916 users online (161 members and 755 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MA - Atlantic Ocean, LIVING Male, WWII amnesia victim, Feb'45

Years ago I read of a World War II amenisa case-found on a raft in Atlantic February 1945-amenisa and mute because of wounds-died March 1975 in Boston Mass-still a "John Doe"
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Hi, PFF and welcome to Websleuths! I found your post very interesting and tried looking for more information. Unfortunately I haven't found anything so far. If I do, I will let you know. Would love to find out this man's identity!

I think there was a refernce to this man case in a book by Jay Robert Nash the crime author

Arrow Link

In February 1945 a seaman was found floating in the Atlantic with a card reading Charles jameson-he had amenesia and the identity could not be confirmed-he died 30 years later-still an unknown.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7qr-CWmQeb...600-h/mrx2.jpg

Interesting PFF thank you for the link to the article.

The card found with him issued to a Charles Jamieson ( surname spelling from article) gave a DOB as April 1898.

I don't have ancestry.com anymore but this one would be a good sleuth for those that do!

I'll nose around and see if I access any census records online for that DOB and name.

Someone should send this case to Colleen Fitzpatrick of Identifinders...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Interesting PFF thank you for the link to the article.

The card found with him issued to a Charles Jamieson ( surname spelling from article) gave a DOB as April 1898.

I don't have ancestry.com anymore but this one would be a good sleuth for those that do!

I'll nose around and see if I access any census records online for that DOB and name.
    I have an ancestry.com account and am looking. 1898 was a bit old to have served in WWII but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by PFF View Post
    In February 1945 a seaman was found floating in the Atlantic with a card reading Charles jameson-he had amenesia and the identity could not be confirmed-he died 30 years later-still an unknown.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7qr-CWmQeb...600-h/mrx2.jpg
    I read the articles and if the govt could not figure out which of the many sunken merchant ships he was on, I don't think little ol me is going to find it now!

1898 is old for active duty - he'd have been 43 when the US entered the war. Wikipedia says that all men aged 18 - 65 had to register and "later" (versus 1941) legislation made all men up to 45 liable for immediate induction. A person born 1898 would have been on the border line for this. Of course, as a merchant marine he'd have been a civilian of sorts, albeit in a combat zone, meaning he'd not be subject to the same restrictions.

If he looked 47 when they pulled him out of the water then I'd have no reason to doubt that he was 47.

If that was indeed his name then given his YOB we might find a WWI registration card for that name (probably a few and then we might be able to narrow it down?)
    Just a thought.

Woot!

Found a link with a picture of Patient X who died in Boston?

http://unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2009...s-amnesia.html

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I have an ancestry.com account and am looking. 1898 was a bit old to have served in WWII but who knows?
    Hi Webrocket. Would you mind to check on your ancestry if there are any more articles listed for this man. I thought there might be a Stars and Stripes one but couldn't access it when I did a non-member search. TIA!

His name was James Hamilton. In the Stars and Stripes section was an article from March 29, 1957 where his sister identified him.

Not sure if items from ancestry.com are in any way copyrighted (doubt it) but they often can't be viewed without an account.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Woot!

Found a link with a picture of Patient X who died in Boston?

http://unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2009...s-amnesia.html
    Funny, this is the second time today I have been to that blog and I have never seen it before-it is nice!

Great picture....and what a story.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

no James Hamilton listed on ABMC or CWGC Somestimes Civilians listed on websites
    A seaman James Hamitlon was lost in USMM_but that was in 1942 -not 1945!

Webrocket maybe you might wish to place message at USMM message board:

http://www.usmm.org/shipmate_search.html

"Does Anyone know of a Seaman named James Hamilton? Possible the unknown
    "John Doe" who was found in the Atlantic in Feb 1945 with a card reading "Charles
    Jamison" and died 30 years later still an amenisa case?" {Link to articles of unknown patient}

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast