Parents Sue Hospital After Stillborn's Body Was Sent To The Cleaners

White Rain

Reaction score
These poor parents. How heart-breaking. As if one tragedy wasn't bad enough.

FORT WORTH, Texas — A couple are suing a hospital after their stillborn baby's body was sent with dirty laundry to the cleaners.
The Huguley Memorial Medical Center of Fort Worth staff took 19 hours to find the missing body, which was unpreserved and by then had been crushed and disfigured, according to the lawsuit filed Tuesday.
Kourtney McGee of Cleburne went to Huguley in July because she was bleeding in her second trimester, then gave birth to Jacob Dwayne Robinson. Staff told McGee and Milburn "Pete" Robinson of Alvarado, the baby's father, that the body would be taken the morgue.
But when the funeral director arrived, he was told the body could not be found. The baby's body was not refrigerated when it got to the morgue but instead was sent to a commercial cleaner with the laundry, according to the suit.
The lawsuit contends Huguley Memorial Medical Center breached its duty to care for, handle, maintain and/or prepare for burial. The lawsuit alleges negligence, which is the failure to extend ordinary care, and gross negligence, which shows either reckless conduct or conscious disregard for the family's rights.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324928,00.html

That's awful! :(First the couple has to go through the pain of losing a baby, then to have the indignity that the hospital did that and now they don't even have an intact body to bury??? :razz:I sure hope some people get fired over this and the hospital has to pay out big time!:mad:

How in the world did the baby get mixed up in laundry?
Unthinkable....omg:furious:

How sad for those parents!

These poor parents. How heart-breaking. As if one tragedy wasn't bad enough.

FORT WORTH, Texas — A couple are suing a hospital after their stillborn baby's body was sent with dirty laundry to the cleaners.
The Huguley Memorial Medical Center of Fort Worth staff took 19 hours to find the missing body, which was unpreserved and by then had been crushed and disfigured, according to the lawsuit filed Tuesday.
Kourtney McGee of Cleburne went to Huguley in July because she was bleeding in her second trimester, then gave birth to Jacob Dwayne Robinson. Staff told McGee and Milburn "Pete" Robinson of Alvarado, the baby's father, that the body would be taken the morgue.
But when the funeral director arrived, he was told the body could not be found. The baby's body was not refrigerated when it got to the morgue but instead was sent to a commercial cleaner with the laundry, according to the suit.
The lawsuit contends Huguley Memorial Medical Center breached its duty to care for, handle, maintain and/or prepare for burial. The lawsuit alleges negligence, which is the failure to extend ordinary care, and gross negligence, which shows either reckless conduct or conscious disregard for the family's rights.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324928,00.html

Huguley and Harris Methodist hospitals have HORRIBLE reputations in this area. I've always wondered why.. we go to Baylor. Now I know why at least one of them sucks.

This is so sad it makes me sick to my stomach.

It probably was wrapped in blankets. An employee goofed up; lack of communication, who knows.

That's what I think happened. I think we can agree that no one at the hospital did this on purpose, but I'm sure that does little to ease the family's pain.

as some of you know my first son was still born. i had to fill out paper work before i left the hospital saying what funeral home was allowed to get my son. they lost the paper work. the funeral home called early the next morning explaining that they could not get my son til i returned to the hospital and redid the paper work. due to the fact i had left the hospital i would need to re-identify the body. i was so upset and did not know what to do. the nurse who had helped deliver my son had said to call if i needed anything. i called and she was not there but her supervisor asked if she could help. i explained what had happened and told her i was unsure i could walk into the morgue to identify the baby in my current emotional state. she put me on hold for 5 minutes and the head of the department picked up. they asked for the name of the funeral home and my name. she said not to worry the funeral home should call me in a few minutes to let me know it was handled. a few minutes later they called and said the hospital agreed to waive the ID and paper work.

accidents happen. misplacing a paper i can understand. misplacing a child i can not. this was some1's baby. my doctor told me they try to stay somewhat detached in cases like this but it is impossible to forget this is a child. i think in this case they crossed the line between a mistake and indifference. the moment this was discovered everyone free should have been looking for this child. 19 hours not knowing where the body of your new born is would be unforgivable to me.

I don't think anyone even contemplated that the stillborn baby was sent to a laundry facility on purpose. Negligence is negligence, whether accidental or purposeful. At least one person handled the baby and probably several other people handled the laundry. They will probably never know who was responsible, but incidents like this do point to staff negligence overall.

I think the parents will win the lawsuit ( probably settle out of court) and more residents in this part of Texas will think twice before going to Huguley.

:0 That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard.
The poor parents. How do they recover from such a tragedy?

I don't think anyone even contemplated that the stillborn baby was sent to a laundry facility on purpose. Negligence is negligence, whether accidental or purposeful. At least one person handled the baby and probably several other people handled the laundry. They will probably never know who was responsible, but incidents like this do point to staff negligence overall.

I think the parents will win the lawsuit ( probably settle out of court) and more residents in this part of Texas will think twice before going to Huguley.

I tend to think of negligence as something harming a living person.
I am sure this further emotionally upset the family.. BUT in reality when dealing with such a thing they probably needed someone to blame for something.
Its just human nature.
I am not sure what the cause for the lawsuit is???
Yes ... its emotionally tragic ... but worthy of a lawsuit??
Only if the hospital is responsible for the baby being stillborn. Then this would take on a twist of covering up responsibility.

I tend to think of negligence as something harming a living person.
I am sure this further emotionally upset the family.. BUT in reality when dealing with such a thing they probably needed someone to blame for something.
Its just human nature.
I am not sure what the cause for the lawsuit is???
Yes ... its emotionally tragic ... but worthy of a lawsuit??
Only if the hospital is responsible for the baby being stillborn. Then this would take on a twist of covering up responsibility.
if they are suing for malpractice then the death of the child would factor in. if your child was killed in a car accident tomorrow and after the hospital tried to save him they tossed his body in the trash by mistake would it be negligence? the fact it was a still born child wont change the facts. the hospital failed to show reasonable care with the body of a person that died in their facility. the hospital has a duty to not misplace the bodies that are left in their care. you are not allowed to just pick up your dead child and leave the hospital.

Sherri,

I agree with you. This just adds insult to injury whether the hospital was responsible for the baby being still born.

How awful for the parents!

I agree that it adds insult to injury.....
However a lawsuit is a looong drawn out process which in many cases only serves to relive the trauma..

I am not defending the hospital but I question if suing is really needed.

I'm sure suing is never really necessary. Since anger is one stage of grief, they are probably totally enraged at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back