1042 users online (203 members and 839 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arrow IL - Lucy Burbank, 1892-1894 - Alleged murder victim?

reportably when seriel killer H.H. Holmes {active 18992/3-1894} in Chicago
    a bank book of a Lucy Burbank was found among the debris of his victiums. Who was she?

wow PFF:

You really go back to the older cases!!!

1892-1894 ??

Bumping to see if anything new has popped up!

This could be something, I am not a member of ancestry.com but the first image that highlights her name after an archive search mentions a bank (First National Bank of an unidentified city) and also that she made deposits on daily basis. It sounds like they are talking about the record book that was found with HH Creeper.

The quote is "It belonged to Lucy Burbank and was the property of the First National Bank of this city" it is an Atlanta newspaper so maybe First National Bank of Atlanta? It goes on.... "It showed that....Burbank was a heavy depositor, putting money in the bank every day and sometimes (?) as high as 3000 (I think)".

Mentions also a Detective Fitzpatrick, I think it says "Detectives Fitzpatrick and Norton" but that is only a guess.

Also says something about being found in a building at 63rd and Wallace (?) streets.

This was published July 22 1895 in The Atlanta Constitution.
    http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...ssing&uidh=000

CONFIRMATION ON ADDRESS

This is about the right Lucy Burbank. Google "63rd and Wallace Streets" and all kinds of hits about Chicago and the book "Devil in the White City" pop up!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=63rd+...ient=firefox-a
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

I found the above article for free. I am attaching it.

It sounds like "this city" is Chicago. Also, the detective said he was confident he would find out who she is. Maybe he did? It seems like he would be able to. Hmm!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Information on the bank she may have kept her money in. What happens to money in a bank if it is not claimed??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Chicago_Bank

I read the book Devil in the White City. It was a very good read. I don't remember Ms. Burbank being discussed in the book by the author but I will see if our library has a copy and have a looksee as to what the author may have found out about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    Information on the bank she may have kept her money in. What happens to money in a bank if it is not claimed??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Chicago_Bank

Your enthusiasm and interest in this case is intriguing Claudette.
    My sleuthing skills will be a new learning experience delving into a case this old. I'm interested in following it and seeing where any research might lead.

My first question on this, and forgive my ignorance, is did women even have rights for assets in the late 1800's. I was a terrible student during my school years..... I've found even laws for cases from the 60's are so different than current laws with unsolved murder cases... this one may be challenging, but well worth the research as we'll all come out with better knowledge and skills.

I'm in the burbs of Chicago, not much of a city girl, do not go to the city often, but I can see what I can do - as time permits - as a semi local.

I almost wonder if some ancestry buffs might be of help here.... we've had a few old cases that were terribly misreported from 1940's or 30's and earlier. So we will see......
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Your enthusiasm and interest in this case is intriguing Claudette.
    My sleuthing skills will be a new learning experience delving into a case this old. I'm interested in following it and seeing where any research might lead.

My first question on this, and forgive my ignorance, is did women even have rights for assets in the late 1800's. I was a terrible student during my school years..... I've found even laws for cases from the 60's are so different than current laws with unsolved murder cases... this one may be challenging, but well worth the research as we'll all come out with better knowledge and skills.

I'm in the burbs of Chicago, not much of a city girl, do not go to the city often, but I can see what I can do - as time permits - as a semi local.

I almost wonder if some ancestry buffs might be of help here.... we've had a few old cases that were terribly misreported from 1940's or 30's and earlier. So we will see......
    Bolded respectfully by me Cubby.

A thread could be started down in the genealogy section for Ms. Burbank and an outline of the who, what, when and where.

The ancestry buffs like to visit that section and help out when they can.

I found the index for Devil in the White City online at amazon.

Lucy Burbank is listed on one page : 364

I'll still drop by the library and flip to that page this weekend.

Thanks all!!!

I will go over to that forum and ask for their help. I have to imagine this was a fairly easy one to solve, even for back then. I am thinking that a lot of information was lost as time went on.

The library has been closed until tomorrow (federal holiday here on Monday) I'll see what I can find, I haven't forgotten

How could a woman make money in the 1890s which would allow her to deposit nearly every day...including sums up to $3000??

I watched this movie last night (documentary)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358500/

If you have netflix you can either order it for viewing, or you can watch it on your computer moniter or you can attach your computer to your TV (newer model) and stream it.

That movie doesn't metion Lucy Burbank. I still have yet to go over to the small library here and see if they have a copy of the Devil in the White City.

Just an update.

FINALLY stopped by the Ancestry forum

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...37#post5432437

Let's hope they can find something!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast