1373 users online (246 members and 1127 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 147
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,826
    I might be mistaken, but at this point of time, CL has only been declared UA by the Marines.

    FRMUSMC answered this question or one very similiar to it in one of these threads. I've been trying to find it, but no such luck so far.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    I might be mistaken, but at this point of time, CL has only been declared UA by the Marines.

    FRMUSMC answered this question or one very similiar to it in one of these threads. I've been trying to find it, but no such luck so far.
    Not sure we would hear about a change of status. Here's a clip of part of the the procedure to deal with UA/deserter status and a link to the whole paperwork process. As you can see, there's a lot of filling out and mailing of forms.
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

    Command Responsibilities
    §When member goes UA
    • Submit the Daily Absentee Report no later than 0900 to PSD with the name, pay grade and Social Security Number (SSN) of the unauthorized absentee. Include date, hour UA commenced and whether person was absent over leave, liberty or UA.
    ·Send letter to next-of-kin on 10th day of UA. Ensure copy of letter is sent to local reserve Chaplain and PSD in accordance with MILPERSMAN 1600-040.
    • Submit Report of Declaration of Desertion message to Navy Absentee Collection and Information Center (NACIC) Great Lakes on the 31st day of UA per MILPERSMAN. If the 31st day falls on a weekend/holiday, submit the report on the first working day following the 30th day of UA. Forward a copy to PSD for filing in the member’s service record.
    • Prepare the Deserter/Absentee Wanted by the Armed Forces (DD Form 553) and mail it to NACIC Great Lakes. Additionally, forward a copy of Incident/Complaint Report (OPNAV 5527/1), copy of member’s Page 2 (Record of Emergency Data), enlistment contract, photograph of member (if available), and copy of latest leave papers. Provide PSD a copy of DD 553 for filing.
    • Prepare the Inventory of Personal Effects (Lost – Abandoned – Unclaimed) (NAVSUP Form 29) per NAVSUP P-485 Volume 1 (Afloat Supply) and send personal effects to: Cheatham Annex, Naval Supply Center, Norfolk, VA. Forward a copy to PSD with member’s medical and dental records.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,826
    STEADFAST:

    Correct me if I am wrong, but there is DEFINATELY a difference between the Marines classifying you as UA or as AWOL. Right?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    STEADFAST:

    Correct me if I am wrong, but there is DEFINATELY a difference between the Marines classifying you as UA or as AWOL. Right?
    No. Well, yes. There is no such thing as AWOL in the Navy or Marines. It's UA and then deserter.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,826
    AAAAAAAAAAAh, that definately clarifies that issue for me! Thanks! So we know he is listed as UA as of 1/11, so next comes deserter, after I am assuming of so many days off base...........

    Is that when the paperwork comes in that you had posted earlier?

    btw, did you get my email?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAh, that definately clarifies that issue for me! Thanks! So we know he is listed as UA as of 1/11, so next comes deserter, after I am assuming of so many days off base...........

    Is that when the paperwork comes in that you had posted earlier?

    btw, did you get my email?
    There's a bunch of paperwork for UA, and then a bunch more for deserter.
    The first part of the paperwork has been completed for sure. Plus, the 10-day letter must have gone out.

    Even with just a UA, he would be facing a court martial, jail time, and a dishonorable discharge. Of course, that could only be accomplished AFTER he serves life imprisonment for murder.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,826
    Steadfast:

    That "10 day letter" then must be what I had written in the timeline was about. I messed it up with the contact of Maria's mother. Will need to correct that.

    What would he be labeled as while he is in prison? He would no longer be UA or a deserter IMO, unless the deserter still stands because he is not officially on base?? Refresh my memory, who GETS to prosecute him first???

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    Steadfast:

    That "10 day letter" then must be what I had written in the timeline was about. I messed it up with the contact of Maria's mother. Will need to correct that.

    What would he be labeled as while he is in prison? He would no longer be UA or a deserter IMO, unless the deserter still stands because he is not officially on base?? Refresh my memory, who GETS to prosecute him first???
    He'd be labled "*******," and he would be in the military while he was in prison. When he got out, he would be dishonorably discharged.

    I think who prosecutes him first is something they work out between military and civilian authorities. In this case, I believe the military has said they will wait their turn until after the civilians are through with him. However, he would not be allowed to be free on bail or anything. It would be either civilian jail or military pre-trial detention while he awaits trial.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42

    Former Marine here as well

    This is my first post here.This case is what originally led me to this site.Fantastic site by the way.I'm a former Marine who was stationed at Lejeune my last two years in the Corps.I'm sickened about what happened to Maria and her baby.I also believe that the Marine Corps dropped the ball during the investigation.I served and was honorably discharged.Please don't lump all of us male and female who have served into the same catagory as CL and his wife.He is neither a marine or a man.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    STEADFAST:

    Correct me if I am wrong, but there is DEFINATELY a difference between the Marines classifying you as UA or as AWOL. Right?
    AWOL and UA are the same thing.Just two differant terms.The military loves acronyms.UA=USMC=unauthorized abscence,AWOL=USA=absent without leave.UA is for someone not reporting to thier duty station without that absence being authorized.It can run up to 30 days.After 30 you go into deserter status.
    I noticed that there were some questions about the way USMC operates and I can hopefully clear some thing up for you guys on that.Feel free to ask and if I know the answer,I'll let ya know


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolynna View Post
    I totally agree with this post.

    I don't understand why either CL or Maria was not sent to a post elsewhere until after the hearing.

    But, other than that...what SHOULD the Marines have done? (And don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY, 100% think THAT should have happened.)

    Before the hearing, it truly was a he said/she said. Should CL have been locked up? What evidence existed for charges to be filed? There were no witnesses. Since the report was made weeks after the fact there was no physical evidence. CL didn't confess. He didn't admit to having sex with Maria. Where was the proof, other than Maria's word, that he did?

    As Steadfast said, CL didn't think the marines would stand behind him once there WAS evidence physical contact had occured.

    My opinion.
    I asked the same question myself on why they where not sent to other bases.New River,Cherry Point(not sure if it's still open) and Quantico are all right there.Maria was only assigned to a building on the other side of the base.That is a start but....being as how they were in the same unit,they would have had to have been in the same formations at least 3 times daily.His friends would have been in the same barracks.They also would have been using the same chowhall.
    I couldn't understand the logic behind it.Then I saw an interview with a recently retired JAG.The same question was brought up.She explained that if you transfer Maria off base,essentailly you've punished her for being a victim.If you transfer him,you've punished him before he's been proven giulty.Go figure.Personally,I'd have had him locked in the brig until trial,especially once the regimental commander deemed there was enough evidence to go to an Article 32 hearing for a rape accusation.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    681
    Hi davenj, I do have a question. According to the Marines, Maria was listed as a deserter on Dec 17, the very day that she was first reported missing. The Marines did not even bother to call her mother until Dec 18. So it seems they disregarded any 30-day or 45-day wait period in the case of Maria.

    My question is, was Laurean charged with desertion on Jan 11? Has he ever been charged with desertion, or are the Marines allowing him the full benefit of a 30-45 day wait time? TIA

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,826
    Welcome to WS devenj!

    If I am not mistaken, according to you then CL would be declared as a desterter on 2/11/08, that would be the 30 day mark from when he was declared as UA which happenend on 1/11/08? Is that correct?

    Let me say, that even though CL was a "Marine", I do NOT think all Marines, or any other military branch are like him.

    THANK YOU for serving our Country and preserving our lives, rights, freedom, etc.

    Would it have been possible for the CO's to have offered to either Maria or Cesar to be reassigned to another base but they both declined?? And that is why they were reassigned within the base compound??

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    Hi davenj, I do have a question. According to the Marines, Maria was listed as a deserter on Dec 17, the very day that she was first reported missing. The Marines did not even bother to call her mother until Dec 18. So it seems they disregarded any 30-day or 45-day wait period in the case of Maria.

    My question is, was Laurean charged with desertion on Jan 11? Has he ever been charged with desertion, or are the Marines allowing him the full benefit of a 30-45 day wait time? TIA
    Maria was listed as a deserter right away due to the fact that she was so far along into the pregnancy.It was a command decision.They were concerned that an 8.5 months pregnant Marine didn't report for work.Also,the roommate had turned in the note and she didn't answer her cell phone.If you're just UA they won't send out "chasers" looking for you since there is usually a reason.My buddy and I were listed as UA when we got hung up in traffic coming into base one day.This was before everyone had cell phones.We couldn't call,missed formation and got listed.Once we checked in the UA was dropped after they verified our reason

    CL was never listed UA as far as I know.He continued to report for work on time and preform his duties until the day he fled.Due to the circumstances around him fleeing on 01/11/08 the command went right to deserter status since he had been saying he'd head to Mexico.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledeer View Post
    Welcome to WS devenj!

    If I am not mistaken, according to you then CL would be declared as a desterter on 2/11/08, that would be the 30 day mark from when he was declared as UA which happenend on 1/11/08? Is that correct?

    Let me say, that even though CL was a "Marine", I do NOT think all Marines, or any other military branch are like him.

    THANK YOU for serving our Country and preserving our lives, rights, freedom, etc.

    Would it have been possible for the CO's to have offered to either Maria or Cesar to be reassigned to another base but they both declined?? And that is why they were reassigned within the base compound??
    I wondered myself why she wasn't assigned to New River MCAS,or Quantico after the rape charge.Both bases are close,especially New River.She was assigned to a building on the opposite side of Lejeune.She still would have been in the same formations as CL at least 3 times a day.His friends would have been in the same barracks as well as the chow hall.

    I saw a show with a recently retired JAG and she cleared it up.If you transfer her,you in essence have punished her for being a victim.If you transfer him,you're punishing him before a guilty conviction.I would have had him in the brig awaiting trial especially when the regimental commander had decided to go ahead with the Article 32 hearing.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #4
    By Coldpizza in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 304
    Last Post: 12-30-2015, 02:59 PM
  2. Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #3
    By Steely Dan in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 1011
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 08:44 PM
  3. JLM: 2002 Rape Allegations at Liberty University
    By bessie in forum Hannah Graham
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM
  4. Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1
    By Steely Dan in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 1403
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
  5. Replies: 273
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Tags for this Thread