The unusual life of Tom Jones' wife

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
They married when they were both 16 and have been wed for 51 years but have you ever seen her by his side? not likely, because she's an agoraphobic. unsurprising considering her husband's shameful faithlessness to his Linda. however, apparently "Despite all the affairs, he has never loved anyone else; and she loves him. She still lights up when he is around."

not the usual life of a Hollywood wife.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=510459&in_page_id=1879

Wow. Who knew Floh? They just had a PBS special of him on like last month. Man, his pants were tight as all heck. Interesting too seeing him smooching his dancers as well. That's amazing about his wife. Must be awful that disease.

I heard about her reclusiveness years ago, but forgot because she simply isn't in the public eye.

she would appear to be incredibly lonely in her gilded cage, or so it would seem. :(

I heard about her reclusiveness years ago, but forgot because she simply isn't in the public eye.

she would appear to be incredibly lonely in her gilded cage, or so it would seem. :(

If anything at least the guilded cage was lovely. Some poor souls suffer and live in poverty with nobody to care. Not that it helps that poor woman any though. It's interesting though. Thanks for this link.

Unless Tom Jones has actually caused the condition, it's good that he's stayed with his wife of many years instead of dumping her for a younger woman like so many stars do to their wives.

Unless Tom Jones has actually caused the condition, it's good that he's stayed with his wife of many years instead of dumping her for a younger woman like so many stars do to their wives.

And all his affairs? how could she stand to have stayed with him? i don't understand, i really don't.

And all his affairs? how could she stand to have stayed with him? i don't understand, i really don't.
Neither do I..But maybe there relationship has just become platonic..
Hi Floh...:blowkiss:

Poor woman couldn't leave the house. I am not being in the least a smart alec. Perhaps he was security to her and she lived in that house not worrying what he did outside the home. That has to be just horrendous that condition.

Thanks for the article Floh! Very interesting. I had no idea. Maybe one day she could be tranquilized and put on a plane to go back to England. I think she'd be much better off there with her son & family.

My husband's father had agoraphobia. It was terrible. On his 50th wedding anniversary we had to invite people to his house because he wouldn't go out of course and we had to think of my mother-in-law too. Even having all those people there was totally overwhelming for the poor guy. At one point we noticed he was missing and we found him in the basement, pacing back and forth.

This is truly an awful condition to have... and it seems like a strong possibility that even though it may have been genetic, his international fame and whoring around probably made her much more neurotic. But it is possible that even with that... some couples can still have a lasting relationship on a whole different level. It is amazing they've stayed together this long.

How could she leave him....she couldnt leave the house!
And why hasnt she received any help? All that money he could have paid for a psychiatrist to come to the house to work with her....I wonder if he actually prefers her out of the way so to speak.....
Id also say this is probably due to his infidelities, and the paparazzi. Always writing about every little detail of celebrities lives.

As I understand it,some people who suffer from agoraphobia,feel very content and comfortable with the situation,and are not unhappy with it at all,even though they know it's not good or right.

As far as the relationship with Tom,it sounds like the same reasoning Frank Sinatra's first wife believed: "All the other women were "flings" and mean't nothing,I had his children,I will always be his "true" love." Some women are okay with that,and make themselves believe it.Maybe in some warped self preservation way it is true,and good enough for them...I guess.

Who are were to judge ....(certainly not a way of life for me though.)

This is truly an awful condition to have... and it seems like a strong possibility that even though it may have been genetic, his international fame and whoring around probably made her much more neurotic. But it is possible that even with that... some couples can still have a lasting relationship on a whole different level. It is amazing they've stayed together this long.

I believe it's genetic but just from reading the article it seems there could be some other issues going on. OCD maybe? - vacuuming the shag and polishing "acres of brass" and maybe a dependancy for alcohol? - cleaning while drinking. I have to say, I think she looks pretty rough in the photo for living the 'good life'.

As I understand it,some people who suffer from agoraphobia,feel very content and comfortable with the situation,and are not unhappy with it at all,even though they know it's not good or right.

When I was a child one of my parents' friends was agrophobic, and she was exactly like this - quite content and safe, as long as there was no pressure for her to go outside. I get the impression it's not the easiest disorder to treat. She saw a psychologist the whole time she was ill, and it still took her around 9 years (from memory) to leave the house. Even now she rarely goes out, and becomes anxious if more than a few kilometres from home.

Is she just a recluse? He states he didn't make "star" friends because he wouldn't invite them to the house because she was so "shy".

Seems like she has lots of issues and I don't understand why she hasn't gotten help. Maybe she likes to live the way she does?
On another note,I think i've written this before on here,but when I was 15,I loved Tom Jones. He was performing near my house,so my girlfriend(16),and my sister(24),and I went and stood in front of the hotel he was staying at,in hopes that we might see his limo drive up. After standing there for awhile,I was approached by a man who asked if I might want to meet Tom. Of course,I did!!!! After much convincing ,I got my sister to agree,and the 3 of us were brought up to a hotel room,and there he was in the flesh(actually a red velour robe).Things were cool for a minute until they realized how young my friend and I were. They offered to take me and my friend down for an ice cream,if my sister might want to give Tom a"massage". She wouldn't hear of it. But they were very gracious,let us sit up and talk to him for about 2 hours,and gave us free tickets to the evening show.
Boy,when I think of it now, how stupid were we?

It sounds like a positively awful life to me.

i was going to say the same thing!....i can't imagine living life like that....the agoraphobia's one thing, but turning a blind eye to all his affairs over the years.....i'm with Floh; i don't understand that at all...

thanks for the article....interesting for sure

Agoraphobia is very hard... it's deep-seeded in a fear of certain society aspects, that is very very stressing... I knew someone that had it and for such an intelligent and talented man, the agoraphobia robbed him of the ability to function outside of his house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back