1024 users online (233 members and 791 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Scientist: All Blue Eyed People Are Related

So...who all on here is kin to me then?

If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin.
    Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
    "Originally, we all had brown eyes," Professor Hans Eiberg of the University of Copenhagen said in a press release. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes."
    That "switch" a simple change from "A," or adenine, to "G," or guanine, in the DNA actually sits next to the OCA2 gene, which regulates the pigmentation of our eyes, hair and skin, and hence has only a limiting effect on it.
    If the mutation had completely deactivated OCA2, all blue-eyed people would be albinos. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

Hello, my long lost relative. I have blue eyes also.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    So...who all on here is kin to me then?

If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin.
    Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
    "Originally, we all had brown eyes," Professor Hans Eiberg of the University of Copenhagen said in a press release. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes."
    That "switch" a simple change from "A," or adenine, to "G," or guanine, in the DNA actually sits next to the OCA2 gene, which regulates the pigmentation of our eyes, hair and skin, and hence has only a limiting effect on it.
    If the mutation had completely deactivated OCA2, all blue-eyed people would be albinos. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html
    Interesting article. I have green eyes.

Boo. My eyes are hazel. So what does that make me?

Six degrees of separation, or six degrees of Kevin Bacon...i want some of the grant money these folks get for this stuff, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Nice to meet ya cuz!

I was going to say ..... almost the same ... my eyes are green BUT I have two blue eyed children and 2 brown eyed ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I was going to say ..... almost the same ... my eyes are green BUT I have two blue eyed children and 2 brown eyed ones...
    The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.

It makes you MY distant cousin. Not sure how you feel about that! But I think you are a great poster!

The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.
    I was told the same thing when I was younger But now they only stay green.

Hey...somebody do a poll! I don't know how or I would do it.

Mine are green with a hint of blue... so... does that make me slightly kin... or just the red-headed step child, no body wants to claim? LoL

I'm a blue-eyed cousin!

Actually, mtDNA studies show that all humans have a common ancestor ("Mitochondrial Eve") in Africa going back about 200,000 years ago. So we are ALL distant cousins. But it is interesting to learn that the blue eye evolved (or mutated) so late and was probably spread with the proto-Indo-European migrations.

Im also green eyed so where does that put me??

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Mine are green with a hint of blue... so... does that make me slightly kin... or just the red-headed step child, no body wants to claim? LoL
    I love it!! Too funny! I think you have what most call hazel eyes. I do too! I just call them green instead hazel.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast