1130 users online (245 members and 885 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    256

    FL - Kathaleen Hine, 51, Palmetto, 15 Jan 1972

    Kathaleen Elizabeth Hine





    Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

    Missing Since: January 15, 1972 from Palmetto, Florida
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: August 29, 1920
    Age: 51 years old
    Height and Weight: 5'3, 120 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Kathaleen has very small feet; her shoes size is four or five. She has a deep scar on her left upper arm from a smallpox vaccination, and a vertical Cesarean section scar on her abdomen. She has had a dozen surgeries with resulting scarring. Some agencies state Kathaleen's name as "Kathaleen Elizabeth Folk-Hine." Her nickname is Kay. Kathaleen had a cast on her left forearm at the time of her disappearance. She has RH-negative blood. She has a hereditary hair deformity and has little to no hair as a result; she wears wigs to cover up the defect. Kathaleen wears a partial dental plate in her bottom teeth. She had a deep tan at the time of her 1972 disappearance. She wears prescription sunglasses.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: A dark-colored sweater, light blue Levi's jeans, a watch with a black band, and a plain gold wedding band on her left hand.
    Medical Conditions: Kathaleen has a lung disorder and arthritis in her back. She was taking medication at the time of her disappearance. She did not have the medicine with her when she vanished.





    Details of Disappearance
    Kathaleen's husband, Gilbert Charles Hine Sr., told police he last saw her at the Palmetto Agricultural Center at the Manatee County Fairgrounds in Palmetto, Florida. She was supposed to help out at the fair's poultry barn that day, but witnesses stated that they never saw Kathaleen at the fairgrounds. She has never been heard from again. Foul play is suspected in Kathaleen's disappearance. She left behind her eyeglasses, her medication, and her purse when she disappeared. After her disappearance, Gilbert deeded to himself some property that was held in both their names. The paperwork he submitted bore Kathaleen's signature, although she had been missing for years. In other papers filed later, Gilbert listed his wife as deceased.One of Kathaleen's daughters, Debra Dingeldine, says she got a phone call from her mother on the day she disappeared. Dingeldine says Kathaleen said she wanted to talk to her about something important, then she screamed, and after that the call was cut off. Dingeldine drove immediately to Kathaleen's house in the 3200 block of north Rye Road in Parrish, Florida and found signs of a struggle there, including overturned furniture. Kathaleen was missing and so was her .38 Special revolver, but its holster was found lying on her bedroom floor. Gilbert never reported Kathaleen missing. He told police that she had been having affairs with other men and probably ran away with one of them, but Kathaleen's children say this is untrue and have stated their beliefs that she was murdered and probably never went to the fairgrounds the day of her disappearance. Gilbert, who is now in his eighties, eventually hired an attorney and stopped cooperating with police. He has never been charged in connection with his wife's case, which is unsolved.



    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Manatee County Sheriff's Department
    941-747-3011

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...kathaleen.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    256
    Today, January 15, 2007, marks the thirty-fifth anniversary of Kathaleen's disappearance. Please call 941-747-3011 if you have any information regarding her disappearance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by lostwithoutyou View Post
    Today, January 15, 2007, marks the thirty-fifth anniversary of Kathaleen's disappearance.
    You posted this yesterday January 15, 2008. It's 36 years

    Well, the husband's behavior is suspicious to say the least but if LE found no evidence it's doubtful this will ever be solved.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    on this thread I submitted a possible match between Kathaleen and an unidentified body in Florida:

    http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...ight=kathaleen

    I have not heard back from anyone as of yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    You posted this yesterday January 15, 2008. It's 36 years

    Well, the husband's behavior is suspicious to say the least but if LE found no evidence it's doubtful this will ever be solved.
    Agree that the husband's behavior is strange in the sense that he did things at the time that I don't think most people in this situation would do. It would be interesting to see the extent of which he was questioned and the answers that he gave to LE.

    If they could find some evidence that somehow had Kathaleen's and his DNA on it, other than a place were they would not have been or shared, it might give important information to this case. My inquiry, while I guess, the 640000 question is. Where was the husband during the day and in the times following his wife's disappearance? What time of the day did the daughter receive the alleged phone call from what she claimed was her mother? Where did Kathaleen's husband claim to be during this phone call? What was the couple's marriage like? assets? health issues? insurance policies?

    I think her husband knows more than what is here. Not enough evidence to charge him in connection to his wife's disappearance. However, it sure sounds like foul play is involved.

    Satch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    983
    Bumping up for Kathaleen,

    Satch

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    983
    Bumping.

    Satch

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    40
    everything points to the husband including his actions afterward. That said with no body or hard evidence linking him to her disappearance and probable murder there is no case against him legally. Still this one is pretty obvious.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by The Whistler View Post
    everything points to the husband including his actions afterward. That said with no body or hard evidence linking him to her disappearance and probable murder there is no case against him legally. Still this one is pretty obvious.
    I am thinking that too, Whistler,

    He probably killed Kathleen, and hid the body. But there's no hard evidence to charge him with anything. Even the fact stated that he "stopped cooperating with investigators" is very strong evidence that he has something to hide.

    Satch

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    555
    here is more info on her which her daughter is also speaking. she believes its her husband also

    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/parr...SS99A4N7FREGQ5


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,314
    It's interesting that they never arrested him for her murder/disappearance.
    In my state, our first (and I think, our only) "no body" case was similar to this, but what prompted police to re-investigate the woman's murder was the disappearance of another woman with whom the murderer was associated a couple years later. At first, the police chalked up the "no body" victim as having run off. For years, the husband kept up the ruse, and claimed she called or he ran into her, when, in fact, she was dead. When the second woman went missing, the first victim's family pressured investigators into taking their claim that her husband had killed her seriously. What cinched it for the grand jury who passed down the indictment was the preponderance of circumstantial evidence, namely, that she was legally blind without her glasses and she'd left them behind. It seems to me very similar circumstances, except for the subsequent missing person. He did get convicted of fourth degree murder (now manslaughter) and served 6 out of a 10 year sentence. Decades later, in exchange for extradition from Texas, he confessed to three murders and led police to their bodies, one of them being the "no body" victim. Due to double jeopardy, they couldn't retry him for that, but at least her family had closure and could lay her to rest, and he is serving 2 life sentences for the other two murders.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    I am thinking that too, Whistler,

    He probably killed Kathleen, and hid the body. But there's no hard evidence to charge him with anything. Even the fact stated that he "stopped cooperating with investigators" is very strong evidence that he has something to hide.

    Satch
    Usually, I disagree with a lack of cooperation indicating guilt, we all have the right to protect ourselves from self-incrimination, but in this case, there is more evidence pointing in that maybe it is, even if it's circumstantial. If he forged his wife's name, he should have been arrested for fraud (if he were, it doesn't say) and if he claimed it was really her, then he'd should have had to "produce" her.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,039
    I read the conversations at the link, but did they ever find out if that was her skull or not?
    Your Dream must be greater than your fear!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    555
    Oh wow he confessed to 3 murders?? Were they his wives? In Florida or Texas this is so interesting I had not read that. But they still never found Kathaleen.? I also ready I believe he died.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alleykins View Post
    It's interesting that they never arrested him for her murder/disappearance.
    In my state, our first (and I think, our only) "no body" case was similar to this, but what prompted police to re-investigate the woman's murder was the disappearance of another woman with whom the murderer was associated a couple years later. At first, the police chalked up the "no body" victim as having run off. For years, the husband kept up the ruse, and claimed she called or he ran into her, when, in fact, she was dead. When the second woman went missing, the first victim's family pressured investigators into taking their claim that her husband had killed her seriously. What cinched it for the grand jury who passed down the indictment was the preponderance of circumstantial evidence, namely, that she was legally blind without her glasses and she'd left them behind. It seems to me very similar circumstances, except for the subsequent missing person. He did get convicted of fourth degree murder (now manslaughter) and served 6 out of a 10 year sentence. Decades later, in exchange for extradition from Texas, he confessed to three murders and led police to their bodies, one of them being the "no body" victim. Due to double jeopardy, they couldn't retry him for that, but at least her family had closure and could lay her to rest, and he is serving 2 life sentences for the other two murders.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Joshua Tree, California
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by madamx View Post
    Oh wow he confessed to 3 murders?? Were they his wives? In Florida or Texas this is so interesting I had not read that. But they still never found Kathaleen.? I also ready I believe he died.
    I believe Alleykins is referring to a different case for reference.
    Here to help. Here to love. Here to encourage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. FL FL - Isabel Mendez, 14, Palmetto, 16 Jan 2014
    By los2188 in forum 2010's Missing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 12:18 AM

Tags for this Thread