NY - Andrew Stein, 8 mos, mauled to death by dog, Brooklyn, 3 Jan 2008

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-baby0104,0,4902519.story?coll=ny_home_rail_headlines

An 8-month-old boy was attacked and killed by the family's pet Doberman Pinscher in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon, police said.

The 3-year-old dog, a neutered male named Mackabee who had been a member of the Stein family since he was a puppy, set upon Andrew Stein after he touched the dog's paw inside the family's home on Ocean Parkway, in Kensington, the boy's grandmother told police.

The grandmother, who was babysitting Andrew and was in the kitchen at the time, heard the child scream and ran to see what happened.

"The dog completely destroyed the baby's head," according to building superintendent Leonardo Collado.

This is so sad, I wonder if the grandmother had tried to pull him off before she ran to get help. This is so horrible.

My nephew when he was 2, had his ear ripped off by his grand mothers cocker spaniel. Doc's sewed it back on, tg....

Don't know what ppl are thinking today, with ALL the attacks that have been on the news. You would think ppl would be more careful these days, by watching the kids.
I just don't get it.

Now this one....just terrible...

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-baby0104,0,4902519.story?coll=ny_home_rail_headlines

An 8-month-old boy was attacked and killed by the family's pet Doberman Pinscher in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon, police said.

The 3-year-old dog, a neutered male named Mackabee who had been a member of the Stein family since he was a puppy, set upon Andrew Stein after he touched the dog's paw inside the family's home on Ocean Parkway, in Kensington, the boy's grandmother told police.

The grandmother, who was babysitting Andrew and was in the kitchen at the time, heard the child scream and ran to see what happened.

If the grandmother was in the kitchen, how did she know that Andrew touched the dog's paw? If the family knew the dog was sensitive to his paws, why was an 8 mth old left unattended w/ the dog?

Somedays stories like these are just so hard to read. I have a wonderful, dopey and easy going 90lb black Lab. He's wonderful with my children. They can climb on him and he just licks them and loves them back. BUT, I don't trust him completely because he is a dog and will act differently when I am not there. Like snatching the food off the table, or ripping up poopy diapers. I would just never leave him completely alone with my little ones since I am the dominant one and they are not. They can't protect themselves.

It just kills me....

Somedays stories like these are just so hard to read. I have a wonderful, dopey and easy going 90lb black Lab. He's wonderful with my children. They can climb on him and he just licks them and loves them back. BUT, I don't trust him completely because he is a dog and will act differently when I am not there. Like snatching the food off the table, or ripping up poopy diapers. I would just never leave him completely alone with my little ones since I am the dominant one and they are not. They can't protect themselves.

It just kills me....

So true. I have a baby gate that keeps my two dogs in the kitchen and down stairs limitation. They are let out only when I can sit down and supervise. They get plenty of attention as we are in and out of the kitchen but I couldn't just let them run loose around the house with my kids. My mom has a lab that is so sweet, the kids climb on him and he just lays there but one day when my daughter was crawling she crawled over by him when he was eating and he started to growl at her, which he has never done. Well he most definitely got his but whipped by my mom and had to go to his kennel but it just shows you never can tell what could send them back to basic instincts.

When I was young my grandmother had some kind of little terrier dog that I was terrified of. That dog would snap at our heels if we moved too fast or went anywhere near grandma's bedroom. That dog was totally protective of HER.

Man this is just too much. Seems like more and more of these are going on.

Quick story time...LOL
When I was a baby my granny bought a dobbie. Her name was Stacy and she was my babysitter..LOL No one could get near me to cause me pain. I remember getting my teeth pulled as they were loose and they had to lock her up in a different room as she wanted to eat my granny for causing me pain. Also when I was like 4 or 5 Granny was pushing me around in a cart and I was screaming as it was fun. Well Stacy thought Granny was hurting me and attacked Granny. She had her calf almost torn completely off. Granny was not mad as this is what they trained her to do. Not that I agree with how she was trained now. but Stacy lived a long life till I was 15. All the Dobies I have known personally pick one person and are VERY protective of that person. I would love to have one for my child, but always remember Stacy in the back of my mind. She was never agressive unless she thought I was in pain. She was 6 weeks older than I . I am ashamed to admit this but when I was 3 I even nursed her when she had her pups. I really think she thought I was her pup. I even at 2, bite off the tip of her ear, and she just sat there.

Okay story time over, lol, Sorry every time I see A dobie I always think of my Stacy.

Man this is just too much. Seems like more and more of these are going on.

Quick story time...LOL
When I was a baby my granny bought a dobbie. Her name was Stacy and she was my babysitter..LOL No one could get near me to cause me pain. I remember getting my teeth pulled as they were loose and they had to lock her up in a different room as she wanted to eat my granny for causing me pain. Also when I was like 4 or 5 Granny was pushing me around in a cart and I was screaming as it was fun. Well Stacy thought Granny was hurting me and attacked Granny. She had her calf almost torn completely off. Granny was not mad as this is what they trained her to do. Not that I agree with how she was trained now. but Stacy lived a long life till I was 15. All the Dobies I have known personally pick one person and are VERY protective of that person. I would love to have one for my child, but always remember Stacy in the back of my mind. She was never agressive unless she thought I was in pain. She was 6 weeks older than I . I am ashamed to admit this but when I was 3 I even nursed her when she had her pups. I really think she thought I was her pup. I even at 2, bite off the tip of her ear, and she just sat there.

Okay story time over, lol, Sorry every time I see A dobie I always think of my Stacy.

That's quite a story, LOL!! You could write a book about that one and I would read it. :laugh: I'm LMAO!

<If the grandmother was in the kitchen, how did she know that Andrew touched the dog's paw?>

hey.... great question, kahskye!!! something is amiss here! how could she see what was going on if she wasn't in the room.......??

so sad...... i know that dobies (and some purebreds in general, unfortunately) are sometimes prone to snap due to inbreeding (and who knows what else?)..... i sure do love dobies, though,, beautiful dogs. especially when humans don't mutilate their lovely, long, floppy, velvet- soft ears....

indy.. glad your granny didn't discipline (too harshly) her dobie for attacking her... this must be a very conflicting thing for dogs.. when they think a child is being hurt, they're supposed to be protective.. but i guess some feel they have no other choice but to attack their owner.
it's funny to watch my lab/dal watching my bf & i hugging... she is always watching us very carefully,, especially if he hugs too tight & i say 'ouch'... i can see the wheels churning in her mind.. as she looks back & forth at both of us to read our 'eye language'. we'll just stand there watching her... and eventually, she will start this low inquisitive growl while wagging her tail.. as if to say.. everything's OK,,, right?? and we'll laugh and then she wags her tail harder & laughs.. it's very funny to watch. sometimes we'll both growl to egg her on and see what she does but by then she's in on the joke. she's very attentive and protective....! (but not in a psycho kind of way.)

or... maybe she's just jealous. LOL

I have two dobermans currently .........IMO they are terrific but can be quirky. Each one I've owned had a very very different personality.

IMO Granny knew the dog didn't like to have his paws touched and she now assumes that's what happened. She's probably right.

That's quite a story, LOL!! You could write a book about that one and I would read it. :laugh: I'm LMAO!
Why thanks. I should write a book of all the animals through my life. Heck i had my first horse at 4. If you cant tell I was the first Grandbaby and a little spoiled...LOL

If the grandmother was in the kitchen, how did she know that Andrew touched the dog's paw? If the family knew the dog was sensitive to his paws, why was an 8 mth old left unattended w/ the dog?

Maybe she has a kitchen that opens up to the living room? Poor baby. I hate stories like these. Prayers for the family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back