650 users online (80 members and 570 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cloned Animals Are Safe to Eat, FDA Says

"Meat and milk from cattle, swine and goat clones are as safe as food we eat every day," said Dr. Stephen Sundloff, FDA's food safety chief.

But the government has asked animal cloning companies to continue a voluntary moratorium on sales for a little longer - not for safety reasons, but marketing ones.

USDA Undersecretary Bruce Knight called it a transition period for "allowing the marketplace to adjust." He wouldn't say how long the moratorium should continue.
    http://body.aol.com/news/health/arti...16102309990001

Is there a reason that this would even be necessary?

A cloned animal has no soul. Therefore eating one is a sin.

Ok, I just had to say that to sound ridiculous! I really don't see a problem in eating cloned meat, drinking cloned milk, whatever. The animals will still be raised the same way. Now if there was a strange genetic mutation that occured from cloning that could be passed on to humans, that would be different. Though i'd like to get super human strength from eating cloned meat, I don't want to get some cheesy powers like glowing in the dark...

It won't bother me to eat cloned meat or drink cloned milk....or wear cloned wool...or the like.

What it means to me is that they can now take the finest cattle, clone them, and then raise the bar on our beef's quality. The larger and better fed the cattle...the less cattle are needed on the earth to be adding to the problem of Global Warming with the methane gasses.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

If people get hungry enough they will eat anything. Our kids are being exposed to lead toys, and I so know I ate some poison toothapste along the way. Why not have a cloned steak? Will they feed the cloned livestock hormones?

I file this under the "fear of the unknown" category.

People are afraid of what they don't understand. I have to admit I'm a little concerned. What if eating a cloned animal turns us into zombies? I don't want to be a zombie!

I didn't read the story yet. I remember there was some controversy about whether they would be labeled as such. I think they are allowed not to be labeled.

I feel everyone should be aware. including in the genetically engineered food, so they can make a personal choice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    http://body.aol.com/news/health/arti...16102309990001

Is there a reason that this would even be necessary?
    I'm guessing that until years of actually eating them and solid research the declaration they are the same is simply an optimistic opinion.

What is wierd to me is that they will actually use the clones offspring for meat. If not the clone - why the offspring? And they can't say yet the the second generation cloned meat is the same until tests are done.

When they clone the next batch, can they make it so that chocolate milk comes out instead? Or pralines and cream ice cream?

Seriously, I don't understand why there are so many cloned animals out there to be sold (for whatever product). Are we really cloning that many?! That's kind of scary to me. Why not do it the old fashioned way?

I do think any cloned meat or product should be labeled to indicate that. I don't so much about outerwear as I would about something I'm ingesting.

I also don't understand how the meat would be cheaper since I would think cloning is not cheap. Unless they have it down to a science. lol

I am more concerned about ingesting genetically modified food.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I am more concerned about ingesting genetically modified food.
    I have a feeling we already do and probably don't realize it.

Why not do it the old fashioned way?
    I also don't understand how the meat would be cheaper since I would think cloning is not cheap.
    These are my questions as well.

Here's a small article on the benefitis and fears of cloning food: http://www.epigee.org/diet/cloned_food.html

I do think any cloned meat or product should be labeled to indicate that. I don't so much about outerwear as I would about something I'm ingesting.

I also don't understand how the meat would be cheaper since I would think cloning is not cheap. Unless they have it down to a science. lol

I am more concerned about ingesting genetically modified food .
    Me too, mostly about labeling.

DEER MEAT
    A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner.

Both he and his wife decide that they wonít tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess.

The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue.

Well, he said, ĎItís what mommy calls me sometimesí.
    The little girl screams to her brother:

ĎDonít eat it, itís an a##hole..

Quote Originally Posted by Rino View Post

DEER MEAT
    A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner.

Both he and his wife decide that they wonít tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess.

The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue.

Well, he said, ĎItís what mommy calls me sometimesí.
    The little girl screams to her brother:

ĎDonít eat it, itís an a##hole..

just as an aside, why would we take anything the FDA says about this subject to be gospel? Antibiotics in livestock were safe too, remember? Small doses of thimerisol in inoculations nothing to worry about, right? Irradiated food, no problem! And the long term studies on the consumption of cloned animals resides where may I ask.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast