Gamer uses virtual training to save two lives

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/gamer-uses-virtual-training-to-save-lives/1181064

(I thought this was kind of "off-beat")

Last November, the twenty-eight year-old helped rescue two victims from an overturned SUV on the shoulder of a North Carolina interstate. As the first one on the scene, Galvanek safely removed both individuals from the smoking vehicle and properly assessed and treated their wounds, which included bruises, scrapes, head trauma and the loss of two fingers.
His medical background? None - other than what he's learned playing as a medic in the computer game America's Army.
The first-person shooter is developed and distributed by the U.S. Army. Though part of its mission is to promote its military namesake, America's Army is a fully-featured game that takes players through a virtual representation of real-life soldiering, from basic training to the field of battle. To play as a medic class, players must sit through extensive medical training tutorials based on real-life classes. (more at link)

(This video "game" sounds really cool!)

Heard a bit of that on the news.
Glade you went further and posted a link.

:)

My husband plays that all the time! It's good to know he's learning something.

Hmmm...I wonder if they have a game which teaches Forensic Pathology?! I could get into that!

I know, SS! I would like that a lot. Maybe we could get Baden to work on that for us. :D

It just goes to show that people can learn a lot, good and bad, from video games. IMO

Pharlap! How fun! Thanks for the link!

We have a pc game titled "Vet Emergency" which we are all still trying to learn. It's pretty realistic.

Hmmm...I wonder if they have a game which teaches Forensic Pathology?! I could get into that!

Can we get an expansion pack so that we can do alien autopsies? That would be way cool.

Oh, sorry, just hearkening back to the X-Files days...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back