Incubator fire badly burns Minn. newborn

Oh my gosh - how tragic! How in the world does something like that happen? Prayers for the family.

Many moons ago, I worked extensively on a case where my atty represented a man that had burned to death in his hospital bed. No one could ever figure out how it happened. We examined the bed. The man was an amputee and he was a smoker, but there was no indication that he was smoking in the room. The fire department couldn't figure it out - no one could. When the bed caught fire, he could not get away. It was awful.

holy crap! i world be so angry if that was my baby... what the heck happened???!!! an o2 hood is supposed to be safe...

What a terrible accident, my heart goes out to this baby and his family.

Oh my gosh - how tragic! How in the world does something like that happen? Prayers for the family.

Many moons ago, I worked extensively on a case where my atty represented a man that had burned to death in his hospital bed. No one could ever figure out how it happened. We examined the bed. The man was an amputee and he was a smoker, but there was no indication that he was smoking in the room. The fire department couldn't figure it out - no one could. When the bed caught fire, he could not get away. It was awful.

Spontaneous human combustion??? Poor little man I hope he gets better.

holy crap! i world be so angry if that was my baby... what the heck happened???!!! an o2 hood is supposed to be safe...

I wonder about the warmer. If the O2 concentration is high enough even flesh and muscle will burn if ignited. It's absolutely awful.

Crypto6

Perhaps I've been on WS too long, but with the (supposed) flame-retardant properties of hospital bedding, but I'm thinking arson. Possible here??
Was this at a VA hospital??

Crypto6

From the above link....

~~sniped

Chris Messerly, an attorney for the newborn's family, said that the fire shouldn't have happened, but that the family is focused on letting their baby heal and is not yet considering legal action.

"The family is doing remarkably well under the circumstances," Messerly said.
Sending love out to this family, may the Universe come together to say a prayer for them.

This is so horrible, just heartbreaking for that little baby and the family. I hate to think of all the pain :(

Does anyone know if this is an o2 hood?

2MOMWIT1.jpg

CLOSE-1.jpg

Bless his heart. That poor baby. He's had to fight against such tough odds already in his short life. I hope he heals well.

May God and Jesus be with this little baby throughout this ordeal so that he might recover fully.

This poor baby. May God be with him and his family. I wish him a speedy recovery. I would be very upset if this was my child and would definitely be taking legal action.

I think the warmer had something to do with this.. possibly a higher concentration of oxygen??

sure sounds like an O2 hood from the article to me. those are used all the time. maybe with the ambient warmer... i don't know. CRAP!
i can guarentee some changes come down because of this one in the nursery setting that's for sure. that baby would have been ok otherwise if it hadn't been for this.

This is so horrible, just heartbreaking for that little baby and the family. I hate to think of all the pain :(

Does anyone know if this is an o2 hood?

2MOMWIT1.jpg

CLOSE-1.jpg
Yes Marie those are similar to the O2 hoods we use in the NICU or special care nursery at times. Baby is overall doing well, just needs some 02 support.

Yes Marie those are similar to the O2 hoods we use in the NICU or special care nursery at times. Baby is overall doing well, just needs some 02 support.

Thank you Pedinurse. That's my baby just an hour old, now 6yo. We were waiting for the life flight to arrive. I always wondered what that was. I can't begin to imagine the horror of it catching fire.

Thank you Pedinurse. That's my baby just an hour old, now 6yo. We were waiting for the life flight to arrive. I always wondered what that was. I can't begin to imagine the horror of it catching fire.

I should REALLY clarify on my post that "baby is overall well" with babies in O2 hoods... here's the deal...
usually things are overall going in a good direction in regard to respirations if you are able to get the baby to an o2 hood or other form of 02 such as a nasal cannual or something vs. an advanced airway such as a vent or oscillator. :-( In other words, the baby was doing good enough to support his or her own respirations on their own, but needed O2 support - in regards to the babies airway. A lot of babies in the NICU are not able to, and some end up on a vent or a oscillator. Sounded like the baby needed to be in a warmer too if I remember from the article, so it needed to have its temp regulated.

Of course you can have OTHER issues - infection, ect that require you to admit to the NICU and are life threatening. There are SO many things that go in the NICU... it is amazing.

Hope that makes sense. Just wanted to clairify. I am so glad your baby is better Marie!

From on the News channels they say the baby has 2nd & 3rd degree burns.....he has over 17% of his body burnt.

He is critical but expected to survive & Drs aren't certain about scarring according to KSTP News today. The Mom hasn't been able to hold the baby nor touch him. MSNBC may of gotten it wrong, but KSTP said he was 12 hrs old. So sad........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back