Printer cartridge refill

lorann

Reaction score
I have an old HP deskjet printer, I really don't print much and hate to buy a new one. I recently ran out of ink, took both color and black cartridges to Walgreen's to have refilled. (btw, they are running an unadvertised special - $5 for each). My printer thinks it is still out of ink. After doing the Google thing, I read something about resetting the ink level - cover certain numbers with tape etc. It didn't make much sense to me - is there a simple way to do this?

What HP deskjet model do you have? If you can provide the link that you found that may help solve this issue that might help :). Printers can be annoying at times lol.

HP Desk Jet 842C, this printer is very old. I don't print often but was always able to find cartridges at Walmart or Sam's. I can still buy them at Office Max or Staples but thought I'd do the refill thing. Found a sale $5 each but since they won't work, wasted the $10 LOL. I can't find the article I read about putting tape - I read so many sites since then. Since I don't use much ink and never tried the refills, I wasn't aware HP had fixed these printers to not accept refills - I don't understand since it is a HP cartridge that was refilled. Now, if I go ahead and pay full price for new ones, I wonder if they will work? Guess I will have to check with Office Max or Staples. Everyone just tells me to buy a new printer but that's silly to me.

Thanks for answering - yes, annoying.

That little chip on the bottom of the cartridge is what communicates between the cartridge and the printer and tells it how empty or full it is. This is probably what is telling the printer that the cartridge is empty. If you refill the cartridge, it doesn't reset this chip.

HP is notorious for making their items use their parts only. I had an HP PC at one time and the power source went out. I could not just by a generic, cheaper brand, but had to go with an HP part only. RCA is the exact same way with their products.

When you purchase a refill kit, it should tell you what brand/models this will work with. If you go thru a store, they should provide you with the same info. If I were you, I'd try to take the refilled cartridges back, explain they won't work with your printer and get your money back.

I just wanted to add that we ruined our old HP printer by using the refills. The stuff leaked out all over the inside.:furious:

Well, I learned my lesson with HP and refills! This is an old cheap printer, but I don't require many tricks from it. I ordered new cartridges and hope they work. I don't believe in buying something with more bells and whistles than needed but if trying the refills screwed this up, I may be printer-less. LOL
Some days ya just do the wrong thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back