Seperated at Birth Twins Marry Each Other

sillygoose

Reaction score
"Twins separated at birth have married each other without realising they were brother and sister, it has been revealed.

The British couple have now been granted an annulment after a special High Court hearing. Judges ruled the marriage had never validly existed.
Full details of how the brother and sister fell in love and married have been kept secret, along with their identities.
But it has emerged that they were separated soon after birth.
Each was then adopted by different families but neither was told they had a twin.
The couple had no idea they were blood relatives until after their wedding, a report in today's Evening Standard revealed."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...nowing+they+are+brother+and+sister/article.do

Imo, what is more bizarre than the story is the comments at the bottom of the article. People are saying they should be able to stay together if they are in love. Gee, I didn't know incest was so popular with folks these days. :sick:

This is so, so, so disturbing.

Flowers in the attic!!!!!!

This is so horrible, I feel so very sorry for them. Can you imagine doing 'married couple things', and before that, dating things, and then finding out you are actually twins? Not only shuddering at the past, but also seeing your entire hoped-for future go down the drain. How devastating this must be for them..... :(

I would think it would be very hard to stop thinking of the person in that way, and then there would be all kinds of complicated guilt and shame resulting, wondering if something was wrong with you for feeling that way.

It makes you wonder if there is any real "wrong" in it except genetic. They are not siblings in any but the biological sense of the word. If they were voluntarily sterilized to prevent birth defects, could they stay married?

The twins certainly didn't do anything wrong. Hmmm...that would be an interesting ethics/religious/legal case to discuss in many fields of study.

I feel so bad for them. They must be grieving terribly, and there's no support out there for this type of thing. At least widows/widowers and divorcees can find others to talk to who have experienced a similar loss. It must be a terribly lonely feeling.

It actually kind of makes you wonder if this has happened elsewhere but the people involved don't realize it.

It actually kind of makes you wonder if this has happened elsewhere but the people involved don't realize it.

I'm sure it has. Either a situation like this, or kids born from the same sperm donor or something like that.

These folks weren't siblings in any psychological or emotional sense. I don't see this being a case of "incest."

I'm sure it has. Either a situation like this, or kids born from the same sperm donor or something like that.

These folks weren't siblings in any psychological or emotional sense. I don't see this being a case of "incest."

So you're saying that step-children, unrelated by blood, raised together for their entire childhood is incest, but the twin thing is not?

Oh God, this discussion is starting to hit close to home..

So you're saying that step-children, unrelated by blood, raised together for their entire childhood is incest, but the twin thing is not?

I think so. Incest, to me is psychological. There is something wrong with having sexual feelings about a sibling, parent, child, grandchild, etc. In this case, the people are complete strangers except for an accident of biology, just like kids from donor eggs, sperm or zygotes.

Step children who have no blood ties whatsoever but who are raised as siblings their whole life should not have sexual feelings for one another. Obviously the age at which they are introduced and how closely they live together would factor into how normal a romantic relationship might be. Don't you think it is incest if adopted siblings have a sexual relationship? Even if they are not genetically linked? How about a step-father who has sex with a step-child? No biological link there, but I think we would all agree that is incest as well.

I actually have a friend who was in this situation. Her dad and step-mom met and started dating because she and her (now) step-brother were dating first. I don't see this as incestuous b/c the kids were dating first, my friend wasn't living with her dad at the time, and they were in their mid teens when they met. It's not like they grew up taking baths together. They were even engaged and lived together for awhile. But now that they are both married to other people, it is very complicated. Obviously her DH and his wife are not totally comfortable around the other couple, so family occasions are a little strained. It is not normal, even though I don't think there was anything creepy or unusual about how it started.

I think this link backs me up:

http://incestabuse.about.com/cs/incestrecovery/f/whatincest.htm

Incest may also occur when there is an imbalance of power between the people involved, as in a relationship between a teacher and a student. Stepparents and stepchildren relationships seem to blur the line, but generally any sexual contact between legally related persons is considered incest.

These siblings are not LEGALLY related since their adoption. Like I said, it's an interesting discussion. I still can't help but feel for their loss.

I think so. Incest, to me is psychological. There is something wrong with having sexual feelings about a sibling, parent, child, grandchild, etc. In this case, the people are complete strangers except for an accident of biology, just like kids from donor eggs, sperm or zygotes.

Step children who have no blood ties whatsoever but who are raised as siblings their whole life should not have sexual feelings for one another. Obviously the age at which they are introduced and how closely they live together would factor into how normal a romantic relationship might be. Don't you think it is incest if adopted siblings have a sexual relationship? Even if they are not genetically linked? How about a step-father who has sex with a step-child? No biological link there, but I think we would all agree that is incest as well.

I actually have a friend who was in this situation. Her dad and step-mom met and started dating because she and her (now) step-brother were dating first. I don't see this as incestuous b/c the kids were dating first, my friend wasn't living with her dad at the time, and they were in their mid teens when they met. It's not like they grew up taking baths together. They were even engaged and lived together for awhile. But now that they are both married to other people, it is very complicated. Obviously her DH and his wife are not totally comfortable around the other couple, so family occasions are a little strained. It is not normal, even though I don't think there was anything creepy or unusual about how it started.

I think this link backs me up:

http://incestabuse.about.com/cs/incestrecovery/f/whatincest.htm

Incest may also occur when there is an imbalance of power between the people involved, as in a relationship between a teacher and a student. Stepparents and stepchildren relationships seem to blur the line, but generally any sexual contact between legally related persons is considered incest.

These siblings are not LEGALLY related since their adoption. Like I said, it's an interesting discussion. I still can't help but feel for their loss.

What angelmom said! I think the damage from incest is from having the imbalance in the family, not from the genetic aspect.

those were good books, disturbing, but I read them all.

I read them all years ago in college too!!!! CREEPY!!!! I remember I always felt weird when I was reading them almost obsessive with the story could hardly go to bed at night and got up really early so I could read more.

Thats SO weird. I just heard my roomie laughing hysterically and i asked her what was so funny and she told me this story was just on some channel with the "we are family" theme song playing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back