OR OR - Brian Wells, 43, Salem, 11 Jan 2008

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/january122008/salem_man_fall_11208.php

12 Jan 08

Friday at approximately 6:00 PM, 43-year old Brian Albert Wells of Salem, reportedly stopped at Rocky Creek State Park wayside with his 54-year old wife and a 62-year old male friend to take pictures.

His wife and friend said they had traveled to the coast for the day and stopped at a wayside to take photographs. They said that Mr. Wells was leaning over the edge to take pictures when he lost his balance. They said Brian Wells fell about 60 feet where he landed on rocks and water.

more at link

pic
wells_brian_340.jpg

This just doesn't pass the sniff test. I lived on the Oregon Coast for many years. At this time of the year, it is DARK. Even the sun has set, so they wouldn't have been photographing that either.

I would say to check and see how much insurance he had. Sorry - guess I'm just cynical.

Smells fishy to me. Wondering if the wife and the male friend were having an affair? Probably unfair of me to say such a thing since we have no information, but I was suspicious the minute I read that he fell and that the wife and friend were there. I hope we're all wrong.

Smells fishy to me. Wondering if the wife and the male friend were having an affair? Probably unfair of me to say such a thing since we have no information, but I was suspicious the minute I read that he fell and that the wife and friend were there. I hope we're all wrong.

I thought the same thing. Hope they check out the husband's insurance and other assets. It does get dark here really early and the weather has been so wet that I can't see anyone going out to take pictures. Our days have been really grey. Pictures probably wouldn't even turn out. I hope LE pays attention to this big whooper of a story. I've read and watched other storys just like this one and the guilty person eventially gets caught. Hope the same thing happens here if this man didn't slip and fall.

I'm not buying that he fell. I hope this is investigated further.

Interesting case. My question is, what evidence is there that Brian was ever there to fall in to begin with? If he was, was he alive? He could have been tossed off. Reminds me of the case where a young man who fell to his death along the Oregon coast and his wife was later prosecuted for his death. I can't remember the names. I lived in Seaside and graduated from High School there. My parents ownded a motel.

People are always falling off the cliffs there. In the past year or so the creator/producer for "COPS" fell to his death there as well. However, the wife and husbands best friend angle makes me highly suspicious. There wouldn't be any witnesses around at 6pm. The time itself is very odd. IMO, only drunk teenagers up to no good brave the isolated, dark, very cold, windy and wet cliffs at night. I have a hard time buying that grown-ups were there sightseeing.

According to the below linked article. The search for Brian has ended. That was quick.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/13732187.html

Scroll down at the below link to find Update & Photos: Missing Person Investigation - Rocky Creek State Park south of Depoe Bay (Photo) - 01/12/08

There are three photo links of the coast. Must have been taken by OSP the next day as it is very light out.

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1002

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read that and thought it stunk to high heaven. To me, the age disparities are odd, too. Be curious to know how many times his wife has been married.

Edited to add: Wells and his wife Debbie were married in Nevada in 1987.

Steve

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read that and thought it stunk to high heaven. To me, the age disparities are odd, too. Be curious to know how many times his wife has been married.

Steve

And how long?

Wasn't Brian Wells the name of the neck bomb guy?

This is where my astronomy knowledge gets to kick in: I used the Naval Observatory to get a fix on a time for sunset in that area, and it came at around 5pm. As most know, sunset does not equate to night. That ambiguous time between the sun setting and darkness taking hold is called Civil Twilight. CT ended around 5:30 that day, signaling the moving in of notable darkness... meaning that by 6pm, those folks were dealing with enough darkness to warrant needing artificial light to get around. Falling off of the cliffs as it gets dark is plausible... doing it while taking a picture: well, who takes a nature style shot of cliffs, in darkness?!?!?!

Yep... something isn't smelling right on wifey's story... 90% of me is saying: he didn't go off that cliff by accident, if at all. 10% says: maybe he made himself a candidate for the Darwin Award for being stupid enough to get near the edge of a dangerous cliff in growing darkness to shoot a picture of cliffs, that would have been hard to see in the first place.

I'm going with the 90% feeling...

Oh, as well... more than likely, the only way they could have seen him some 60 ft down on the rocks and such, would have meant they needed a flashlight to see him, which can kind of prove the case that it would have been too dark in the first place for him to even be taking pictures of the cliffs below.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm pretty spot on.

Oh, as well... more than likely, the only way they could have seen him some 60 ft down on the rocks and such, would have meant they needed a flashlight to see him, which can kind of prove the case that it would have been too dark in the first place for him to even be taking pictures of the cliffs below.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm pretty spot on.

Good observation!

In that original article it says they suspended the search already!! They basically stopped looking before they started! What's going on??? Are they just going to let this guy be swept away by the ocean and just forget about him?? It can't be!!

In that original article it says they suspended the search already!! They basically stopped looking before they started! What's going on??? Are they just going to let this guy be swept away by the ocean and just forget about him?? It can't be!!

Maybe the authorities have reason to believe he's not down there.

Interesting case. My question is, what evidence is there that Brian was ever there to fall in to begin with? If he was, was he alive? He could have been tossed off. Reminds me of the case where a young man who fell to his death along the Oregon coast and his wife was later prosecuted for his death. I can't remember the names. I lived in Seaside and graduated from High School there. My parents ownded a motel.

People are always falling off the cliffs there. In the past year or so the creator/producer for "COPS" fell to his death there as well. However, the wife and husbands best friend angle makes me highly suspicious. There wouldn't be any witnesses around at 6pm. The time itself is very odd. IMO, only drunk teenagers up to no good brave the isolated, dark, very cold, windy and wet cliffs at night. I have a hard time buying that grown-ups were there sightseeing.

According to the below linked article. The search for Brian has ended. That was quick.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/13732187.html

I don't remember the names either, but watched that case on tv on a couple of different programs. The girl said that the victim fake pushed her and she pushed him back after initially lying and saying other things, such as being terrified of heights and that the cops forced her up that cliff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back