Found Deceased CA - Jo Anne Burmer, 25, Nevada City, 27 Feb 1973

HollywoodBound

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: February 27, 1973 from Nevada City, Nevada
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: March 25, 1947
Height and Weight: 5'3, 135 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Burmer may use the last name Norman. She wears eyeglasses.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Two layers of clothes, black boots, snowshoes, and a navy blue watch cap.

Details of Disappearance

Burmer was last seen in Nevada City, Nevada on February 27, 1973. She disappeared while trying to hike through the snow to a friend's cabin. She has never been heard from again. Burmer is missing under suspicious circumstances. She was reported missing by her friends on March 8; she had left her baby with them. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Nevada County Sheriff's Department
530-265-1471

Source Information
California Attorney General's Office
The Doe Network

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/burmer_jo.html

I wonder why it's considered suspicious circumstances -- it sounds to me like she might have just got lost and frozen to death. Of course, so little info is available on her case.

One quick clarification: Nevada City and Nevada County are both in California, not Nevada.

Yes, you're right I just looked up to make sure there wasn't a Nevada City in Nevada too and I don't see one. Plus the phone number for the Sheriff's Dept. is in CA.

I wonder why it's considered suspicious circumstances -- it sounds to me like she might have just got lost and frozen to death. Of course, so little info is available on her case.

Yes, they make it sound like she was abducted in her snow shoes. I wonder what the circumstances around this disappearance are. The friends who were watching the baby waited 9 days before they reported her missing.

I wonder how far away the friend's cabin was and what was the reason to take off for the cabin in what sounds like a terrible snow storm. Was someone after her and that is why they suspect foul play? If so, why wait so long to report someone missing?

Perhaps the police don't believe she ever walked off into the snow to begin with. Maybe the friends told that story, but the police believe something else happened to her and her friends made up the stuff about her going off to another cabin. This is pure conjecture, of course. I wish I could find some articles on her disappearance.

I just realized the Charleyproject has her age at the time of the disappearance as 38, Doenetwork says 25. The other vital statistics appear to be the same on the 2 sites, just not the age.

That is weird, but from the looks of the picture, I would guess that the missign date of 1973 would be more accurate than 1986...

Yes the glasses she's wearing in the picture look more like from the 70's. The picture is not real clear though. I wonder why family or whoever submitted the pic did not use a clearer one.

Any speculation on what happened to her? I can say 2 things about Nevada City...
one is that it is possible for heavy snow in the surrounding areas, town is different from 5 miles above town, as to snow accumulation. Don't know the snowfall for that year however. Most of the time it;s not bad.
two, there are mountain lions and bears everywhere, even in town, and they are seen regularly throughout the year. Not uncommon at all.

There is also another woman missing from this area, Elsa Wind, very beautiful young lady...and it is the same area, very close.

I can do local research here

When I first read the circumstances of the disappearance it sounded like a Lost/Injured/Missing case but the doenetwork says foul play is suspected. I think the story behind this case probably paints a different picture than what is known from reading online.

If she had snow shoes I would think the snow is pretty deep and she was having to walk on an unplowed surface, but like MW pointed out the friends could have made the story up. I wonder who took care of the baby after she goes missing, sad case.

Any speculation on what happened to her? I can say 2 things about Nevada City...
one is that it is possible for heavy snow in the surrounding areas, town is different from 5 miles above town, as to snow accumulation. Don't know the snowfall for that year however. Most of the time it;s not bad.
two, there are mountain lions and bears everywhere, even in town, and they are seen regularly throughout the year. Not uncommon at all.

There is also another woman missing from this area, Elsa Wind, very beautiful young lady...and it is the same area, very close.

I can do local research here

I just noticed you said you were local to this missing person's case. Had you heard of this case before? Was there ever any updates in the local papers?

Hi, all. I just recently found I am connected to this case. I can answer a few questions that have been asked.

The case was considered 'suspitious' do to the 'friend' she was going to see. It was her married boyfriend...she went to confront him (at the urging of her friends NOT to) and give him the ultimatum of her or his wife...this was a long term affair...and the baby that was left with friends was his...and he wasnt a baby...he was three years old...so a toddler.

Her body was never found nor any of her effects...except her backpack...and some reports claim the back pack was found in her 'friend's' cabin...but he claimed he never saw her.

And, she went missing March of 1973...not 1986.

That is interesting. How are you connected to the case? Do you know where the boyfriend is now?

I knew Joanne before she went missing from her Colfax, CA home. Mutual friends told me about Joanne vanishing without a trace. IIRC, she had a three-year old son named Robert by her married boyfriend.

I ran across this thread today, and spent over two hours checking for Joanne in the "resolved cases" link above, but never found her name. She was a few years older than me and the disappearance occurred in 1973.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back