810 users online (121 members and 689 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Steadfast:

Thanks for that link! It was very interesting!! I don't believe it's the norm for Military investigations by any means, but like you said, how a miitary investigation can go wrong.

No different than any local LE investigatin either. IMO (meaning, they also can go wrong).

Marines

The Marine Corp. is front and center in this case. They are the ones who initially were responsible for the actions of Cesar Laurean, the investigation into the rape allegations, the ones responsible for protecting Maria, and are now protecting Christina Laurean.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

One of the many things that bother me about this case is the silence from the Marines. I understand there has to be an investigation and all but where is the outrage about what happened to Maria? Maria was a Marine, one of their own and she was brutally murdered and her body incinerated!!
    If it was a civilian being charged would we see the outrage then? Is it because the one charged is also a Marine it seems like many just want it to disappear?

VB

I would have to say there has been MORE than a significant lack of outrage shown by the Military at Camp Lejeune. We haven't seen them publically show ANY remorse or regret at their treatment of Maria Lauterbach during the course of her rape investigation and subsequent murder stemming from one of their own, imo.

Are there NO Marines who will speak out FOR Maria? Is this forbidden?
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

It very well could be forbidden. When all of this came to light 1st sgts. and Co's probably gathered their units up for a formation and told them they are forbidden to talk about it. Higher up's on the base could of sent out the memo to get the word out!! Not to mention they look extremely stupid right now so they are probably trying to lay low.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    I would have to say there has been MORE than a significant lack of outrage shown by the Military at Camp Lejeune. We haven't seen them publically show ANY remorse or regret at their treatment of Maria Lauterbach during the course of her rape investigation and subsequent murder stemming from one of their own, imo.

Are there NO Marines who will speak out FOR Maria? Is this forbidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    It very well could be forbidden. When all of this came to light 1st sgts. and Co's probably gathered their units up for a formation and told them they are forbidden to talk about it. Higher up's on the base could of sent out the memo to get the word out!! Not to mention they look extremely stupid right now so they are probably trying to lay low.

This sounds very plausible. More CYA.

The Marines charged Maria with Desertion when her mother and uncle showed up in NC to look for her. So far, I have not seen that the Marines have charged Cesar Laurean with either Unauthorized Absence or Desertion.

I think that Cesar and Christina Laurean are being protected by the USMC.

I have not seen one report from any Marine who knew CL in boot camp or in Jacksonville. I think that the people who could shed light on this case are being forced to remain silent, and that the Marine buddies who were at the BBQ will be prevented from speaking to LE.

Does any branch of Law Enforcement in The United States of America have the authority to go after the USMC????

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    The Marines charged Maria with Desertion when her mother and uncle showed up in NC to look for her. So far, I have not seen that the Marines have charged Cesar Laurean with either Unauthorized Absence or Desertion.

I think that Cesar and Christina Laurean are being protected by the USMC.

I have not seen one report from any Marine who knew CL in boot camp or in Jacksonville. I think that the people who could shed light on this case are being forced to remain silent, and that the Marine buddies who were at the BBQ will be prevented from speaking to LE.

Does any branch of Law Enforcement in The United States of America have the authority to go after the USMC????
    The Marine Corps has no ability to prevent a Marine from speaking with civilian LE about a crime committed off the base. Also, they do not have the discretion to NOT list a Marine as being UA if he is absent without authorization. He has either reported for duty or he is UA; there isn't a gray area.

The Marines also do not have the ability to prevent a civilian spouse or friend of a Marine from speaking to the press about the BBQ. And if you think military wives would allow themselves to be dictated to by the base CO, you don't know military wives! Most likely, anyone who has knowledge of the Laureans' activities post-murder have been asked by civilian LE to not talk about their future testimony to the press.

I can't see any evidence that the Laureans are being protected by the Marines. Cesar is in Mexico, out of the Marines' jurisdiction. And Christina is being held in restriction of some kind on base while the Marines see if she is going to be charged by civilian LE. If not, I believe she will be charged by the military, which is why they are holding on to her.

What possible motive could the Marines have to protect these people? They are involved in the murder of a Marine.

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    Steadfast, the only motive I can think of is that they botched it big time. My hubby was raised in a military family and his father was at one time a base commander.
    Hubby thinks that they goofed up by not notifying the city police department of the restraining order when she and Laurean moved off base. According to hubby they were required to do so and did not.
    IMHO I think there is a big degree of ignoring women's complaints in all branches of the military. I personally know a woman who is a pychologist for the VA. She said that she is having a hard time herself dealing with all the women she now counsels who have been raped by our own military. She claims it's something the government tries to cover up. She says that some of these women will never be "normal" again. It's supposedly one of the best kept secrets in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by curiositycat View Post
    Steadfast, the only motive I can think of is that they botched it big time. My hubby was raised in a military family and his father was at one time a base commander.
    Hubby thinks that they goofed up by not notifying the city police department of the restraining order when she and Laurean moved off base. According to hubby they were required to do so and did not.
    IMHO I think there is a big degree of ignoring women's complaints in all branches of the military. I personally know a woman who is a pychologist for the VA. She said that she is having a hard time herself dealing with all the women she now counsels who have been raped by our own military. She claims it's something the government tries to cover up. She says that some of these women will never be "normal" again. It's supposedly one of the best kept secrets in the military.
    I agree with you about the problems with the military in general and about the botching of the rape case. But those mistakes are already public knowledge.

The murder case is a different story. Protecting the Laureans in the murder case would not benefit the Marines in any way. Doing whatever they can to make sure either or both have to face justice would.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    I agree with you about the problems with the military in general and about the botching of the rape case. But those mistakes are already public knowledge.

The murder case is a different story. Protecting the Laureans in the murder case would not benefit the Marines in any way. Doing whatever they can to make sure either or both have to face justice would.
    The military did not make a 'mistake' in the prosecution of the rape case. Standard Operating Procedure was followed. In every instance that a woman has reported harrassment BY the military TO the military, a deliberate and criminal attempt has been made to humiliate, degrade, punish, and silence the victim, while at the same time cheering and back-slapping the aggressor.

I am amazed that a long time poster on a victims advocacy website would so steadfastly defend the military instead of the victim. 'Public Knowledge' is not a sufficient penalty. Criminal prosecution is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    The military did not make a 'mistake' in the prosecution of the rape case. Standard Operating Procedure was followed. In every instance that a woman has reported harrassment BY the military TO the military, a deliberate and criminal attempt has been made to humiliate, degrade, punish, and silence the victim, while at the same time cheering and back-slapping the aggressor.
    If Cesar Laurean, who was headed to an Article 32 hearing, had thought he was going to get away with raping Maria, why would he kill her and try to burn away the DNA evidence? Why would he tell his friends he would run to Mexico, if he had reason to believe Marines are never found guilty of rape? Why would he have a civilian attorney preparing for his hearing, if he believed the military system would protect him? Why would Maria be harassed and intimidated by Laurean, his wife, and his friends to withdraw her accusation, if they did not believe the Marines would follow up on the case anyway?

The mistake I was referring to was not sending either Cesar or Maria to a temporary assignment elsewhere to protect her from harassment and intimidation by Cesar, his wife, and his friends. That would have been standard operating procedure, and there is no excuse that it wasn't followed, and I think it would have saved Maria's life.

I am not a "military" person, so I could be off base here (excuse the pun).

IMO: Both Maria and CL lived OFF BASE, if the Protective Order was only for on base premises, that means CL and company could continue to harass Maria off base with no repercussions, UNLESS, Maria had also filed her complaint with the local LE.

While on base, the PO was only (IIRC) for CL to stay away from Maria by 100 yards. To me, that is nothing!! I agree with Steadfast that either of them should have been reassigned to another base until the paternity of the father was established. (If that is what you were implying Steadfast?)

Did anyone catch the CSI episode yesterday (around 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time) that dealth with an Army Officer and the local LE wanting to inverview him? It was very interesting as if closely paralled this case in the Marines vs. Local LE jurisdictions over a military officer.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    If Cesar Laurean, who was headed to an Article 32 hearing, had thought he was going to get away with raping Maria, why would he kill her and try to burn away the DNA evidence? Why would he tell his friends he would run to Mexico, if he had reason to believe Marines are never found guilty of rape? Why would he have a civilian attorney preparing for his hearing, if he believed the military system would protect him? Why would Maria be harassed and intimidated by Laurean, his wife, and his friends to withdraw her accusation, if they did not believe the Marines would follow up on the case anyway?

The mistake I was referring to was not sending either Cesar or Maria to a temporary assignment elsewhere to protect her from harassment and intimidation by Cesar, his wife, and his friends. That would have been standard operating procedure, and there is no excuse that it wasn't followed, and I think it would have saved Maria's life.
    I totally agree with this post.

I don't understand why either CL or Maria was not sent to a post elsewhere until after the hearing.

But, other than that...what SHOULD the Marines have done? (And don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY, 100% think THAT should have happened.)

Before the hearing, it truly was a he said/she said. Should CL have been locked up? What evidence existed for charges to be filed? There were no witnesses. Since the report was made weeks after the fact there was no physical evidence. CL didn't confess. He didn't admit to having sex with Maria. Where was the proof, other than Maria's word, that he did?

As Steadfast said, CL didn't think the marines would stand behind him once there WAS evidence physical contact had occured.

My opinion.

Can he be extradited as AWOL without the murder charge being a consideration?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast