1003 users online (198 members and 805 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Man Claims Hospital Forced Rectal Exam Upon Him

NEW YORK A construction worker claimed in a lawsuit that when he went to a hospital after being hit on the forehead by a falling wooden beam, emergency room staffers forcibly gave him a rectal examination.
    Brian Persaud, 38, says in court papers that after he denied a request by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital emergency room employees to examine his rectum, he was "assaulted, battered and falsely imprisoned."
    His lawyer, Gerrard M. Marrone, said he and Persaud later learned the exam was one way of determining whether he had suffered spinal damage in the accident.
    Marrone said his client got eight stitches for a cut over his eyebrow.
    Then, Marrone said, emergency room staffers insisted on examining his rectum and held him down while he begged, "Please don't do that." He said Persaud hit a doctor while flailing around and staffers gave him an injection, which knocked him out, and performed the rectal exam.
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323186,00.html

Unless he got hit in the head really hard, I don't see why they needed to look up his rear...

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    Unless he got hit in the head really hard, I don't see why they needed to look up his rear...
    Yeah couldn't they have checked his spine with an x-ray or something instead?

This is such an WEIRD story!

I've never heard of it being possible to check your spine by doing a rectal exam. And yeah...why couldn't they just do an xray or something? And why was it THAT important that they go to the lengths they did? Very odd.

And the fact that he was detained for three days for freaking out while they forcibly did the exam is just too much.

Don't you have the right to refuse medical treatment? I mean ..he obviously went to the hospital seeking treatment, but at what point do you lose any ability to make your own decisions about that treatment? I am particularly disgusted that they would give him an injection to knock him out so they could continue.

Jen, don't feel bad. I giggled too.

Very odd is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_in_Indy View Post
    This is such an WEIRD story!

I've never heard of it being possible to check your spine by doing a rectal exam. And yeah...why couldn't they just do an xray or something? And why was it THAT important that they go to the lengths they did? Very odd.

And the fact that he was detained for three days for freaking out while they forcibly did the exam is just too much.
    I don't think that the need to check up his rectum was as important as they made it out to be. If they really suspected a spinal injury, an x-ray should have been done anyway. But I do know that the only true way to palpate (feel) the coccyx (end of the spine) is through the rectum. But if he refused, an x-ray would have been much simpler.

LOL Thanks Jules!

I edited it out because I didn't want someone thinking that I was a terrible person!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho4Groenes View Post
    I don't think that the need to check up his rectum was as important as they made it out to be. If they really suspected a spinal injury, an x-ray should have been done anyway. But I do know that the only true way to palpate (feel) the coccyx (end of the spine) is through the rectum. But if he refused, an x-ray would have been much simpler.
    Simpler yes, but also more expensive. Hospitals will probably do anything they can to save money in order to increase profit margins.

When I read this article, I thought it might be one of two things:

1. There is more to the story than we know, and they were doing this against his will for reason.

2. It was a case of mistaken identity; the medical people thought he was someone else, someone who needed that exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    When I read this article, I thought it might be one of two things:

1. There is more to the story than we know, and they were doing this against his will for reason.

2. It was a case of mistaken identity; the medical people thought he was someone else, someone who needed that exam.
    Perhaps they misinterpreted "head injury" with "head up his ass".

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_in_Indy View Post
    LOL Thanks Jules!

I edited it out because I didn't want someone thinking that I was a terrible person!

work comp - a lot of times they won't even let you have family with you. who knows what happened! but i would be ticked if they forced a rectal exam on me!!

Well since a great majority of men keep their heads up their butt most of the time . . . .

JOKING!!!!

Yes, he had every right to refuse the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Perhaps they misinterpreted "head injury" with "head up his ass".

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast