962 users online (213 members and 749 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Dean Christy, 62, Green Vallley Lake, Jan 2008

From a news video report (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...51317&src=news)
    Dean Christy, 62, a retired schoolteacher from North Hollywood, CA was last seen Friday walking on a trail near his second home in Green Vallley Lake, CA in the San Bernardino mountains. Cloud level dropped and he became disoriented. He called 911 from his cell phone and stated that he had run out of water and food and that he had not yet established or found shelter. He was not dressed for an extended amount of time outdoors. However, according to his wife, he has a military background and used to teach survival training.

Socalmountains.com has been tracking the SAR operations and has a fairly good rundown of the operations on their website, as well as updates as they have come in over the weekend. http://socalmountains.com/e107_plugi...hp?content.217

This disappearance has not received much attention and, generally speaking, has been reported as part of the larger story of western storms.

From http://www.socalmountains.com (see exact link in first post):

THIS IS THE ORGINAL STORY FROM RIM OF THE WORLD

AT ABOUT 6:30 PM [ed note: Friday, January 7] A CALL CAME THRU TO THE SAN BERNADINO COUNTY SHERRIFS DEPARTMENT THAT A HIKER WAS LOST IN THE GREEN VALLEY AREA.

SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS( SAR) WERE SUMMONED TO HELP OUT

PUBLIC INFO OFFICER ARDEN WITSHIRE TOLD RIM OF THE WORLD DOT NET ) THAT THE UNDENIFIED MAN APPARENTLY LOST HIS WAY IN THE FOG AND BECAME UN SURE OF WHERE HE WAS.

" WE HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA WHERE THIS MAN IS, AND THE AREA HE IS IN , WHITSHIRE NOTED, AND SAR ARE MAKING THEIR WAY INTO HIM IN THE FOG TO REACH HIM,

( MORE AS THIS COMES IN)

More updates are at http://socalmountains.com/e107_plugi...hp?content.217
    Last edited by chicoliving; 02-26-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: violation of copyright; post a paragraph or two ONLY and include the link from any coprighted material

Wink

Hope they find him alive.
    And everyone make it back safely...
    If I ever go hiking in the mountains I'll be da* sure to buy a gps tracking device....

Quote Originally Posted by Pharlap View Post
    Hope they find him alive.
    And everyone make it back safely...
    If I ever go hiking in the mountains I'll be da* sure to buy a gps tracking device....
    Seriously. After the last several weeks and all the 'missing in the wilderness' stories (not to mention the terrible Kim tragedy last year), I'm pretty sure I'd make myself easily findable if ever I was to go off into the wild.

Unrelated to Dean Christy, but the six snowmobilers missing in NM have been found alive. One happy outcome from these horrific storms. There was no thread on these folks here on WS, but perhaps some people had heard about it. They were two families with two teenagers.

Dean Chrisy's son has stated that his father knew how to construct a shelter in the snow.

From http://www.rimoftheworld.net/columns...veloping_story.

A San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department helicopter (40-King) joined the search near Crab Flats Campground for a hiker missing since Friday.

Visibility near Green Valley Lake was poor when the helicopter arrived but clear in the area of the nearby campground about 1800 meters northeast of Green Valley Lake.

Snow cats are shuttling crews in and out of the area where Search and Rescue teams are looking for 62-year-old Dean Christy.

Wink

To all the teams that are working on numbers of case's and past ones
    God Bless them....

Dean Christy was one of my 6th Grade teachers.....

It saddens me greatly to know that the search for Dean Christy has been called off. Well, "scaled back", as they put it, but we know what that means. And it's understandable, given the expense (both physical and monetary) of the search and rescue efforts and knowing that he was not carrying supplies, food, or water with him since he was just going for a walk. Mr. Christy is one of those really great people who has touched the lives of so many people, and who has made lives better because he was a part of them. The only thing I can speak to is that he was a beloved 6th grade teacher who is very fondly remembered by many of his (now adult) students today.

Oh what his wife and son must be feeling right now.....no one should have to endure such a loss. My thoughts are with them and Mr. Christy and I will pray that he is found soon. Alive would be the very best thing, of course, but, if he cannot be found alive, may he be found in a shelter that he made, curled up in his own body's warmth steeling himself against the cold, and having drifted off to sleep with comforting thoughts of this family close in thought and heart.

This story is so tragic! This article has an interview with his wife telling about what happened:

Vanished North Hollywood hiker leaves void behind

http://origin.dailynews.com/news/ci_7982111

Joan Christy's hope now is that search and rescue teams, still searching for Dean Christy's body on the weekends, bring her husband back.

She's waiting until then to organize any memorial services. She also said she hopes to start a memorial fund in her husband's name to benefit search and rescue organizations.

"I haven't allowed myself to think about them not finding him. I could not bear to think of him all alone out there."

What a tragic story. It is so sad when they leave behind their loved ones to take off into the woods and don't return. Bless him and his family. I am sorry for your loss, too, Browneyedkat.

Every time I hear about another hiker missing in such weather, it makes me wonder if they ever check the weather service before going out? I just don't understand it, I guess.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Are they still looking for him? I can sure understand how his wife feels about not being able to stand thinking of him out there all alone if they don't find him. My heart goes out to the wife and child. How sad. I wish they would find him and he has survived.

He sounds like an incredible guy. It's so sad to think of someone lost and wandering trying to get home, disoriented... how awful... I hope he went very quickly and did not feel a thing.
    I wish people would at least bring a compass or SOMETHING with them when they take off hiking in the woods.. especially in the wintertime!!! It's so incredibly easy to miss one familiar landmark and get lost... no matter how experienced you are.
    RIP.

re: Missing Hiker - Dean Christy

I have been unable to find any information on this search. Does anyone out there have any updated information? Have they found him? Have I missed the memorial service (if one was organized prior to this entry, that is?). I need to call the school, but I checked here first. I think of him every morning as I enter the fwy to go to work - my car is headed in the direction of those mountains. My heart just breaks for this family..... If any updates are our there please leave a reply and I will check back here - meanwhile I'll call the school.

Update...

Article Dated April 9th, 2008 Associated Press

Hikder Missing for 3 months found dead in mountains

A search-and-rescue team on patrol in the San Bernardino Mountains has found the body of a hiker missing for three months...More...