Off Topic Discussions

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Dee10134 Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson
Good, be safe rather than sorry. I already lost one computer this year to hacking.

This is totally off topic, but you don't LOSE a computer to hacking.

Just an FYI: If you are hacked, it is usually completely reversible as long as your hard drive is still spinning. The worst case scenario is that you would have to format your system, which essentially is erasing everything on your hard drive and starting all over with a fresh installation of Windows. A proficient tech should be able to reverse the effects of hacking without a format (and save your data).

Dee10134 Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart
I had it in my favorites and when I clicked on it shared the hebejebee out of me.. was big black screen with hand says this site has been hacked by such and such.. didnt stay around long enuff to take notes. LOL I had it saved twice tried other one same thing.. ran scans and my comp is ok...Thank goodness!!

Just because the SITE is hacked does not necessarily mean your PC is in any danger. As long as you don't DOWNLOAD anything off of the site, you would be fine (assuming you have an up-to-date antivirus software program running).

Dee10134 Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson
O/T It was going to cost as much or nearly as much as a new computer. This was at Best Buys and the geek squad.

O/T: I'd NEVER recommend the "Geek Squad" to ANYONE... I'm a certified IT professional. I'd never charge as much as the Geek Squad and I'd have to say I'm much more highly qualified than their "associates". Try independent IT consulting firms in your area, next time you need computer assistance. Usually they have very reasonable hourly rates ($40-75 an hour) for in-home service and may even offer a free 1/2 hour to an hour for "discovery" of your problem. The "Geek Squad" will render you penniless and their ultimate goal is to up sell you to a new computer anyways...

Okay, enough of the O/T convo! LOL I could go on and on all day long about their incompetencies! LOL :doh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee10134
This is totally off topic, but you don't LOSE a computer to hacking.

Just an FYI: If you are hacked, it is usually completely reversible as long as your hard drive is still spinning. The worst case scenario is that you would have to format your system, which essentially is erasing everything on your hard drive and starting all over with a fresh installation of Windows. A proficient tech should be able to reverse the effects of hacking without a format (and save your data).

Off topic~ I would consider the Backdoor trojans that crashed my last two computers as being "hacked". I did have two different types of virus protectors which were up to date...yet failed to recognize it immediately. One did finally recognize it, but then was unable to delete or to quarantine it. I was first swamped with ads then it went to the blue screen of death for a computer...I consider this "LOST". So you are telling me this isn't being hacked, in a way? And my other two computers can be saved?! :confused:

How many times on WS have I saved a photo or downloaded a page? Do these things count? (Moving this to the new OFF TOPIC thread, so please don't quote or answer me here!!! Thanks!)

GlitchWizard Quote:
Originally Posted by dee10134
This is totally off topic, but you don't LOSE a computer to hacking. ....

This is exactly why Geek Squad and others can charge you so much money - people don't know. My advice is always to call someone you know is good with computers before you call a repair guy. Chances are, some teenager they know can come fix it for free or a batch of cookies.

A couple of weeks ago I also had a backdoor trojan my virus protector didn't catch. I tried and tried to get rid of it. That sucker had some great resucitators(sp) on it. I finally restored my computer to the last safe day, which was only two days before thank god. So I really didn't lose much info.

Through word of mouth I found a guy who will work on my computer the same day and sometimes right in front of me. :woohoo:

Well, I am glad you found a "guy"! I used to have a guy, but he couldn't do it anymore due to health reasons. My other guy helped me build my new one and when he saw what a mess it was with this virus...he didn't want to spend eons on it. So I bought another new one. I will say I bought Stop Sign and thought they were great. (And it was...they would redo the registry and put it back fully operational...as long as they caught the virus...which they didn't.) Needless to say...someone got the better of me and I hate computers now. LOL

I do not download stuff from the internet! I don't fall for stuff where I give them an in. I go to sites just like this and I do download photos from normal media sites that I have to upload to photobucket to reload here. Like everyone does...yes? How does this virus catch me on two or three computers when I am soooo cautious? I would love to know~

NOW TELL ME HOW TO PREVENT IT!

SS, you are doing about all you can do. The dang trojan and spyware virus' are forever evolving to where virus protectors can't keep up. I know with my last incident, I went to an iffy site researching body disposal methods for the Peterson case. An active X request came up and I approved it. Things went to hell in a hand basket real quick. I'll never do that again for a site like that!

I think our investigations take us to very odd websites. More so than the normal person and what virus protectors are designed for.

Well, I am glad you found a "guy"! I used to have a guy, but he couldn't do it anymore due to health reasons. My other guy helped me build my new one and when he saw what a mess it was with this virus...he didn't want to spend eons on it. So I bought another new one. I will say I bought Stop Sign and thought they were great. (And it was...they would redo the registry and put it back fully operational...as long as they caught the virus...which they didn't.) Needless to say...someone got the better of me and I hate computers now. LOL

I do not download stuff from the internet! I don't fall for stuff where I give them an in. I go to sites just like this and I do download photos from normal media sites that I have to upload to photobucket to reload here. Like everyone does...yes? How does this virus catch me on two or three computers when I am soooo cautious? I would love to know~

NOW TELL ME HOW TO PREVENT IT!

If you're using IE (Internet Explorer for those that are drawing a blank - hey it's the weekend) STOP USING IE - REPEAT - STOP USING IE-

ALOT of viruses/hacks/spyware/keyloggers/ etc RUN on the ACTIVEX script. Mozilla does NOT allow it.

PLUS - FF has the lovely,awesome, wonderful, feature of "tabbed" browsing..try it, like it, love it!!

I don't understand..IE also has tabbed browsing. I think the problem is alot of the ajc also have links to kudzu ..which don't even open that link..everything and anything is there...notice the ajc articles always have other articles on the right hand side of the screen..kudzu is always listed there. Kudzu is a vine plant that grows in the south at an appalling rate and takes over everything it comes into contact with..never open a kudzu link. Of cousre my experince with Kudzu is just that , mine..so this is just my opinion.

If you're using IE (Internet Explorer for those that are drawing a blank - hey it's the weekend) STOP USING IE - REPEAT - STOP USING IE-

ALOT of viruses/hacks/spyware/keyloggers/ etc RUN on the ACTIVEX script. Mozilla does NOT allow it.

PLUS - FF has the lovely,awesome, wonderful, feature of "tabbed" browsing..try it, like it, love it!!

JJ - I think you're being a little harsh with telling everyone to stop using IE. It does have it's shortcomings, but many people don't know what "Mozilla" or "FF" is. If you're trying to be helpful, perhaps provide a link to where users can download FireFox themselves.

And just FYI - IE version 7 also has tabbed browsing; it's been out for quite some time now.

Mozilla Firefox is the web browser i've been using for years now. It's free to download and use, and there are a lot less pop ups than with Internet Explorer.

Mozilla Firefox is the web browser i've been using for years now. It's free to download and use, and there are a lot less pop ups than with Internet Explorer.

I agree. But, I can't play spades anymore. I was becoming a champion but that is Ok since I have had so many other issues. I am rather safe than sorry. The people that hack me are always looking for a back door. Fortunately I have authorities on their back door.

Thank you for showing the child to the bathroom, SS. Or is this a closet? You all have a nice forum. Bye.

hmm. I haven't checked here all week and I have missed a bunch! I am surprised he plead guilty. I hope he starts telling all the things he has done. He has nothing to lose now.

Thank you for showing the child to the bathroom, SS. Or is this a closet? You all have a nice forum. Bye.
Gosh, I never meant to offend anyone. :( I am sorry, Alex. I thought you were being sincere on the other thread and wanted a place to chat.

I don't understand this? It was nothing directed at you Alex, just SS trying to keep all the threads relevant, and for ease of reading for the guests and members that come here on limited time. This way, all information is in the threads and they are not bogged down w/ our chitchat!

If you'll notice through the threads we ALL get off topic at one point or another, and that's usually when a thread is started for chit chat, and off topic discussion.

hope that helps a bit!

Amen - I have far less problems with my computer since switching to FoxFire for browsing and Thunderbird for email. The next computer will be using the Linux OS - I've had it with WINDOWS anything.
hmm. I haven't checked here all week and I have missed a bunch! I am surprised he plead guilty. I hope he starts telling all the things he has done. He has nothing to lose now.
Unfortunately, the talk of the Dawson County DA not honoring the plea agreement the Union County DA brokered seems to have frightened GMH into silence. Since his crimes span multiple states, I'm wondering if the FBI could get involved and promise to charge him in federal court rather than in local jurisdictions and promise him no death penalty. At his age and in his health, even if he was sentenced to death he would die naturally before he was executed. I would rather give the families of the victims some closure rather than see justice done in this case, but I'm more of a let's fix what wrong so it doesn't happen again / victims' right advocate than punitive person. I understand many see this issue differently and respect that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back