1156 users online (204 members and 952 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OR - Umatilla Fire Chief Emails Crash Victim Photo

This is almost too disturbing for words...a Fire Chief responded to a car crash scene in November 2007 where a 26 year old female victim wrapped her SUV around a telephone pole. In spite of being told his services were not wanted, he snapped topless photos of the victim, WHO LATER DIED, and emailed them to area fire departments. He has since been suspended...
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ef.photos.wkmg

Twisted minded creep, and I hope instead of being suspended he is fired.

Lion

This is one that could go either way. The rules need to be updated for the technology that is available.

The guy says he takes these photos at every major crash scene for educational purposes. Has anyone ever told him not to before? Are there rules about whether or not this is okay? If not, why?

They shouldn't be emailed, b/c that is just a recipe for trouble, but was there something special about this wreck and how the woman was treated? He wasn't taking topless sexy shots of her...she was topless while she was being treated.

Obviously between this case and the one in CA there needs to be a set of clearly defined rules about first responders and recording accident scenes, privacy rights of victims.

But it sounds like the person who put these pics on the internet, or whoever sent them outside the circle of paramedics/firefighters is the one who should be fired. Up until that point, I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt unless there is something that shows he had been told not to do this in the past.

Angelmom, you are the voice of reason, but seeing how his assistance wasn't wanted, what made him think that photo'ing the scene was his to do?? The elephant in the room was the woman's bare breasts...but I am a cynic. Yes, he said he takes crash scene photos for an investigative tool etc...but this one was not his business...

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Angelmom, you are the voice of reason, but seeing how his assistance wasn't wanted, what made him think that photo'ing the scene was his to do?? The elephant in the room was the woman's bare breasts...but I am a cynic. Yes, he said he takes crash scene photos for an investigative tool etc...but this one was not his business...
    Well, I guess if his assistance was needed, then he couldn't have taken pics.

I'm sure that when people take crime scene/crash scene photos, they don't think of the victims being topless, etc. If his story is true, then he was documenting the event.

Now he might really be a total perv. But if it is true that he has been documenting crashes in the past and sharing the pics to educate his coworkers about different types of rescues, and if it is true that no one has ever counseled him about this being improper, illegal, or imoral before, then I have to wonder if he did anything wrong OR if he knew he was doing anything wrong.

The question is what is the policy, if there even is one in place. Clearly there needs to be.

In my mind, the person who was in the wrong is the person who emailed them outside the circle or who posted them on the internet. Whoever that might be.

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    I've noticed even around here in my small "neck of the woods" first responders, volunteer fire fighters, etc., are snapping photos like crazy at accident scenes, fires, etc., and they all seem to have either web pages, or they're posting them to photo sharing sites and making them public or sending the links to the photos to everyone they know and they're getting forwarded around. I'm not sure I like this. I think it's sort of getting to be a who-can-get-the-most-bizarre-photo contest. And I think it's going to get out of hand.
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

Quote Originally Posted by less0305 View Post
    I've noticed even around here in my small "neck of the woods" first responders, volunteer fire fighters, etc., are snapping photos like crazy at accident scenes, fires, etc., and they all seem to have either web pages, or they're posting them to photo sharing sites and making them public or sending the links to the photos to everyone they know and they're getting forwarded around. I'm not sure I like this. I think it's sort of getting to be a who-can-get-the-most-bizarre-photo contest. And I think it's going to get out of hand.
    I agree that there needs to be some sort of policy in place.

My problem with labeling this guy a perv is that, unless he's lying, he's been doing this in the past and it has never been an issue before.

I think it is a case of the laws/rules not keeping up with technology.

that's messed up.

He should be fired. He wasn't emailing pictures of the vehicle....he emailed pictures of a victim of a serious crime when her shirt was raised.
    I say fire his azze. He has no respect for women nor accident victims.

Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Anas Nin
    I think even if laws are not in place, anyone with an ounce of sense would know better, would be morally repulsed, etc. What could the photo possibly teach?
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

he quit-good choice before her family sues...