World chess champion Bobby Fischer dies

Dark Knight

Reaction score
REYKJAVIK, Iceland - Bobby Fischer, the reclusive American chess master who became a Cold War icon when he dethroned the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky as world champion in 1972, has died. He was 64.

He dropped out of competitive chess and largely out of view, emerging occasionally to make erratic and often anti-Semitic comments.

Fischer, whose mother was Jewish, once accused "the Jew-controlled U.S. government" of ruining his life.

He fell into obscurity before resurfacing to win a 1992 exhibition rematch against Spassky on the Yugoslav resort island of Sveti Stefan in violation of sanctions imposed to punish then-President Slobodan Milosevic.

A fierce critic of his homeland, Fischer became wanted in the United States for violating the sanctions.

He renounced his American citizenship and moved to Iceland in 2005.
Fischer told reporters that year that he was finished with a chess world he regarded as corrupt, and sparred with U.S. journalists who asked about his anti-American tirades.

"The United States is evil. There's this axis of evil. What about the allies of evil — the United States, England, Japan, Australia? These are the evildoers," Fischer said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080118/ap_on_re_eu/obit_fischer;_ylt=AtckO5DuYxHITbJB0bqMMfWs0NUE\

DK I thought he was still like a little kid.
I never saw the movie, just the previews. LOL
And I never really knew who he was so I thought you were going to post that he was like a 20 - something with a drug habit. LOL

I'm actually pretty sorry to hear this.

I read a pretty interesting book a few years back, called Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How a Lone American Star Defeated the Soviet Chess Machine. It wasn't normally a book I'd pick up, but my oldest daughter was learning chess, and I spent a lot of time with her chess coach, another homeschooling mom. The chess coach would tell me these fascinating stories about how these world class chess players could be chess geniuses on the one hand, and very lost and mentally unhealthy on the other. Bobby Fischer's personal life was a real mess.

I hope he found some peace before he passed.

"So you want a victory, well that makes you a wisher...
One thing there is fo sho, you ain't no Bobby Fischer!
Bobby Fischer, where is he? I dunno, I dunno!
Go ask your mama & make sure you listen.
One thing fo sho, Bobby Fischer is missin'
He's gone!!"
- SNL Spartan Cheerleaders

"So you want a victory, well that makes you a wisher...
One thing there is fo sho, you ain't no Bobby Fischer!
Go ask your mama & make sure you listen.
One thing fo sho, Bobby Fischer is missin'
He's gone!!"
- SNL Spartan Cheerleaders

I did not see this one, very clever!

I saw something about him on GSN's show "Anything To Win." On there is was saying he cheered on 9-11 and he was anti-American in his later years.
Anyone who can "cheer" at all those deaths gets no sympathy from me.

ETA: here's something about this from WIKI:
Radio interview after the September 11, 2001, attacks

Hours after the September 11, 2001, attacks Fischer was interviewed live[59] by Pablo Mercado on the Baguio City station of the Bombo Radyo network, shortly after midnight September 12, 2001 Philippines local time (or shortly after noon on September 11, 2001, New York time). Fischer commented on U.S and Israeli foreign policy that "nobody cares ... [that] the US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians for years".[60] [61] Informed that "the White House and Pentagon have been attacked", he proclaimed "This is all wonderful news."[60][61] Fischer stated "What goes around comes around even for the United States"[60][61] and said that if the U.S. fails to change its foreign policy, it "has to be destroyed." After calling for President Bush's death, Fischer also stated he hoped for a coup d' etat in the U.S., and that the military government would then execute "hundreds of thousands of American Jewish leaders", "arrest all the Jews", and "close all synagogues".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer

There's no doubt that he was a complete mess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back