825 users online (94 members and 731 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Woman Convicted of Cruelty Toward 230 Dogs

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 72-year-old woman collapsed in court on Tuesday after a jury convicted her of animal cruelty toward more than 230 Chihuahuas and 60 birds she kept in squalor at her southern California home.

Emma Regina Harter, who was also convicted of lesser charges of battery on an animal control officer, unsanitary conditions and failure to isolate sick animals, was treated in the courtroom by paramedics and released, prosecutors said.

She was ordered to return to court on Friday, when she faces a possible sentence of five years in prison.

Authorities raided Harter's home, which was caked in layers of fecal matter and where Chihuahuas were living in the walls, in November and seized the animals.

Story from Yahoo News

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Had to pop in and read this one real quick - was curious as to whether the woman was from Toronto or not.......

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

She is 72

Now this woman DOES have a mental illness. If they throw her in jail I'm going to be truly pissed off. Animal "collectors" like this woman are suffering from a mental illness. I read an article about it. They feel that THEY are the only ones who can care for these animals and that if they give them up, they're going to die. They can't see the fact that they can't give them proper care and usually, they don't take proper care of themselves either.

I can't imagine what 200+ chihuahuas look like in the same place! Poor little creatures

I saw a show before on people that take in lots of animals. I do believe it is associated with mental illness. Who would want that kind of mess?
    Just my opinion of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    She is 72
    Yes, but is she from Toronto????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael
    I saw a show before on people that take in lots of animals. I do believe it is associated with mental illness.
    ATTENTION CASS: Please read above. I believe this is a direct attack on your character!

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    ATTENTION CASS: Please read above. I believe this is a direct attack on your character!
    LOL... I only have 3 cats, 1 dog, 1 hamster, 2 sea horses, 20 tropical fish and 1 (recently) deceased frog... I am not as bad as the old lady with the chihuahuas!!!

Yo Quiero Humane Society?