Bullys Tape Attack On Web In School

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
This is so sad. This poor boy was beaten IN school while a teacher was present and it was taped by kids and put on the Web. His mom was horrified to find the video on her sons Myspace page, but then grew sick when she realized it was her son that was the victim. This poor kid has hearing impairment, and they dubbed him "Dummy slow". Again, yes a teacher was in the room. Supposedly the taecher has been fired. This stuff happens in Philly public schools all the time. http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20080125_Bullys_taped_attack_on_Web.html

:( My heart aches for this young, disabled boy. Those bullies need more than suspension, and that teacher should have his/her license or certification taken away for good. :( :(

I'm sorry but if he functions as a 2nd grader, there is NO WAY he should have a myspace account. IMO

:( My heart aches for this young, disabled boy. Those bullies need more than suspension, and that teacher should have his/her license or certification taken away for good. :( :(

I'm sorry but if he functions as a 2nd grader, there is NO WAY he should have a myspace account. IMO

So it goes in these parts, Taxi Mom. This family moved here to Philly from Virginia. The mom said she wanted to get him in The Pennsylvania School For The Deaf, but he wasn't deaf enough? I hear ya abut the Myspace account but the way it goes here that's the last thing they worry about out there on the streets. You worry going out your front door. Sad ain't it? I was surpirsied the mom wasn't out there beating somebody down. Seems she's from somewhere else and has some sense. They just last week cut a girl up something terrible after school. Over a hundred stitches in the kids face. Adults were in on it too. It's chaos.

Wasn't there a similar case last year? I think it was a girl that was being beat up in class by a couple of other girls, which was recorded on a cell phone, that showed a teacher in the background, just turning her back on what was happening? God, if you can't trust teachers to at least protect your kids, who can you trust?

Poor kid. How frightening for him.

I'm not trying to justify the teachers actions here, but it may not have been so easy for the teacher to do much about it. I've worked in a school with kids of 11 or 12 who were bigger than me, carried knives and had already been 'jumped in' to large scale gangs, and with parents who threatened the lives of both teachers and their families if you dared to reprimand their child. In one case a parent actually broke in to a teachers home and burned the faces out of all the pictures of her 6 month old baby that she had around the house... and threatened to do the same to the baby if she ever disciplined his son again. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but if so I have some sympathy for the teacher, as no matter which path you take when a problem like this comes up, it can have some pretty serious consequences.

JMO, and I'm not trying to have a go at anyone who feels differently :)

Taximom - I agree about the myspace, but thank goodness he did have one and his mom monitered it so that she found out what happened and she can get her son out of that environment.

And I find what Waterlilly has to say about the schools in the area very disturbing. I would say something should be done but if the parents condone such behavior all a sane parent can do is find a way to get their child in a safer environment.

Salem

In news link "Teacher was removed from teaching duties and may face disciplinary action", he stood there & watched as a defenseless child was being beat up and did nothing. I'm sorry he should have done something, he could have went and got help if he thought he couldn't handle situation himself. JMHO

Poor kid. How frightening for him.

I'm not trying to justify the teachers actions here, but it may not have been so easy for the teacher to do much about it. I've worked in a school with kids of 11 or 12 who were bigger than me, carried knives and had already been 'jumped in' to large scale gangs, and with parents who threatened the lives of both teachers and their families if you dared to reprimand their child. In one case a parent actually broke in to a teachers home and burned the faces out of all the pictures of her 6 month old baby that she had around the house... and threatened to do the same to the baby if she ever disciplined his son again. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but if so I have some sympathy for the teacher, as no matter which path you take when a problem like this comes up, it can have some pretty serious consequences.

JMO, and I'm not trying to have a go at anyone who feels differently :)

I would like to hear what the teacher has to say. We just had a teacher here injured while trying to stop a fight between students. It happens all the time.

It's highly possible they had this child in a "hidden" part of the room, I guess. I know some classrooms have spaces sectioned off for individual work, so maybe they got to the boy that way. :(

Heartbreaking story. Like bullies the world over, they pick on those they perceive as weaker to make themselves feel stronger. Kids can be uncommonly cruel.

I don't know how to fix the big picture. I know if this was my son, he wouldn't be going to that school. I would find alternative educational opportunities.

Water Lily is right in the aspect about the teacher. I thought more on the line he should have left and got help. Our school system in Philadelphia is touted as one of the wrost in the country. Last year they broke a teachers neck by tripping him. Even in elementary school they are violent and act out on the teachers. For alot of us the only other alternatives are private schools. Even then ya got mayhem sometimes going on. Kids set fires in classrooms. A high school not far from me had to have riot police called in twice last year and it's not an inner city school so yeah it's frightening. Hate to diss my own, but that's how it is. I just feel awful for this boy and they called him names like that? How can a person learn in that environment?

I shouldn't have read this.
Stories like this make my stomach turn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle