1219 users online (242 members and 977 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CT - David MacDonald, 25, Hartford, 10 April 1956

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: April 10, 1956 from Hartford, Connecticut
    Classification: Missing
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair.
    Details of Disappearance
    David departed from his family's residence in Hartford, Connecticut on April 10, 1956. He had an appointment in Cambridge, Massachusetts later in the day. David cashed a check at a Hartford bank and was carrying approximately $265 at the time of his disappearance. He has never been heard from again. David was married in 1956 and his wife was pregnant at the time he disappeared. He had resided in Hartford since 1953 and was employed at Wardsworth Anthean Museum. David's loved ones did not notice any change in his behavior prior to his disappearance.
    David previously attended Mount Herman School in Wakefield, Massachusetts and was also a student at the University Of Connecticut. He served in the United States military during the Korean War. David's father, Herman A. MacDonald, was the former mayor of Beverly, Massachusetts. Herman also served as the first secretary to two governors. He was also the former Commissioner Of Public Works in Massachusetts and served as the chairman of the tax board. David's mother's maiden name is Young and her family settled in Londonderry, Connecticut in 1745 on a large farm. David's parents resided on Gilcreast Road in Londonderry in 1956.
    An extensive search covering several states failed to produce any evidence as to David's whereabouts. His sisters married and he may not have been aware of their husbands' names if he attempted to contact them later in life. David's case remains unsolved.
    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Joe Glenn
    CarolMac Corporation
    Greenville, South Carolina
    800-772-5355

OR
    864-297-5355

I got the following email today:

Dear Meaghan,
    It is with some regret that I am contacting you to notify you of the resolution of missing person David Bigelow MacDonald, http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ald_david.html . Through your site, I was contacted by a person who discovered that my uncle, missing for more than 50 years had been alive and well, living in Seattle, Washington. Unfortunately, the discovery of his true identity only became known when a 3x5 index card was found among his personal effects stating his, “true identity”, and other personal information. Finger prints were taken from the corpse and compared with prints of David MacDonald on file with the military. The finger prints were enough to confirm his identity and negate the need for DNA comparison to his siblings.
    Without the listing of the missing person information on your website, www.charleyproject.org, my aunts and uncles would have never learned the fate of their brother.
    Thank you for providing the service you do. My family appreciates it as will many other families in the future.

meg,, wow that is fantastic. and i want to say THANK YOU too...!!!

I wonder just what he was running from. It seems abominably selfish on the face of it. If you're going to walk out on your family and your pregnant wife, okay, that's your right -- but at least leave a note saying "I am leaving you and no longer want to be in contact with you. No one is forcing me to do this, it is my own decision."

But perhaps there's a lot more to the story than any of us will ever know.

Glad to have found the answers

I spent time searching for David. I contacting the local LE, which no longer had his file, his last place of employment, who was kind enough to provide me what little information they had on David, none of it lead me any further than the old newspaper clipping I held.

I was happy to read today David's mystery was solved, but sad to think of his child who never knew him or all the time his family search and prayed he'd return or be found and how much they all missed together.

There is a similar story on BoulderJaneDoe.com. Twylia May Embrey, disappeared sometime in 1953, her family in their search provided DNA for testing against BJD but no match. Yet only a few months later the answers finally came for the Embrey family.

http://www.boulderjanedoe.com/index....Article&id=118 and
    http://www.boulderjanedoe.com/index....Article&id=139

Let us hope we can find the answers to Boulder Jane Doe as well.
    "The answers are out there... but who has 'em?"

The Hartford Courant is going to do an article about David. A reporter interviewed me by telephone about it. (I love being interviewed. You get to talk about yourself and your favorite topics without sounding like a jerk.)

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    The Hartford Courant is going to do an article about David. A reporter interviewed me by telephone about it. (I love being interviewed. You get to talk about yourself and your favorite topics without sounding like a jerk.)
    be sure to post it, we would love to read it and hear what you have to say. I am so glad you helped this family in their search for him.
    What he did was horrible though. Did he at least leave his wife with anykind of financial support or did he leave her destitiute and pregnant?

I don't know what kind of condition the wife was left in, although the reporter said she did interview the wife.

She said David did not remarry while he was gone, but he did form attachments to a kind of surrogate family.

Meghan--

I'm so proud of what you've done via your website and of how you've helped so many people. I can't believe how much you've done and you're so young! Wow.

Hoppy

I would do it even if it didn't help anybody. It's just this peculiar absorbing hobby of mine that happens to be helpful to the world. I have other weird hobbies that are helpful to no one. For instance I'm quite obsessed with the author Robert Cormier -- far more so than missing persons -- and spent $650 on a cross-country Cormier research trip last summer. This missing persons thing is just something I like to do.

If he had been alone in the world then It would be so bad. i am picturing this poor, pregnant lady with no job being a homemaker with a mortgage and other living expenses when this guy jsut leaves her! I do hope she was ok.

It's sad that he felt like he had to put his family through that. What happened to his wife and child?

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    Meghan--

I'm so proud of what you've done via your website and of how you've helped so many people. I can't believe how much you've done and you're so young! Wow.

Hoppy

Seconded!

It makes me wonder.....

This story makes me wonder just how many missing out there that we all read and research and discuss over and over are people who just turn their backs on everything and start new lives.

I have always had this thought in my head but never had a good forum discussion to get it out.

Someone on TV brought that up shortly after katrina when discussing the missing. All the missing of katrina are of course presumed dead but there has to be a few who just took the opportunity to start fresh maybe b/c of bad credit and debt or abusive relationships. Who knows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast