NM NM - Tara Woodman, 18, Albuquerque, Oct 2004

Rle7

Reaction score
The woman has a secret identity.

It's soaked in her shirt, dirty and bloody.

It's in her bones, dry and scattered in the West Side desert.

But is it in this face? Is this her face?

For the first time in Albuquerque, a face has been reconstructed from the skull of a Jane Doe homicide victim.

Detectives hope the sight of it and her distinctive shirt will stir up a memory of the woman and move someone to call in with her name.

Detective Rich Lewis with the Albuquerque Police Department's Cold Case Unit would be happy to get even a hint of her identity, residence or history.

"We're not going to give up until we identify her," Lewis said. "I'm hoping someone sees this and says, `That might be my sister, my daughter, my wife.' That is what I'm hoping to get."

When that happens, Lewis said the case has enough clues that it should be solvable.

http://abqtrib.com/news/2008/jan/19/albuquerque-police-hope-identify-victim-forensic-a/

Here are the reconstructions. Very distinctive nose and thin face.

011908_facial3_t220.jpg

a1_t19jan_facial1_t220.jpg

The woman's skeleton was found in the desert on the city's far West Side on Feb. 25, 2005, by a hiker.

Lewis tracked the shirt to a campaign advocating healthy lifestyles for American Indians, specifically the Navajo Nation.

Her T-shirt was likely handed out during a race in Chinle, Ariz., in late May 2004.

In the summer of 2007, the DNA got a hit.
A woman estimated at between 14 and 23 years old stole a car in San Juan County in February 2002 from a home just outside the Navajo Nation border, Lewis said. The young woman sped into Farmington, crossed into oncoming traffic and crashed. She was burned beyond recognition, but her mitochondrial DNA was put into the national Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS.

"The match means they could be (from) sisters to zero relation," Lewis said.
"Maybe a mom is missing two daughters," he said.

Tara Woodman
The victim was located on February 25, 2005 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She was identified in February 2008, as Tara Woodman.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/identified8.html

http://server.gallupindependent.com/2008/February/022308kh_bodyid.html

KLAGETOH, Ariz. — The first thought that comes to mind when the family remembers Tara Lynn Woodman is her laughter, her sense of humor and outgoing personality.

“She was a beautiful and loving person, full of life and energy,” according to her aunt, Marlene Forster.

Woodman moved to Albuquerque in 2004 and later was reported missing. Now, almost three years exactly after her skeletal remains were found Feb. 25, 2005, on a mesa in West Albuquerque, she is finally coming home to be laid to rest.

Detective Rich Lewis of Albuquerque Police Department’s Cold Case Homicide Unit, who took over the case about 1-1/2 years ago from Homicide, said Friday, “Woodman was reported missing to our agency in 2005, about the same time we discovered the skeletal remains.”

Much like her identity, the secret to Tara Woodman's death is out there, somewhere.

Detectives plan to find out who killed her, just as they located her name last week - about three years after Woodman's skeleton was discovered by hikers on Albuquerque's West Mesa.

Using her recovered skull, a Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department's forensic artist recreated a facsimile of the young woman's face.

And the skull reconstruction, the first of its kind in Albuquerque, broke the case open as an artist's sketch prompted a flood of tips from the Gallup area.

That's Tara Woodman, 18, the callers said.

Aspiring poet. Skilled athlete. Beloved cousin, daughter, niece, granddaughter and friend.

Fresh out of high school, Woodman had moved to Albuquerque from Sanders, Ariz., setting her own path away from the Navajo Reservation and her very large family there.

"Living on the reservation isn't an easy life by all means, but it wasn't difficult for her in a violent sense. She has a very loving family, and she loved them," said her uncle, Mark Forster, from his home in Sanders. "She wrote to family saying I will contact you, but don't contact me. She was starting her own life."

Still, when family stopped hearing from Woodman in the fall of 2004, they started looking for her. They eventually filed a missing persons report with Albuquerque police on Feb. 28, 2005.

The report said she'd last been living with Paul Eugene Perea, then 28. Woodman was Perea's girlfriend, though he was married at the time, according to court records.

Police have not named suspects in the case and would not comment on Perea.

Perea, now 32, is serving 14 years in prison for raping a 13-year-old girl in January 2005, the same month Woodman's skeleton was found.

He also served time at age 19 after he was convicted of beating his abusive father to death at an Albuquerque softball park.

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2008/feb/23/botched-missing-persons-report-delayed-inquiry-alb/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back