1193 users online (201 members and 992 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MI - Rylan Cotter, 20, Okemos, 7 January 2008

Another heart breaking story of a missing college student.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../80112045/1008

The body of Rylan Marie Cotter, 20, was found Wednesday in Chesterton, Ind., about 15 miles east of Gary. An autopsy found that Cotter died of blunt force trauma to the chest and abdomen. Police in Chesterton were not available for comment on Sunday.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0/0/FEATURES05

CHESTERTON, Ind. -- Police are trying to figure out why a 20-year-old Michigan State student traveled to northern Indiana shortly before her body was found last week on a golf course.

On Jan. 9, Employees of the Brassie Golf Club in Chesterton, about 15 miles east of Gary, found Rylan Cotter's fully clothed body next to a paved path on the course. Porter County Coroner Victoria Deppe has ruled that Cotter died from massive blunt trauma to the chest and abdomen.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15054199/detail.html

Students brave cold to remember friend
    By Kelly House
    The State News
    Published: January 16, 2008
    Fun loving. Brilliant. Eccentric. Funny. A sister and mother-figure to friends.

That is how Rylan Cotterís friends hoped to remember her as they gathered Tuesday night at the rock on Farm Lane to celebrate their friendís life.

The 20-year-old international relations juniorís body was discovered Jan. 9 at Brassie Golf Course in Chesterton, Ind.

Cotter died of blunt force trauma to the chest and abdomen, said Porter County Coroner Victoria Deppe. The cause of the trauma is still unknown, but police are treating Cotterís death as a homicide.

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a...emember_friend

That poor girl. It sounds like a big person sat or layed on her and she couldn't breathe...Lord only knows. I feel so sorry for her family. I hope LE can find out who did this. So many of our college students end up missing or dead.

She could have been hit with a vehicle or have fallen a great distance. There are many things to cause such injuries, but what will be important is what her autopsy reveals.

For a girl to get up at 2:00am...drive an hour and a half to a motel room...leave the next morning and go to the woods near a golf course is so abnormal! She was starting classes the next day. She had plans to have a movie night at her place the next night. So what did she feel was SO important that she felt compelled to do this?!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Police Probe Death Of Michigan Student In Indiana

~snip~

Police have tracked the mysterious trail of the Michigan State University student from her apartment in Okemos, a suburb of Lansing, to a hotel in Benton Harbor and then to Chesterton.

Porter County Coroner Victoria Deppe has said Cotter's injuries would have to be caused by great force, such as a long fall or jump or being hit by a car.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/michiga....2.633802.html

my first thought in situations like this, when a young person goes off w/o telling anyone, especially if a hotel is involved.. is it's something illegal, or illicit... a secret affair or an arrangement?? someone she met on the net?
    drug dealings..? why else would you not tell anyone where you were going?
    this makes me think of what happened emily sanders.. but of course anything could have happened... hope they checked her computer. and- what about toxology reports?
    any alcohol in her system? common sense tells me that someone did something to her, whether on purpose or accident.. and they dragged her body there & dumped it. but why a golf course (as opposed to the woods or a ditch, a murderer's preferred dumping areas..)? did they want her to be found? i would think they might have seen evidence in the grass to know if she was dragged, or if she fell on her own. did she drive there herself after being injured? or did someone else drop her off there, then bring her car there to make it look like she drove herself? where were her car keys?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Excellent questions Reb.

another tragic story...

My first thoughts were that she drove there to meet someone she had met on the internet, that's why she rushed down there. Maybe this person was a no-show at the motel and then she agreed to meet him near this golf course. I agree that whoever did this wanted her to be found quickly, which makes me think this person had some feelings for her.

How could this be an accident...I just don't see it happening that way.

Could the person have been a classmate in trouble and called her to help? Maybe they were suicidal? Maybe they pretended to be someone else?

Did she have a cell phone? (too many cases and I forget!) Surely, they have been over her computer with a fine toothed comb by now. If it was someone from the internet...they should have a lead on that.

This is a very strange case.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

it is a strange case. I don't recall any reports on if her purse, cell phone, maps, etc. were found in her car or whether she had ID on her. But LE seemed to identify her right away with no problem, so I'm guessing they found something with her name/photo.

I'm sure they've gone into her computer and cell by now but computer forensics can take awhile to retrieve, esp if she had deleted stuff. If she had been on Myspace or whatever, usually folks can run that down pretty quickly but I've heard nothing.

I mean it's possible that she parked her car and went walking down the road and somebody hit her, then moved the body off the road? It just seems too coincidental to be an accident...she suddenly goes so far away from school and then turns up dead from a freak accident. I just can't buy into that.

This is one of the strangest cases yet!!! I think she went there to help someone, or to meet someone for 'personal reaons'. The golf course aspect is the strangest part!!!!

What about Blackmail? What could someone have on this girl that could make her meet them under such circumstances?! Dating a married man perhaps?!
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

She had no ties or contacts in the Indiana community.

"We don't know why she went there," Police Chief Nelson said.

Neither her family nor friends were aware that she planned to travel west. She had planned to have some friends over to her apartment Monday night to watch a movie.

When Cotter's body was discovered along the paved walking trail, located in an open field, she wasn't carrying a driver's license or other ID, police said.

Police discovered something else suspicious about the scene but wouldn't say what it was.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...OOLS/801170372

i would think LE would have to go ahead & let the public know what this other "suspicious" thing about the scene was....it's possible it could help w/the investigation???....or maybe i'm just very curious...that leaves it soooo wide open for speculation.....

Cotter was studying for a career in diplomacy, MSU officials said. Her major was international relations with a focus on African politics.

She planned to go to South Africa next year to intern at the Mandela Peace Center.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...OOLS/801170372

I wonder if it could have something to do with her future plans? She sounded very serious about going to work in Africa and suppose she came across someone on the internet that said they were willing to help further her career there. Just a thought.

I think most suspicious are her injuries. It makes me wonder if they found golf cart tracks, motorcycle tracks, or some other evidence like that. If she had been run over or hit with a vehicle of some type...it would account for her injuries.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Any new developments on this case??? It still boggles my mind.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast