1123 users online (236 members and 887 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Joanne Benner, 21, Bayou George, 1 May 1976

As an example McKeithen points to his oldest cold case, Joanne Benner. Benner was a 21 year old mother of two who, according to her husband Gary, vanished in the middle of the night without a trace from her Bayou George home.

"We're pretty much convinced that her husband was responsible for her disappearance," the Sheriff said.

Gary Benner was said to have behaved suspiciously right after Joanne's disappearance including removing sections of their carpet and asking friends to mail toys and letters back to his children pretending to be Joanne.

McKeithen says Benner's case is a perfect example of the problems law enforcement runs into when dealing with missing and murdered women.

"Unfortunately it's a case where there are absolutely no witnesses but we have submitted evidence as recently as last year trying to get some DNA matches for this case," said McKeithen.

Investigators are hoping with technological advances happening everyday that there will no longer be a "perfect crime." They're also hoping to use new DNA databases and updated fingerprint records like AFIS to put to rest their many "Cold Cases."

http://www.wmbb.com/gulfcoastwest/mb...old_cases.html

Joanne Benner, 21, Missing since May 1976 from Bayou George, Bay County, Florida

Joanne Benner

Missing since May 1976 from Bayou George, Bay County, Florida
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old

Circumstances of Disappearance

Benner was a 21 year old mother of two who.

According to her husband, who is suspect, she vanished in the middle of the night without a trace from her Bayou George home.

Her body was never found. Circumstances lead detectives to believe she was the victim of foul play.

An Aunt said the daughter, then a toddler, told her that something was wrong with mommy, she was bleeding from the stomach, and it was running all down her leg.

Investigators searched Benner’s house not long after his wife went missing, they found some of the carpet had been removed.

Later the carpet was found set on fire in a trach can.

Shortly after Joanne Benner went missing, her husband disappeared in his truck. When he returned, there was fresh mud on his clothes and on the vehicle.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Bay County Sheriff's Office
    850-747-4700

Source Information
    :

WMBB News
    News Herald 4/27/08
    Doenetwork Case 2473DLFFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2473dffl.html

Cases like this just chap my hide. Anybody know what kind of forensic evidence was/is available? Is the husband still alive?

Looks like Gary's been a busy man over the years

Marriages
    GARY SYDNEY BENNER / LYDONNA SUE KEITH
    GARY SYDNEY BENNER / BEVERLY ILENE HALL
    GARY SYDNEY BENNER / JO ANN PITTS

Divorces

GARY SYDNEY BENNER / JOANN PITTS
    GARY S BENNER / BEVERLY I

I wonder why he didnt just have Joann declared dead instead of divorcing her.
    Also, I wonder if the other 2 wives also did a disapearing act in the middle of the night. Reminds me of Drew Peterson.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...er_joanne.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    I wonder why he didnt just have Joann declared dead instead of divorcing her.
    Also, I wonder if the other 2 wives also did a disapearing act in the middle of the night. Reminds me of Drew Peterson.
    Divorce is usually much quicker than having a person declared dead. Death declarations typically take seven years, unless there's a lot of evidence the person is dead (like WTC deaths).

A search of the FDLE missing persons database didn't turn up either of his other wives' names.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/missi...ons-cases.html

August 08, 2010 12:01:00 AM

• Jo Ann Benner was 21 years old when she went missing May 1, 1976, from her home on Titus Road in Bayou George. Her body hasn’t been found, but investigators said they are convinced she was killed, and they know who killed her, but have never been able to prove it. Benner’s then 3-year-old daughter is reported to have told her grandmother on the day of Benner’s disappearance that “Mommy had to go away because she was bleeding from the stomach.”

The Benner case has been active since 1976, and just last year great strides were made that investigators believed were going to be lead to an arrest, but at the last minute they fell through.

“We were probably as close as we’ll ever be about a year ago,” Stanford said.

Hello- I'm the 3 year old who said I saw mmmy bleeding from the stomach. She is my mom and I desperately want to know what happened to her. I have no memories of her what occured that night. The only things I remember is what I have been told over the years. If anyone knows, please send a message.

FL - Joanne Benner, 21, Bayou George, 1 May 1976

Cold cases: Former police chief says ‘No one gets forgotten’
    By ZACK McDONALD | News Herald Writer | Twitter: @pcnhzack
    Published: Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 06:25 PM.

PANAMA CITY — When investigators searched Joanne Benner’s home not long after the 21-year-old wife went missing, they found a patch of carpet removed from her Titus Road home in Bayou George.

To date, her body has not been found after the suspicious disappearance in 1976; however, investigators still are convinced Benner was killed.

And they claim to know who killed her, but have never been able to prove it.

--- UNSOLVED BAY COUNTY MURDERS

Along with specks of what investigators suspect is blood throughout the home, Benner’s then-3-year-old daughter is reported to have told a relative that on the day of Benner’s disappearance, “Mommy had to go away because she was bleeding from the stomach,” according to Bay County Sheriff’s Office records.

Investigators also later found the patch of carpet in a trash can. It had been set on fire, BCSO reported.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Any new news??

Bump for joann