745 users online (69 members and 676 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Obese woman on couch for 6 years

Wow... this poor woman... her skin literally grafted to the couch material and was on the couch for SIX YEARS!

http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html#

That is sickening. Poor woman. But how in the heck is it possible that people end up like this??

Wow, that's horrible. You just gave me some extra motivation to get to the gym tonight.

I lived near Stuart when this story first hit the news..
    I am sure we had a link here about it..
    Its from August 2004.

I said then and I will say now... Its disgusting and although I do hold those who waited on her hand and foot responsible I also think personal responsibility comes into play.

I don't normally watch it but I remember an episode of Nip Tuck where the same thing happened.

The character named Sean (I think) went to her home and had a flat bed truck. They put the sofa and the woman (she was fused to the sofa also) on the truck, covered as much as they could with a tarp and he rode back there with her, holding her hand. They had to surgically remove the sofa. I think she died in that episode also.

How did it goes that far? I mean do you just sit down on the couch one day and decide your never going to get up again?

Quote Originally Posted by Blondieskatz View Post
    How did it goes that far? I mean do you just sit down on the couch one day and decide your never going to get up again?
    Now if it was me and my computer chair I could see the risk... Maybe I need to get off here, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I don't normally watch it but I remember an episode of Nip Tuck where the same thing happened.

The character named Sean (I think) went to her home and had a flat bed truck. They put the sofa and the woman (she was fused to the sofa also) on the truck, covered as much as they could with a tarp and he rode back there with her, holding her hand. They had to surgically remove the sofa. I think she died in that episode also.
    I saw this episode... it was so sad.

I don't watch Nip & Tuck, but know have heard a lot of folks comment on it. It's a reality show?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    There was another lady like this on a TV documentary a few months ago but I forget how much she weighed. They took her to the hospital still attached to the couch and removed her from it. She also died. The shock of the surgery was too much.

In the documentary, they talked about how these people lack the genetic switch that tells them when they are full.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I think it's more like one day they can't get up. This lady was only 4'10" and I would think 480 pounds would be hard to lift up. Your legs would give out.

What about using the bathroom?

Yeah, but isn't this like a which came first the chicken or the egg?

Were they that obese when they sat down on the couch and never got up, or did they get that obese while sitting on the couch and never moving? Then comes the problems of eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. What sane person is going to serve you & clean you when you can get up and do it yourself?

That's why I don't understand how it gets that far.

Quote Originally Posted by meowy View Post
    What about using the bathroom?
    I think she didn't actually use any bathroom. meaning, she didn't go to a toilet. i think she was probably too far gone for a long time. hard to imagine not being able to get up to use the bathroom, but consider how some handicapped work this. she probably used this kind of method to relieve herself.

She had to have an enabler(s) because she needed someone to bring her food. Who did that???? She probably went to the bathroom right where she sat.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast