SteveHuff

The Websleuther formerly known as misterallgood
Reaction score
Website
www.truecrimeweblog.com
... This one:

'Significant developments' in Susannah Chase homicide

A quote from the article:

"Boulder police have called a press conference for 2 p.m. today to announce 'significant developments' in the investigation of the 1997 killing of University of Colorado senior Susannah Chase.

"Chase, 23, was attacked Dec. 21, 1997, across the street from her home at the corner of 18th and Spruce streets, according to Boulder police..."

Susannah was murdered almost a year after JonBenet, of course, and there's been speculation ever since -- by those who do not believe "the parents did it" -- that the murders might be connected.

Jury's out on that, but this could potentially be pretty interesting, no matter what.

I've wondered about a Ramsey connection, but given the alleged propensity for violence ascribed to one Alex Midyette, who was a teen in high school in Boulder at the time, I've wondered about him, too.

EDITED TO ADD: Probably not Midyette. He's not hispanic or native American in the least.

Steve

More validation for not giving up hope as the years go by! Thanks for the heads-up!

Boulder police have made an arrest in connection with the brutal 1997 slaying of University of Colorado student Susannah Chase based on a DNA match, investigators announced this afternoon.

The suspect, Diego ElCaldez, 38, is facing murder, kidnapping and sexual assault charges and is being held on $5 million at the Boulder County Jail.

"We're ecstatic," Boulder police Chief Mark Beckner said at an afternoon press conference announcing the arrest.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/27/significant-developments-susannah-chase-homicide/

Arrest made in Susannah Chase homicide

Boulder police have made an arrest in connection with the brutal 1997 slaying of University of Colorado student Susannah Chase based on a DNA match, investigators announced this afternoon.

The suspect, Diego ElCaldez, 38, is facing murder, kidnapping and sexual assault charges and is being held on $5 million at the Boulder County Jail.

"We're ecstatic," Boulder police Chief Mark Beckner said at an afternoon press conference announcing the arrest.

Police said the suspect is from Chile and has family in Aurora, but never lived in Boulder and may have been involved in other crimes.

He was in custody in Wyoming before being transferred to the Boulder County Jail.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/27/signi...

Good news for the family!

I think they'd better check this guy really good. I'll bet the farm that he hasn't kept his nose clean in the last 10 years.

WOW!!! This was the last thing I expected to see when I looked at the Times Call today. I am so happy for Susannah's family.

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=6162

BOULDER — A suspect in the 1997 murder of Susannah Chase has been arrested, Boulder police announced Sunday. A DNA match out of Wyoming led police to Diego Olmos-Alcalde, 38, who had served time in Wyoming on a kidnapping charge and was wanted for violating his parole. Boulder police learned of the match just three days ago.

~~~SNIP~~~

My Sunday Times Call remains unopened from yesterday. I did see Beckners press conference, and Tez thank you for the link.

Not known IF the man arrested is an illegal or not, he came from Chile. I am wondering what other evidence they have that they have not released?

Good news is that he has been locked up for the past 7 years for another KNOWN crime. That was how his dna was in the national data base, that caused his current demise.

Something I remember about the initial information on Susannah case, troubles me, but I will keep it to myself and just wait and see what comes out at his trial.

I worked on my own for so long and hard on Susannahs case. Some closure for the family and all the rest of us as well to have this skum bag taken out of circulation.

I guess at this point there is zero connection to little Jon Benet.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/28/significant-developments-susannah-chase-homicide/#comments

"Sunday, Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy said she will personally prosecute Alcalde, along with Assistant District Attorney Pete Maguire."
:eek:

:eek: Yeah, that's how I felt when I read that! But, she has to redeem herself some way for not wanting to prosecute the Midyettes!!! Hopefully, she'll be out of office before this guy goes to trial. I think she'll probably offer him a deal....:rolleyes:

You are welcome Camper!

Something I remember about the initial information on Susannah case, troubles me, but I will keep it to myself and just wait and see what comes out at his trial.

Camper...that isn't nice to throw something out like that and then not say what the info is....we will be on pins and needles to know what it is. Come on...there won't be a trial for a year or more.

I am sorry to have left you all hanging. I lost my post here early this morning to answer.

My thought is probably insignificant. I recall back in 1998 that the semen found on SC was believed to have been from the night before. This was either a media boo boo, or a lack of good investigating by LE. ALthough I do believe that LE did dna testing on all friends of SC, which should have included the bf, and they all passed. So on reflection it was most likely dumb media reporting.

SC had stayed at the hotel where relatives and friends of the graduating class were staying, the night before the murder. The next night she went for pizza with her twin bf from Germany to Abo's pizza parlor, which was rather near to where she lived, easy walking distance for her. I believe the bf's twin was with them.

SC and bf had a disagreement about whether she would stay at the hotel again this night, she did not want to stay at the hotel and bf wanted her to. This was what was reported in the media at that time.

She then left the pizza parlor and headed for home up the alley that went behind the Ramsey and partners owned restaurant.

Thats it.

===Now I am wondering IF IF this FOUND murderer may have worked at the Ramsey restaurant. The owner kept a baseball bat there to thwart roudy patrons with. That bat was used by the co owner (Jay?) with Ramsey, to chase away what he thought were reporters one day. Jay ?? actually chased the men out in the street with THAT bat.

In fact the men he thought were reporters were actually just in the area innocently - I cannot remember the co owners name was it Jay something??

Anyway WE never knew where the murder bat came from. IF IF IF the murderer worked at the restaurant he probably knew John Andrew R, who also worked at the restaurant.

Another thought I have is wondering IF IF the murderers mom ever had access to the Ramsey home, as a housekeeper or in some capacity.

Crazy, but I still think there is some sort of a connection to the JonBenet case.

ALL of my children worked at Pizza Hut during their high school years. Pizza parlors have a wide variety of people who work one time or another in the kitchen prep area, mostly young folks. I would think the same is true for Abo's at that time and now for that matter.

Was the name Elowski I can't quite remember the name of JR's partner.

I will bet that LE did NOT ask any former employees to ID the murder bat!!!!!!!

From January 2013:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_22440934/appeals-court-rejects-diego-alcaldes-appeal-susannah-chase

The Colorado Court of Appeals has denied an appeal by Diego Alcalde to overturn his conviction in the 1997 rape and murder of 23-year-old University of Colorado student Susannah Chase.

Alcalde was found guilty by a Boulder County jury in 2009 of first-degree murder, first-degree sexual assault and second-degree kidnapping. But Alcalde – who is currently serving a lifetime prison sentence without the possibility of parole – alleged in the appeal that his Miranda rights were violated and that statements made during the trial by prosecutors and the judge should have resulted in a mistrial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back