1244 users online (229 members and 1015 guests)  

Websleuths News

Young "adult" hangs himself in prison

I know that he deserves to be punished for his crime. No argument there, but it seems like there should be something in between juvenile and one of the worst prisons there is according to the prison officials. Am I too soft? He was a scared kid.

Authorities say a 17-year-old inmate found dead in his jail cell Friday committed suicide.
    Jonathan McClard is believed to have hanged himself at a correctional facility in Bonne Terre.

McClard, who was serving 30 years for shooting another teen, was about to be housed with adult inmates.

More at link:

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stori....12299349.html

I know about that prison, it's a fairly new maximum prison and a few people I used to work with went to work over there. 1 ended up getting fired and the other couldn't deal with it and finally was able to transfer back to another facility.

VB

I don't think the facility itself scared him, I think it was the 30 year sentence that he couldn't handle!! He didn't want to pay the price for his crime, so he decided to take the easy way out.

one less lowlife in the world

Quote Originally Posted by lisag View Post
    I don't think the facility itself scared him, I think it was the 30 year sentence that he couldn't handle!! He didn't want to pay the price for his crime, so he decided to take the easy way out.
    I doubt a 17-year-old has any concept of how long "30 years" are.

Kids his age are quite regularly used and passed around by adult inmates. No doubt somebody filled the kid in on what was in store...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I doubt a 17-year-old has any concept of how long "30 years" are.

Kids his age are quite regularly used and passed around by adult inmates. No doubt somebody filled the kid in on what was in store...
    And to add to your point the article says:
    In an interview with the Southeast Missourian in Cape Girardeau, McClard said he was nervous about being moved to the Southeast Correctional Center in Charleston. He called the prison "about the worst there is."

It sounds to me like he knew what he was in for.

As to whether suicide is the "easy way out", no one who is alive can possibly know this.

Unfortunately it was too late for him to be sorry.
    He'd committed the crime, he was going to do the time.
    He was most likely scared chitless at the thought of being somebodies b*tch.
    Too bad he didn't think of the dire consequences of his actions.

A young man on one of tv programs about tough prison said they'd trick a young man, knock him out, and they'd wake up sore but afraid to tell. He said they have to get tough and act tough. Even a little 4'10' man was tough and seemed to get by okay.

A creep that age murdered my family member. He did his time and walks this earth today a free man. I can tell you it's no treat passing the person who blew away a loved one especially when he's carting his family around with him. Unfortunately I have no sympathy for someone like that. Watch his family sue the jail he was in, and the State or whoever a person would sue for something like that.

In a way, it's a shame he killed himself. If it were my family member he killed, I would rather him live to pay the price for the crime committed. This way it seems like there is no justice, at least not on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by lymom3 View Post
    I know that he deserves to be punished for his crime. No argument there, but it seems like there should be something in between juvenile and one of the worst prisons there is according to the prison officials. Am I too soft? He was a scared kid.

Authorities say a 17-year-old inmate found dead in his jail cell Friday committed suicide.
    Jonathan McClard is believed to have hanged himself at a correctional facility in Bonne Terre.

McClard, who was serving 30 years for shooting another teen, was about to be housed with adult inmates.

More at link:

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stori....12299349.html
    No, you aren't too soft. The problem is just what you said, there ought to be something in between being too lenient and too harsh. Currently, there isn't anything.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

According to the article, the person he shot did not die but survived.

VB

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    According to the article, the person he shot did not die but survived.

VB

Even in the most basic of gun safety classes they teach that you don't aim a weapon at anything unless you intend to kill it.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!