doesn't strike me as a typical evil parent who abuses his kids. I am certainly NOT defending what he did, he needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law (and then some), but I certainly want to know more. I, personally have never heard a case like this before.

Brefie, there was a case in Texas where the mother and step-father kept a little girl in the closet for years. It was covered in human waste. I can't get too specific because its been a while and I can't remember all the details, but apparently, they took her out once in a while so the step father could sexually abuse her. She had never seen a television, couldn't read, only weighed about 40 pounds and didn't know how old she was, never had been to school. I'm thinking she was about 6 or 7 years old, but thought she was 4 years old. Her mother pleaded guilty and is serving life in prison. I can't remember what happened to the step father - he may not have had his trial yet. The other children in this home (trailer) were fine, went to school, played outside, etc. For some reason, the parent(s) fixate on one child and sometimes heap all of the abuse on that one. This little girl had, at one time, been adopted by another couple. For some unknown reason, the mother wanted her back and the court let her have the girl. The couple who tried to adopt her went back to court after learning of the abuse and they were awarded custody of her and are now raising her.

Mindys, thank you so much for that link. It made me cry when I read that the baby was smiling! Thank GOD they found this little angel before he died. I have so many questions about this case that I hardly know where to begin. I guess we'll have to wait and hope the answers are forthcoming.

The good news about Devon is, from the link in the post above:

"Nobody who sees him now, just days after being taken from his father's south Omaha home, can believe how bad off Devon was when he arrived at the hospital, Hernandez said.

He is sitting up, his legs are straightening, and he has started trying to stand. He also is flashing his old smile, she said.

Doctors expect him to make a full physical recovery. His cognitive abilities will be tested later, after he has had time in a caring and stable environment."

The bad news is that the mother died a year ago and Devon's grandparents, aunts and uncles have known something was "wrong" with Devon, that Malm was depressed and struggling, that the older two children were filthy and reported that their baby brother wasn't walking, talking, etc ---yet Devon ended up in the condition he was in.

It sounds as if the two older children will not be placed with family. Sad, but perhaps the best choice for all.

LP Moderator said:
Mindys, thank you so much for that link. It made me cry when I read that the baby was smiling! Thank GOD they found this little angel before he died. I have so many questions about this case that I hardly know where to begin. I guess we'll have to wait and hope the answers are forthcoming.
You're welcome and I am glad you pointed out Devon's improvement. We are seeing another Miracle here.

The nurses probably bicker over who gets to cuddle little Devon. ;) :angel:

mindys said:
You're welcome and I am glad you pointed out Devon's improvement. We are seeing another Miracle here.

The nurses probably bicker over who gets to cuddle little Devon. ;) :angel:

LOL Mindys!! Its as it SHOULD be!! I'd love to cuddle the little peanut myself!! :D

LPMod, that story is so sad. I wonder if you have read those books by Dave Pelzer? They are his life story. He was abused by his mother who treated his brothers well most of the time. The story is very disturbing.

I wonder what makes these parents pick one child over another for abuse?? It's too sickening.

Brefie said:
LPMod, that story is so sad. I wonder if you have read those books by Dave Pelzer? They are his life story. He was abused by his mother who treated his brothers well most of the time. The story is very disturbing.

I wonder what makes these parents pick one child over another for abuse?? It's too sickening.

No, Brefie, I haven't read them. I don't think I could handle it. I cry just reading these little snippets we have here on WS. I don't understand the singling out of one child either. Maybe when I get some time, I'll do some research on this topic and see what I can dig up.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back