825 users online (109 members and 716 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Jo Anne Dolly Burmer, 25, Nevada City, 27 Feb 1973

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: February 27, 1973 from Nevada City, Nevada
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: March 25, 1947
    Height and Weight: 5'3, 135 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Burmer may use the last name Norman. She wears eyeglasses.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: Two layers of clothes, black boots, snowshoes, and a navy blue watch cap.

Details of Disappearance

Burmer was last seen in Nevada City, Nevada on February 27, 1973. She disappeared while trying to hike through the snow to a friend's cabin. She has never been heard from again. Burmer is missing under suspicious circumstances. She was reported missing by her friends on March 8; she had left her baby with them. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Nevada County Sheriff's Department
    530-265-1471

Source Information
    California Attorney General's Office
    The Doe Network

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/burmer_jo.html
    Last edited by KateB; 08-14-2015 at 06:11 PM.

I wonder why it's considered suspicious circumstances -- it sounds to me like she might have just got lost and frozen to death. Of course, so little info is available on her case.

One quick clarification: Nevada City and Nevada County are both in California, not Nevada.

Yes, you're right I just looked up to make sure there wasn't a Nevada City in Nevada too and I don't see one. Plus the phone number for the Sheriff's Dept. is in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    I wonder why it's considered suspicious circumstances -- it sounds to me like she might have just got lost and frozen to death. Of course, so little info is available on her case.
    Yes, they make it sound like she was abducted in her snow shoes. I wonder what the circumstances around this disappearance are. The friends who were watching the baby waited 9 days before they reported her missing.

I wonder how far away the friend's cabin was and what was the reason to take off for the cabin in what sounds like a terrible snow storm. Was someone after her and that is why they suspect foul play? If so, why wait so long to report someone missing?

Perhaps the police don't believe she ever walked off into the snow to begin with. Maybe the friends told that story, but the police believe something else happened to her and her friends made up the stuff about her going off to another cabin. This is pure conjecture, of course. I wish I could find some articles on her disappearance.

I just realized the Charleyproject has her age at the time of the disappearance as 38, Doenetwork says 25. The other vital statistics appear to be the same on the 2 sites, just not the age.

That is weird, but from the looks of the picture, I would guess that the missign date of 1973 would be more accurate than 1986...

Yes the glasses she's wearing in the picture look more like from the 70's. The picture is not real clear though. I wonder why family or whoever submitted the pic did not use a clearer one.

I checked with Cali DOJ. It gives two different dates of disappearance: http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/det...=3690517400238 It looks like I used the bottom one and Doe used the top one.

I hate it when they do that.

Any speculation on what happened to her? I can say 2 things about Nevada City...
    one is that it is possible for heavy snow in the surrounding areas, town is different from 5 miles above town, as to snow accumulation. Don't know the snowfall for that year however. Most of the time it;s not bad.
    two, there are mountain lions and bears everywhere, even in town, and they are seen regularly throughout the year. Not uncommon at all.

There is also another woman missing from this area, Elsa Wind, very beautiful young lady...and it is the same area, very close.

I can do local research here

When I first read the circumstances of the disappearance it sounded like a Lost/Injured/Missing case but the doenetwork says foul play is suspected. I think the story behind this case probably paints a different picture than what is known from reading online.

If she had snow shoes I would think the snow is pretty deep and she was having to walk on an unplowed surface, but like MW pointed out the friends could have made the story up. I wonder who took care of the baby after she goes missing, sad case.
    Last edited by HollywoodBound; 02-04-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InterestedNHelping View Post
    Any speculation on what happened to her? I can say 2 things about Nevada City...
    one is that it is possible for heavy snow in the surrounding areas, town is different from 5 miles above town, as to snow accumulation. Don't know the snowfall for that year however. Most of the time it;s not bad.
    two, there are mountain lions and bears everywhere, even in town, and they are seen regularly throughout the year. Not uncommon at all.

There is also another woman missing from this area, Elsa Wind, very beautiful young lady...and it is the same area, very close.

I can do local research here
    I just noticed you said you were local to this missing person's case. Had you heard of this case before? Was there ever any updates in the local papers?

I highly doubt Elsa Wind has anything to do with Jo Anne Burmer, in spite of the proximity. I have her case here: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wind_elsa.html and it looks like a runaway who may or may not have met with foul play later on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast