Cayle Bywater-Athen, GA-Missing 12-29-07

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Cayle Bywater is described as a white female, 5’3” tall, 113 pounds, with curly brown hair and blue eyes.
http://news.google.com/news?imgefp=g...ter-010108.jpg

Cayle Bywater, 29, Athens GA

Photo of Cayle Bywater: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_...storyid=109184

Bywater, 29, was last seen Dec. 29 as she chased her dog near the park, which is off South Milledge Avenue not far from Bywater's home.

A photograph taken in the park about 4 p.m. Dec. 29 shows Bywater in the background, wearing glasses, Vans slip-on sneakers, jeans and a blue jacket with red stripes on its sleeves and chest. Her brown Vizsla hunting dog, Ollie, is with her in the photograph.

~snip~

Police found the back door open at her South Milledge Avenue house after she missed work at a Five Points wine bar Dec. 29 and 30. Her keys, wallet, cell phone and car were at the house.
Police, helped by dozens of volunteers, searched the park and dragged the park's small lake last week.

Ollie was found running unattended in the park the afternoon of Dec. 30. When searchers brought the dog back to help search, the dog led them to a place near Bywater's South Milledge Avenue home, which made relatives think Bywater disappeared from that spot.

While police haven't ruled out foul play, they also say Bywater might have gone off on her own. Bywater was bipolar, raising the possibility that she could have gone off her medication and gotten lost.

Relatives believe she may have been abducted, however.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/011108/news_20080111049.shtml

Angelwngs posted:
Eyeglasses DO MATCH Cayle Bywater
~snip~Glasses belong to missing woman Found at Memorial Park

Cayle Bywater, missing for nearly two weeks, was last seen chasing her dog near Memorial Park in Athens.By Lee Shearer | lee.shearer@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 11:22 PM on Thursday, January 10, 2008

Eyeglasses found in Athens' Memorial Park belong to a local woman who disappeared nearly two weeks ago, Athens-Clarke police said Thursday.
The frames matched photos of Cayle Bywater wearing the eyeglasses, and police also checked the lens prescription against Bywater's prescription, said police department spokeswoman Hilda Sorrow.~snip~

much more in link:

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0111...80111049.shtml

I don't know why they would be surprised to find her eyeglass in the park where she went missing. :waitasec: However, it tells me what an inadequate department they have investigating her disappearance since it took 2 weeks for some kid to find the glasses FOR them!!

If her glasses were tossed under a bush when they have proof they were on her face at 4:00 pm the day she was in the park and went missing...Isn't is a reasonable assumption she met with foul play of some sort?!

This woman isn't the whack job they first portrayed her to be, imo. She is intelligent and quite accomplished, in fact. This makes me very angry they only focused on the bipolar issue.
~
Bywater was a University of Georgia graduate student, enrolled in a master's of Internet technology program at UGA's Gwinnett College campus. She also had worked as a data management employee in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, UGA spokesman Tom Jackson said.

~snip~

Still, Athens-Clarke police now have enlisted the help of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which assigned investigators to the case beginning Thursday, Sorrow said

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0111...80111049.shtml

Thank Goodness! In the same article, I see the GBI is joining the investigation. Would they be calling in the GBI if they didn't suspect a link to Hilton or think there was foul play? Something is cooking in Athens right now. I think there is a good possibility it has everything to do with GMH.

I never in my life have heard of so MANY ppl with bipolar....:eek:

I think it is only coming to light more with certain behaviors (such as Brit S.) and people being more open to disclosing the condition. Bipolar does carry with it a stigma of irrational behavior etc.

That is great news about GBI.

I agree as it appears they botched this case from the beginning. Crucial evidence probably is gone and my hope is they can still find something to tie her to her abductor.

Just heard an update that they are pretty sure GMH was not involved in this one. The GBI has evidence he was somewhere else when Cayle disappeared. I wonder where and how firm this is.

No link b/c it was a radio report. Sorry.

Just heard an update that they are pretty sure GMH was not involved in this one. The GBI has evidence he was somewhere else when Cayle disappeared. I wonder where and how firm this is.

No link b/c it was a radio report. Sorry.

I wonder how firm it is too..he would have had time to committ this murder, Dunlop's and Meredith's without any trouble. These areas are all very close. Dunlap was only a 5 hour drive away. I hope because they now suspect him in Dunlaps that they are not saying due to this he couldn't be involved in Cayle's..because that is not right time wise.

I think they need to wait until they find evidence which rules out Hilton completely before they take him off the table on this one.

Body Of Missing UGA Student Found

POSTED: 6:23 pm EST January 11, 2008
UPDATED: 6:29 pm EST January 11, 2008

ATHENS, Ga. -- The body of missing UGA student Cayle Bywater has been found, police said.

Late Friday, divers found Bywater's body in a lake at Memorial Park off Milledge Avenue in Athens, police said.

The park is the last place Bywater had been seen.

Bywater disappeared on Dec. 29. Earlier this week, someone found her glasses near a garbage at the park, investigators said.

Link:
http://www.cbs46.com/news/15032979/detail.html

i don't think Hilton had anything to do with this either....nothing was stolen..(wallet was at her home)...haven't heard anything about an ATM card being used either.....

http://onlineathens.com/stories/011108/news_bodyfound.shtml

snip~The white female found in the lake did not appear at first glance to have been the victim of violence, Clarke County Coroner Bobby Tribble said.
"There weren't any signs of obvious trauma," Tribble said.
GBI will conduct the autopsy Saturday, and should have results in "a day or two," Tribble said.
Athens-Clarke police called in the Hall County Sheriff's Department's 10-person dive team today to search the lake. Investigators already had dredged the lake last week, but wanted to check it again, although they had no specific reason to believe Bywater might be found there, Athens-Clarke police Maj. Mark Sizemore said.
"We were looking at expanding the search, and in order to do that, we had to eliminate everything in the park, including the lake," he said.
The dive team was "extremely helpful," Sizemore said.
GBI agents and a Georgia State Patrol helicopter also helped look for Bywater.
Authorities do not believe there was a link between the Bywater case and Gary Michael Hilton, a 61-year-old drifter who police say kidnapped and killed University of Georgia graduate Meredith Emerson earlier this month while she hiked in the North Georgia woods. They have not completely ruled out such a link, though.~~snip

More at link above for Athens Banner Herald.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/011108/news_bodyfound.shtml

snip~The white female found in the lake did not appear at first glance to have been the victim of violence, Clarke County Coroner Bobby Tribble said.
"There weren't any signs of obvious trauma," Tribble said.
GBI will conduct the autopsy Saturday, and should have results in "a day or two," Tribble said.
Athens-Clarke police called in the Hall County Sheriff's Department's 10-person dive team today to search the lake. Investigators already had dredged the lake last week, but wanted to check it again, although they had no specific reason to believe Bywater might be found there, Athens-Clarke police Maj. Mark Sizemore said.
"We were looking at expanding the search, and in order to do that, we had to eliminate everything in the park, including the lake," he said.
The dive team was "extremely helpful," Sizemore said.
GBI agents and a Georgia State Patrol helicopter also helped look for Bywater.
Authorities do not believe there was a link between the Bywater case and Gary Michael Hilton, a 61-year-old drifter who police say kidnapped and killed University of Georgia graduate Meredith Emerson earlier this month while she hiked in the North Georgia woods. They have not completely ruled out such a link, though.~~snip

More at link above for Athens Banner Herald.

Thanks for keeping us up to date
on Cayle, I guess she just walked in the lake after she threw her glasses out by the trashcan!!

What a sad ending. I'm glad they at least found her.

Prayers for Cayle and her family and friends.

:(
fran

Yes, I am glad they found her and sad it was such an ending. Now hopefully they will take some initiative to work her case and find out what happened to her.

According to that report, my guess is that the FBI or GBI came in and decided they need to redo the work of that PD. Good thing they second guessed em.

Well, she was found in the water in a pond..but if she could swim, then I think someone helped her drown. Her glasses were found in the bushes which tome suggests a struggle took place. Who knows Hilton could have tried to take her for money or a bank card..finding neither he drowned her in the pond. Far fetched, yes..but stranger things have happened.

It appears to me her dog got loose while she was involved with the computer. She realized this and went to go get the dog. First thinking she would take the car, that's why her ID and wallet were there, then instead deciding to check the park on foot. Someone intercepted her and murdered her...people just don't drown in a pond on their own in the middle of January anywhere. I hope LE doesn't just write this off like it was a summer day, she went swimming and drowned. In my opinion that's not the case here.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back