1228 users online (294 members and 934 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

IL - Officer Beats Man Handcuffed And Shackled To Wheelchair, Chicago

Unbelievable...why was this cop "suspended" and not fired? video included

CHICAGO A police officer suspended after a hospital surveillance camera recorded him beating a handcuffed man shackled to a wheelchair is due back to work in April, but the city's new police superintendent says he plans to review the case.
    Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis, who officially takes office Feb. 1, plans to take a "hard, close look" at taking further action against Officer William J. Cozzi, police spokeswoman Monique Bond told the Chicago Sun-Times for a story published Monday.
    Bond called the incident "a concern" for Weis, an FBI veteran chosen to succeed former Superintendent Phil Cline, who announced his retirement last year amid allegations of excessive force, barroom brawls involving off-duty officers and a scandal in a disbanded gang and drug unit.
    Weis has vowed to crack down on misconduct.
    Cozzi, 50, pleaded guilty last year to misdemeanor battery in the 2005 incident.
    The surveillance video presented at Cozzi's disciplinary hearing before the Chicago Police Board last summer and obtained by the Sun-Times through a Freedom of Information Act request shows Randle Miles, now 62, sitting in a wheelchair in the emergency room lobby of a Chicago hospital. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324372,00.html

He should have been fired IMO. There is no excuse to beat on someone after you have physically restrained them. Especially when you are wearing a public uniform and on the clock and supposed to be doing your job which is to see that everyone is folllowing the law. Watching the video though I don't know what disturbed me more. The fact that the cop did that or the guys just standing around watching him do it.

So on top of being stabbed his head was opened up by a cop? This is the feel good story of the year. What would a civilian have faced for charges if the situation were reversed? nuf said.

It's SOP for Chicago cops.

Unbelievable. He pleads guilty and still has a job. Even if he tried to deny what was on tape he should be fired!

Firing this cop would not have been enough. He needs to learn what it means to be completely helpless, and then have someone beat you down.

You know, he probably would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the video evidence. But how do you plead guilty and still keep your job of "Protect and to serve" the public?

Why wasn't he fired and then charged? If one of us had done something like that we would be in jail as I speak! A cop of all things! He should be treated even harsher then a civilian. I hope he is fired but I want to know why he wasn't charged????

They said they took into consideration his many, many years of being a cop. Well, do they really think this is the one and only time he's done things like this? He was only caught this time because of the video.

And I agree with the poster who mentioned the other "officers" standing around just watching and letting him do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
    It's SOP for Chicago cops.
    Yep, this one barely hits a yawn on the outrage meter.

Business as usual.

I saw this on the news last night and had to turn away. I can't watch things like this it makes me want to go off on a rage......

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    He should have been fired IMO. There is no excuse to beat on someone after you have physically restrained them. Especially when you are wearing a public uniform and on the clock and supposed to be doing your job which is to see that everyone is folllowing the law. Watching the video though I don't know what disturbed me more. The fact that the cop did that or the guys just standing around watching him do it.

Fired and a prison term...