Kidnapped girl 'rescued' by lions

What a great story, animals have a sixth sense when someone is hurt or sick, and their instinct is to nurture, I think that may have happened here, this girl was no threat to the lions and for some reason or the act of god this little girls life was spared.

I'm more in shock at the end of the article where it says that abductions lead to marriage! Does that mean that young girls are kidnapped and then made to marry their captors?:confused:

I'm more in shock at the end of the article where it says that abductions lead to marriage! Does that mean that young girls are kidnapped and then made to marry their captors?:confused:

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, and that in Arsi, the remote region where Chaltu is from, the figure is as high as 80 percent.
Residents say men often see kidnapping as a cheap way to get a wife, since parents demand as much as US$400 in dowry for virgin girls. A girl who was abducted and raped, however, can be had for as little as US$50 and a horse, because the families think no one else but the abductor -- often 10 to 15 years older -- will marry her.

More at link
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/09/26/2003204410

"The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, and that in Arsi, the remote region where Chaltu is from, the figure is as high as 80 percent.
Residents say men often see kidnapping as a cheap way to get a wife, since parents demand as much as US$400 in dowry for virgin girls. A girl who was abducted and raped, however, can be had for as little as US$50 and a horse, because the families think no one else but the abductor -- often 10 to 15 years older -- will marry her."

I am so glad that she was found and safe. I am sure that she was terrified.

Having spent time in Tanzania as a short term missionary I can say that even in Christian circles they still practice this. It can be very difficult for a young mans family to come up with and adequate gift for trade. Not only that they are then expected to throw a large feast for many wedding guest. Our last trip there our oldest daughter was 15 and someone offered 6 cows for her. Someone else gave her a chicken and a pig.It's hard to hold a chicken on your lap and keep track of your pig in church.

What a great story, animals have a sixth sense when someone is hurt or sick, and their instinct is to nurture, I think that may have happened here, this girl was no threat to the lions and for some reason or the act of god this little girls life was spared.

The Dhaliwal brothers that got Tatiana the tiger and Carlos Sousa killed at the S.F.Zoo should take note of this story... Not all wild cats are vicious, depends on how you treat them.

The Dhaliwal brothers that got Tatiana the tiger and Carlos Sousa killed at the S.F.Zoo should take note of this story... Not all wild cats are vicious, depends on how you treat them.

Well at least one game expert quoted in the story said he felt like the lions were probably getting ready to eat the little girl!

We really don't know how to interpret wild animal behavior - all the "experts" seem to contradict each other.

The parents of the brides in our country are expected to come up with the money to pay for the elaborate wedding and a dinner for wedding guests, too! LOL

This reminds me of the story of the child that fell into the pit at the zoo and the female Ape (?) came to his rescue and carried him to a safe place then kept the other animals away from him until help came.

Some animals (especially female) do have an instinct to protect the young. The fear of the child wasn't directed towards the animal, but the abductors. It truly is an amazing story!

When I was 18 months old, we had a country home where we spent weekends. We had cattle and a horse or two. While mom was hanging out laundry, I wandered off into the pasture with a huge horse who was known for his ill temper that no one but the caretaker could get near. Mom found me right between his front legs petting him and she freaked. She said she calmly walked towards the horse and he never moved a muscle until she had safely removed me. I found this to be pretty amazing, too!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back