1416 users online (313 members and 1103 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

NY - Bronx, 'Baby Hope' 50UFNY, 3-5, in cooler, July'91 - Anjelica Castillo-Ramirez

FOR THE LATEST ON BABY HOPE GO TO POST # 146 OF THIS THREAD

Please take a look at this case. http://doenetwork.org/cases/50ufny.html
    Anyone know of any new leads or possible matches to this girl?
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.

What this poor little girl went through

Poor baby

I suppose the child was the natural child of the woman or the man and that's why police can't connect her with a missing child? The only possible match I could come up with on Doe Network was this one:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1489dfmx.html

Sometimes it astounds me what a sick, sick world we live in.

Ever since I read about her I've thought that it was her mother and father that did this to her, and that she wasn't a missing child. This is like the Jerrell Willis case. His body was left by his parents in a pack and play bag in an empty lot in Philly. No one ever knew who he was until his uncle moved back to the area and started asking questions about him, and when he wasn't getting answers he started looking on ncmec and found a bust that was made of him. I have a feeling that her identity will never be known unless her parents have a guilty conscience and turn themselves in or someone from her family starts looking for her.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
    Ever since I read about her I've thought that it was her mother and father that did this to her, and that she wasn't a missing child.
    I agree. I have a hard time working the "unidentified infant" cases because I know there is only one person who would be looking for that baby and that person put her where she was found.

There is one unidentified baby that someone could find a match for. She's on the doe network at case 295UFWA. She was about a year and a half old, found in 1987 in a river in Washington state. A body believed to be her mother was found several days later in a different river. (Grissly case, missing head and legs, legs found all the way down river in Portland.) She apparently doesn't have her own doe network file. The county has not done a DNA comparison, and there is now no money to do an exhumation.

The Seattle PI covered this case as one of their entries in the 2003 series "Without a Trace" The web link is http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...ingday25.shtml

If someone here is more experienced at posting than I am, maybe you could start your own thread on Baby Jane Doe 1987.

The Seattle PI put together a very comprehensive database of missing and unidentified people in Washington as part of their series. Many of the cases do not appear on the doe network. You may find it useful in your research.

seattlepi.nwsource.com/missing/index.asp

Note, I do not know if the data base has been updated recently. Some of the cases may have been solved.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 03-26-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: broken quote

That is a terrible case. I have tried looking into that one, matching up women that were missing with their child, but could not find any that seemed to be a suitable match. I wonder if enough people rallied together and came up with enough money to exhume the body and do the DNA test, if the county would perform the test?

In the late '60s (1967, I believe) a very similar case occurred on the Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge (one could almost see one "dump site" [I hate that term] from the other). The young girl in this case, who had also been molested and abused, was identified. Her father was arrested for the crime. This would only be 13 or 14 years before this young lady's tragic demise...When I have access to my files later today, I will post more exact info. I was startled to say the least by the 1967 case...I can see the area she was found from my office window...And I have had my boys hiking right through the location.
    ***May 1st, 1967. !0 year-old Robin Rogers, raped, sodomized and strangled. Her parents reported her missing, then the mother (name unknown) had her husband, James Rogers, arrested for incest involving Robin. In the only report I could find, James was in Kings County Hospital for observation and charges were pending.***
    Last edited by shadowangel; 08-30-2005 at 02:44 PM.

That is so horrible. I tried to see if he was still in jail but the NYS DOC is not very detailed with their inmates information. I found one that might be a match and if it is him he's been released.

Date of Information:

08/30/05

DIN (Dept. Identif. Number) 83C0428 Inmate Name: ROGERS, JAMES Sex: MALE Date of Birth: 03/23/1947 Race/Ethnicity: BLACK Custody Status: RELEASED Housing/Releasing Facility: ATTICA Date Received (Original): 06/09/1983 Date Received (Current): 06/09/1983 Admission Type: County of Commitment: ERIE Latest Release Date/Type:
    (Released Inmates Only) 06/14/85 PAROLE - COND REL TO PAROLE Crime 1, Description: SEXUAL ABUSE 1ST Crime 1, Crime Class: D Crime 2, Description: Crime 2, Crime Class: Crime 3, Description: Crime 3, Crime Class: Crime 4, Description: Crime 4, Crime Class: If all 4 crime fields contain data, there may be
    additional crimes not shown here. In this case, the
    crimes shown here are those with the longest sentences. Aggregate Minimum Sentence: 001 Years, 04 Months, 00 Days Aggregate Maximum Sentence: 004 Years, 00 Months, 00 Days Earliest Release Date: Under certain circumstances, an inmate may be released
    prior to serving his or her minimum term and before the
    earliest release date shown for the inmate.
    See "Help" for further information. Earliest Release Type: Parole Hearing Date: Parole Hearing Type: PAROLE IMMEDIATELY ELIGIBLE Parole Eligibility Date: 02/16/1984 Conditional Release Date: 06/16/1985 Maximum Expiration Date: 10/16/1986
    Last edited by Paradise; 08-30-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Fix Link

- Henry Drummond

Paradise-Good job digging, but I don't think this could be the same guy...Robin was 10 in '67, so she was born in '57. This guy was born in '47, so he would have been 10 when she was born. Of course, he may not be the bio-dad and may have married and older woman with a child...Sometimes pedophiles go "fishing" for women who have children in their preferred age range...

Yeah that's true...I hadn't thought that this might not have been the bio dad.

- Henry Drummond

I have never understood how a child could go missing, and not one person notices...

Does this tool exist, or is it still in science fiction stage:
    Run a scan of the faces in the found photographs (if indeed faces are available) and run it thru some type of mugshot thing, and see if it comes up with any type of match?

Interviewed Baby Hope Investigator

Hi everyone. I'm new to Websleuths. As it happens, I'm a writer and I interviewed Jerry Giorgio, the lead investigator on the Baby Hope case.

I can tell you that she was found on July 23, 1991, in a 40 quart, dark blue Igloo cooler with a white top, off the Henry Hudson Parkway in northern Manhattan. There was almost no forensic evidence of the killers, no fingerprints, no DNA. The detectives followed over 300 leads, they even tried a psychic at one point, and while they located other missing children in the process, and rescued at least one other child from a situation that involved sexual abuse, they never found Baby Hope’s killer or killers.

No one ever forward to claim her. She’s never been identified. For two years she was stored in the morgue, and that was more than the detectives could bear. They pooled their money, paid for her funeral, and buried her at St. Raymond’s Cemetery in the Bronx in a plot donated by the Catholic Archdiocese, two years to the day after she was found in the cooler on the highway.

Jerry Giorgio hasn’t given up even though he is now retired from the NYPD, and works as a senior investigator at the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. Baby Hope was actually laid to rest in a long white dress picked out by Jerry Giorgio’s wife. Because it was impossible by that time to actually put her in the dress, it was carefully and lovingly placed on top of her.

Every July 23rd he visits Baby Hope's grave and studies the small plot and the toys that are piled up in front of her tombstone. They want to see if anything new has been added that might lead them to her killers.
    Last edited by Stacy Horn; 09-21-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Stacy-Welcome to WS, and thanks for jogging my memory. I've been meaning to post this....

In Feb '89, Gustavo Izquierdo couldn't be happier at the birth of his daughter, Elisa. Born to a drug-addicted mother, Elisa herself was a "crack baby". Gustavo, a Cuban immigrant, was determined to give her the best life he could. Her mother, Awilda Lopez, was not in her life, but there was one problem-Gustavo had cancer. Awilda and her husband Carlos convinced social workers that they had turned their lives around. They were granted unsupervised visits with Elisa. It did not take long, however, for Gustavo to know something was wrong, horribly wrong. Elisa was showing signs of physical and mental abuse and sexual molestation. In '93, Gustavo tried to take Elisa back to his native Cuba, but died before they could leave. Awilda and Carlos, who by this time already had four chiildren between them, fought for and won permanent custody of Elisa (even though members of the community tried to fight it). Carlos was a very violent man-in '92, just a month after the birth of the couple's second child together, he stabbed Awilda 17 times. He served two months in prison.
    Elisa's abuse was evident to everyone. Finally, on Nov 22, 1995, Elisa died from the continued beatings and abuse. Her mother refused to acknowledge what had happened, calling her sister and telling her that Elisa was lying on the bed like she was "retarded or something". She then ran to the roof of the apartment house and threatened to jump.
    I won't go into the details of the abuses she suffered, but NYPD detectives described it as one of the worst cases of abuse and molestation they had ever seen.
    I have to wonder if Elisa and Baby Hope are somehow related...

What a horrible story. Good God. (I'm not sure about the cases being related though, since it sounds like various agencies had some awareness of the families, even if they were not appropriately responsive. They knew the total number of children, and if one girl went missing it would be noticed. Famous last words.)

I would have to respectfully disagree. Awilda and Carlos were living a transient, drug-abusing lifestyle. I don't see that it would be difficult for them to keep at least one child "under the radar"-or living with "friends". They really only came to the attention of Child Services when they went seeking visitation with Elisa, and that was probably only because she was in Carlos' preferred age range. She was severely abused and molested for nearly 4 years, even when her father and neighbors/teachers complained. They were still doing drugs during this time. Child Services completely dropped the ball-and, as can be seen in NJ, sometimes they just don't see what they don't want to see. Truthfully, I doubt that the caes are related, but if it hasn't been looked into I think it certainly should.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast