Nigella Lawson: I won't be leaving my children a penny

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Tough love? no free ride? i get it, i really do.

She shares an estimated wealth of more than £110million with her husband, the marketing guru Charles Saatchi, and has a £7million London home.
However, Miss Lawson says she will leave none of it to her offspring.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=510913&in_page_id=1773

For pounds pretty much double it to US dollars at present currency conversions.

But her kids could do like Baron Hilton did, and still get a claim to the fortune as set by law. But heck, they are only 11 and 13... why is she so adament about cutting them out of her money, being as they aren't even adults, yet. She, herself, comes from inherited wealth...

Was she left money? her father is still alive.

i believe she is providing her children with the best education, although i may be wrong?

Part of me sees her point, but part of me thinks she is a selfish witch who just wants to spend all her money on herself. Why not set up small trust funds for each of the kids with the stipulation that they be used to get a start in life, but not have it be enough to be anything they can live on indefinitely without working?

Part of me sees her point, but part of me thinks she is a selfish witch who just wants to spend all her money on herself. Why not set up small trust funds for each of the kids with the stipulation that they be used to get a start in life, but not have it be enough to be anything they can live on indefinitely without working?

Who knows what she'll really do? it's all talk right now. :)

and it appears her husband doesn't agree with her anyway.

Something is wrong with her thinking. I agree with you why would you leave little children to fend on their own? Or even older children when you had the ability to care for them? She does seem self absorbed to the point of making this all about herself. It isn't like she had to grovel to get to her state of wealth.

She's a wacko....nothing more, nothing else.
daa.....:waitasec:

I don't really see how it's my business what this woman does with her money, so I don't understand why she's announcing her financial decisions to the world. I can see making this announcement to kids that age privately, though. But her discussing it with the press makes her look like she's more interested in attention than in the children's characters.

MMmmmm, I wonder if her lil darlings will remember those words when dear ol' Nigella is dribbling porridge in a nursing home......
Attention seeking IMO..must keep your name in the press.....darling'.

MMmmmm, I wonder if her lil darlings will remember those words when dear ol' Nigella is dribbling porridge in a nursing home......
Attention seeking IMO..must keep your name in the press.....darling'.

With her family history it's probable she won't make nursing home age. :(

There are so many ways she could structure this. She could say no one gets money until they graduate college or trade school, at which time they get a modest sum.Then more payable once they make so much per year.She can set her own paypoints to encourage the kids to get their education , work and set goals. She can really control them from the grave if she wants too lol.
What I mean is she can teach them to work for their money AND leave them with a nest egg by creating criteria under which they inherit.

Mother died of liver cancer at the age of forty-eight, sister Thomasina died of breast cancer in 1993 during her early thirties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_Lawson

i knew her at one time and she's a driving force. worked in the same office. liked her Joie De Virve. therefore i'm of course biased. she's rarely come off as a sympathetic figure except when her first husband died a crushing death. and then she went and ruined all as far as the media were concerned after her caring for him to the end by taking up with Saatchi too soon for the media's taste. she nursed John Diamond through terrors. i like her and am thrilled by her success. :)

Following slots as a culinary sidekick on Nigel Slater's Real Food Show on Channel 4, she did eventually go on to front three television cookery series broadcast in the UK on Channel 4. Diamond originally came up with the idea of writing a cookery book, which was entitled How to Eat and published in 1998.[4][9] Lawson, however, could not bring herself to write How To Eat until a long period after the deaths of her mother and sister, as cooking had been a cherished pastime which she had often shared with them; thus, it would have made her too sorrowful to write it straight away. She soon realised that food was actually the opposite to death: "It's about keeping yourself alive."[10] The book became very successful and sold 300,000 copies in the UK.[8] She soon had a second best-selling book in 2000, How to be a Domestic Goddess and a social affairs column in The Observer.[4] The book won Lawson the title of Author of The Year at the British Book Awards in 2001,[8] fending off competition from J. K. Rowling.[11] One commentator suggested she only won the award because her husband was about to die of cancer.[8] Lawson commented "I am not against pity, but I have no desire to be tragic."

Nigella will never be tragic, come what may. she's not the sort. :)

Diamond died aged 47 (of throat cancer), leaving his wife Nigella Lawson and their two children, Cosima and Bruno. On 3 September 2002, his widow opened the John Diamond Voice Laboratory at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London, where Diamond had been treated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Diamond_(journalist)

and now i shed tear all over again for which she'd never thank me. onward and upward is her way. :)

Sounds like media attention she wanted..
Maybe she says this now, yet changes her mind and leaves them something later on. To make sure they get some good work ethic instilled in them first. She should, however, set money aside for their college.

Sounds like media attention she wanted..
Maybe she says this now, yet changes her mind and leaves them something later on. To make sure they get some good work ethic instilled in them first. She should, however, set money aside for their college.

I expect their father left them money for that. if not, i don't believe she wouldn't see them through their education.

but i don't know.

It's got to really be good for a little eleven year old to hear from his wealthy friends that his mother isn't going to leave him any money if she dies. I guess the weird woman thinks she will live until the kids are grown so she's not worried about them now or what would happen if she died tomorrow. I think I'd care about any future grandkids and hope that family money helped them someday or worry that if one of my kids became horribly disabled they might not have any resources for good care.

Well!--Nigella's cooking show is Patti's favorite on the Food Channel but after reading this, she won't watch her anymore--anyway,wow--I had no idea that beautiful(although she's packing on the pounds as of late) Nigella was so rich--She certainly married well--I am sure that the kids education will be paid for but otherwise they could be holding the bag--not sure what her rationale is--Guess all her money will go to Charity--But personally,and as a male, I find it hard to get mad at such a beautiful British babe like Nigella:)---Luckily my late father had the foresight to prevent such a thing in our family--Although he left most everything to his younger wife(my stepmother), he had the will written in such a way that, upon her death, she HAS to leave my brother and I most of the money(She has no children herself)--But of course, she'll probably outlive my brother and I anyway, so its probably a moot point lol--and unlike Nigella, my stepmother is a wonderful person, kind and generous

Oh gosh is this about Nigella Lawson? I remember her from when I could still watch the Beeb, LOL.

I remember the awesome stand-up comedian Jasper Carrott, in the days when there was all the hoopla about Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses book, say something like 'its a good thing Nigella Lawson's dad's name wasn't Salman or she would have been called Salmanella'. God that was priceless.

Oh gosh is this about Nigella Lawson? I remember her from when I could still watch the Beeb, LOL.

I remember the awesome stand-up comedian Jasper Carrott, in the days when there was all the hoopla about Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses book, say something like 'its a good thing Nigella Lawson's dad's name wasn't Salman or she would have been called Salmanella'. God that was priceless.

I loved Jasper Carrott! is he still going? :)

I have no idea, I'll have to Google him one of these days! Just thinking about him has me in stitches. :)

Edit: the first site that comes up is www.JasperCarrott.com, who'd have thought, LOL! Just the first quote on his page has me almost PMSL already - "laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list".

I have no idea, I'll have to Google him one of these days! Just thinking about him has me in stitches. :)

Edit: the first site that comes up is www.JasperCarrott.com, who'd have thought, LOL! Just the first quote on his page has me almost PMSL already - "laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list".

This will rock you! turn your sound up. :)

"I knocked over a man and he admitted it was his fault as he had been knocked down before."

http://www.carinsuranceinformationv...lA/djspiner/jasper-carrott-car-insurance.html

"It's not really live, is it?"

http://www.carinsuranceinformationv...r-carrott-proving-hes-on-live-telly-1979.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back