1574 users online (363 members and 1211 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Incubator fire badly burns Minn. newborn

MINNEAPOLIS - Oxygen ignited inside a special hood worn by a prematurely born infant in a hospital, burning the boy's head and face and leaving him in critical condition.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22809784/

Poor little guy!

Oh my gosh - how tragic! How in the world does something like that happen? Prayers for the family.

Many moons ago, I worked extensively on a case where my atty represented a man that had burned to death in his hospital bed. No one could ever figure out how it happened. We examined the bed. The man was an amputee and he was a smoker, but there was no indication that he was smoking in the room. The fire department couldn't figure it out - no one could. When the bed caught fire, he could not get away. It was awful.

holy crap! i world be so angry if that was my baby... what the heck happened???!!! an o2 hood is supposed to be safe...

What a terrible accident, my heart goes out to this baby and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Oh my gosh - how tragic! How in the world does something like that happen? Prayers for the family.

Many moons ago, I worked extensively on a case where my atty represented a man that had burned to death in his hospital bed. No one could ever figure out how it happened. We examined the bed. The man was an amputee and he was a smoker, but there was no indication that he was smoking in the room. The fire department couldn't figure it out - no one could. When the bed caught fire, he could not get away. It was awful.
    Spontaneous human combustion??? Poor little man I hope he gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
    holy crap! i world be so angry if that was my baby... what the heck happened???!!! an o2 hood is supposed to be safe...

I wonder about the warmer. If the O2 concentration is high enough even flesh and muscle will burn if ignited. It's absolutely awful.

Crypto6

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post

Perhaps I've been on WS too long, but with the (supposed) flame-retardant properties of hospital bedding, but I'm thinking arson. Possible here??
    Was this at a VA hospital??

Crypto6

From the above link....

~~sniped

Chris Messerly, an attorney for the newborn's family, said that the fire shouldn't have happened, but that the family is focused on letting their baby heal and is not yet considering legal action.

"The family is doing remarkably well under the circumstances," Messerly said.
    Sending love out to this family, may the Universe come together to say a prayer for them.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    This is so horrible, just heartbreaking for that little baby and the family. I hate to think of all the pain

Does anyone know if this is an o2 hood?

Last edited by Marie; 01-24-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Bless his heart. That poor baby. He's had to fight against such tough odds already in his short life. I hope he heals well.

May God and Jesus be with this little baby throughout this ordeal so that he might recover fully.

This poor baby. May God be with him and his family. I wish him a speedy recovery. I would be very upset if this was my child and would definitely be taking legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    Spontaneous human combustion??? Poor little man I hope he gets better.
    o/t, but does that really happen?

Quote Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
    o/t, but does that really happen?
    NO. Its a myth like Big Foot.

I think the warmer had something to do with this.. possibly a higher concentration of oxygen??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast