1264 users online (223 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    I wonder where Gary Hilton was back then? Hey, he had to start somewhere and they were at campgrounds possibly up and down the coast. His stomping ground and he had to start somewhere. You just never know where or when.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread. Did you post it in Hilton's forum under SC possible victims?

Although anything is possible, they did have a suspect at the time. They did find the weapon that killed the couple.
    I couldn't find the link, but this information is in the first thread, page 13, post 302, posted by phenolred.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops300 View Post
    Although anything is possible, they did have a suspect at the time. They did find the weapon that killed the couple.
    I couldn't find the link, but this information is in the first thread, page 13, post 302, posted by phenolred.

Here is the link to the page on the Crime Library article that talks about finding the weapon.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou..._couple/4.html
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Back from lurking-I took a look at a few Surname websites to get a sense of the most common French surnames for example, although I can't remember if it was clear that he might have been Gallic vs say Scottish. In any case, I am not a master at the internet, but here is a link to the site:
    http://www.searchforancestors.com/su...hsurnames.html

I thought it might be worth a thought to run the names, either most common or those that may be associated with a wealthy family, to see if anyone comes up. I don't have the time to devote to this and do a proper job, I have to say and you might have already done this.

Back to lurking...

Whatever happen to them testing their DNA to see if they were related? Has anybody ever heard anything??

yes, The DNA results have NOT came back yet....still waiting

Back on the old thread someone had wondered about happenings in the area, around the time of the murders. They had even stated any large EVENTS that would have drawn crowds etc.
    I had started some reasearch on the T-shirt he was wearing, since we have so closely looked the the ring, the watch and the matches, I thought why not the Shirt, it could hold some clues into what he was like or his interest.
    The T-shirt was for IMSA Camel GT series race. Actually the Sebring( florida) race in 1975. That race was in January 1975. I went back and looked at the racing schedule for 1975 and 1976.
    What I found very interesting is this, There was a race August 7, 1976 in Talladega Alabama. They were killed August 9, 1976. The next race on the schedule was for August 15th 1976 in the Poconos. Pennsalvainya.
    So, I wondered maybe he was a big racing fan, or a crew member of some sort.
    Maybe they left the race Aug 7, and were on their way to the race in Penn, they would have been traveling in the right direction for that.
    There were alot of foreign race car drivers in this series, which could have attracted alot of foreign race fans. Also, the race just PRIOR to the Aug 7th race was in Sonoma California on July 25th 1976. So, if they were travelling the country following these races, they could have left Cali, and went thru New Mexico, WHERE THEY COULD HAVE got the Matches, since this as one of the ONLY states they could get those. Also, those type of rings she was wearing.
    So here is the BIGGY and actually what led me to research along these lines. I was looking up drug smuggling in the 1970's and I found out that there was a BIG DRUG SMUGGLING Ring among some of the MAJOR racing teams in this racing series. Yep the IMSA had a big drug scandal and people went to jail, there were attempted murders etc etc. They were smuggling drugs to finance their racing teams. These were rich and powerful people. Of of the major players was a man named John Paul Sr.
    The man the actually found the racing series even SAID IMSA COULD STAND FOR THE "INTERNATIONAL DRUG SMUGGLERS ASSOCIATION"

I found this info

It seems he is once again a wanted fugitive this time for the disappearace of his girlfriend at the time, in Florida

John Paul Sr., the former race car driver who fled to Switzerland and forfeited a $500,000 bond rather than face an attempted-murder charge in Florida, has been returned to the state to stand trial. The 46-year-old Paul, who also faces Federal drug charges that he conspired to import 200,000 tons of Colombian marijuana into the United States from 1975 to 1983, is accused of shooting a Federal drug witness at a Florida boat dock in 1983.
    March 30, 1986
    In the early 1980s, IMSA sportscar racing was rife with drug scandals. These involved John Paul Sr and Jr, Randy Lanier and the Whittington Brothers. John Paul Jr was jailed from June 1986 to October 1988 after pleading guilty to racketeering, while John Paul Sr was given a 25 year sentence after pleading guilty to importing marijuana, tax evasion, possession of a false passport and shooting a federal witness. John Paul Sr had shot Stephen Carson, a witness in the Federal inquiry on narcotics smuggling in north Florida, on April 19 1982 at a boat ramp. Carson actually survived 5 bullets at close range and it was his testimony that made for a quick conviction.

On Dec 13th 1983 he failed to appear for sentencing and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Judge Richard Weinberg of St. Johns County Circuit Court ordered his $500,000 bond forfeited. He was on the run for several years and was eventually arrested in Geneva, Switzerland, by FBI officers.
    He finally got out of jail in 1992 and bought a 55-foot yacht which he lived on. He changed the name of his boat to from "Island Girl" to "Diamond Girl." John Paul Sr. disappeared again in 2001 and was wanted for questioning regarding his missing ex-girlfriend in Miami.

hr

Last edited by phenolred; 01-29-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by phenolred View Post
    I found this info

It seems he is once again a wanted fugitive this time for the disappearace of his girlfriend at the time, in Florida

John Paul Sr., the former race car driver who fled to Switzerland and forfeited a $500,000 bond rather than face an attempted-murder charge in Florida, has been returned to the state to stand trial. The 46-year-old Paul, who also faces Federal drug charges that he conspired to import 200,000 tons of Colombian marijuana into the United States from 1975 to 1983, is accused of shooting a Federal drug witness at a Florida boat dock in 1983.
    March 30, 1986
    In the early 1980s, IMSA sportscar racing was rife with drug scandals. These involved John Paul Sr and Jr, Randy Lanier and the Whittington Brothers. John Paul Jr was jailed from June 1986 to October 1988 after pleading guilty to racketeering, while John Paul Sr was given a 25 year sentence after pleading guilty to importing marijuana, tax evasion, possession of a false passport and shooting a federal witness. John Paul Sr had shot Stephen Carson, a witness in the Federal inquiry on narcotics smuggling in north Florida, on April 19 1982 at a boat ramp. Carson actually survived 5 bullets at close range and it was his testimony that made for a quick conviction.

On Dec 13th 1983 he failed to appear for sentencing and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Judge Richard Weinberg of St. Johns County Circuit Court ordered his $500,000 bond forfeited. He was on the run for several years and was eventually arrested in Geneva, Switzerland, by FBI officers.
    He finally got out of jail in 1992 and bought a 55-foot yacht which he lived on. He changed the name of his boat to from "Island Girl" to "Diamond Girl." John Paul Sr. disappeared again in 2001 and was wanted for questioning regarding his missing ex-girlfriend in Miami.

hr

Great find, phenolred! Many of us have always thought drugs had something to do with this but never connected it to racing. This information could be very significant in pointing the investgation in a new direction!

Quote Originally Posted by phenolred View Post
    Back on the old thread someone had wondered about happenings in the area, around the time of the murders. They had even stated any large EVENTS that would have drawn crowds etc.
    I had started some reasearch on the T-shirt he was wearing, since we have so closely looked the the ring, the watch and the matches, I thought why not the Shirt, it could hold some clues into what he was like or his interest.
    The T-shirt was for IMSA Camel GT series race. Actually the Sebring( florida) race in 1975. That race was in January 1975. I went back and looked at the racing schedule for 1975 and 1976.
    What I found very interesting is this, There was a race August 7, 1976 in Talladega Alabama. They were killed August 9, 1976. The next race on the schedule was for August 15th 1976 in the Poconos. Pennsalvainya.
    So, I wondered maybe he was a big racing fan, or a crew member of some sort.
    Maybe they left the race Aug 7, and were on their way to the race in Penn, they would have been traveling in the right direction for that.
    There were alot of foreign race car drivers in this series, which could have attracted alot of foreign race fans. Also, the race just PRIOR to the Aug 7th race was in Sonoma California on July 25th 1976. So, if they were travelling the country following these races, they could have left Cali, and went thru New Mexico, WHERE THEY COULD HAVE got the Matches, since this as one of the ONLY states they could get those. Also, those type of rings she was wearing.
    So here is the BIGGY and actually what led me to research along these lines. I was looking up drug smuggling in the 1970's and I found out that there was a BIG DRUG SMUGGLING Ring among some of the MAJOR racing teams in this racing series. Yep the IMSA had a big drug scandal and people went to jail, there were attempted murders etc etc. They were smuggling drugs to finance their racing teams. These were rich and powerful people. Of of the major players was a man named John Paul Sr.
    The man the actually found the racing series even SAID IMSA COULD STAND FOR THE "INTERNATIONAL DRUG SMUGGLERS ASSOCIATION"

The matches could have also come from the Grants Truck Stops in New Mexico, Nebraska or Idaho. I also think IF they were drug dealers they would of had lots of money I have never known a drug dealer that was broke. I think the guy that had the gun that killed them has something to do with killing John and Jane Doe. I think somebody covered something up there.
    http://www.myspace.com/helpidunknownman1976

http://www.myspace.com/helpidunknownwoman1976

I noticed there is another famous race track near where they were murdered. Darlington. Also, I have been lurking around some of the racing message boards and have found several that are talking about the drug issue and how big it was within the racing community just THE IMSA SERIES. So after lurking for awhile I signed up at one of them and posted a message about the drugs and said something about a couple of unidentified people and wondered if it had a connection. They deleted my post rather quickly. Then completely blocked me erased me from the whole foruom. I tried sigining in and it says NO SUCH USER. I didnt say anything more than what the people on there were already saying. I had also asked since some of the people knew insiders, I asked if they might have know a guy and maybe a girl that were on a crew and they just dissapeared or stopped coming around 1976. HOW STRANGE why dont they want that asked?

here is a link for more info
    http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=161778

Here's a reply on what Sr. is up to.

http://www.unsolved.com/0213-Wood.html

Whoa, Phenol, that is creepy. Yet very interesting.

Yean now we need to try and find any connection between these people that were financing their racing teams with drug smuggling and South or North Carolina. We have the Whittington brothers, Don was one Randy Lanier was a name and John Paul jr & Sr. Marty Hintz was mentioned on one website. Im sure there are other names but this is a start. They only had one suspect, Lonnie Henry he was the man who owend the murder weapon and later admitted to filing off the serial number I wonder if he or his friends had ties to Racing.

I think that the people that were hanging around that racing circuit back in 1976 are long gone. I am sure it's a whole new crowd of people now. It was 33 years ago. Like I said if these 2 were drug dealers they would of had money and they didn't seem to have any. I still think the guy that had the gun that was used to kill them has something to do with their death.

I think these 2 young people that were murdered, had been traveling around; vagabond style, hippie nomad almost during that time, and had witnessed something they weren't supposed to. They were murdered so they wouldn't say anything. They could have had a small camp set up nearby; the killer/s would have gotten rid of their belongings. I think they came from out west..
    I think some towns want to keep their secrets..

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast