akers_ellen2.jpg
akers_ellen_ap.jpg
l

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: April 18, 1981 from Volusia County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Runaway
Date of Birth: February 26, 1966
Height and Weight: 5'4, 125 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blond hair.
bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Akers was last seen in Volusia County, Florida on April 18, 1981. She has never been heard from again. She is believed to have left of her own accord. Few details are available in her case.
bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Volusia County Sheriff's Office
904-736-5962

bar.jpg
Source Information
Florida Department of Law Enforcement

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/akers_ellen.html

Missing person

Ellen Akers, 15, stopped by the 7-Eleven on Atlantic Avenue where her mother worked at about 8 p.m. to get money for the movies. It's unknown whether she ever saw a show, but Akers never came home that night. Neither family nor friends have seen her since.

THE INVESTIGATION
When Akers' mother, Linda Riester, came home from work the next morning, she realized her daughter was missing. Stepfather Phil Riester reported Akers missing at 4 p.m. that day. Police said her purse and eyeglasses were still in her bedroom at home after the disappearance.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Local/newEAST02020408.htm

Ellen Linda Akers
Missing since April 18, 1981 from Ormond Beach, Volusia County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 26, 1966
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; green eyes.
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Ellen Akers stopped by the 7-Eleven on Atlantic Avenue where her mother worked at about 8 p.m. to get money for the movies. It's unknown whether she ever saw a show, but Akers never came home that night.

Neither family nor friends have seen her since.

When Akers' mother came home from work the next morning, she realized her daughter was missing. The stepfather reported Akers missing at 4 p.m. that day.

Police said her purse and eyeglasses were still in her bedroom at home after the disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ormond Beach Police Department
904-677-0731

Or
Crime Stoppers
888-277-TIPS (8477)

Agency Case Number: A27477

NCMEC #: NCMC1087299

Source Information:
FDLE
News Journal Online
NCMEC
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
The Doe Network: Case File 2463DFFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2463dffl.html

A while ago, I e-mailed Orange County, CA and asked if she could be the unidentified woman found in Dana Point on September 20, 1987. I still haven't heard back. I see a very strong resemblance between the two.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7661

I just clicked on the link provided above and it says that Ellen was ruled out. Hopefully, the bones that were just found are Ellen and her family can find some closure.

The bones are about ten miles from Atlantic Avenue by a direct route: https://goo.gl/maps/5MQjb

Zooming in, there's a minimart between Atlantic Ave and A1A that appears to face A1A. I wonder if that's where the 7-11 was in 1981.

I agree with the earlier comment; how could anyone list her as an endangered runaway? If she needed to wear glasses, I don't see how she could have gone to a movie after she went to get the money from her mother.

It's sad that whoever would have taken her got a nearly 24 hour head start before she was reported missing. They could have gone almost anywhere by that time.

I'd never heard of this case until I saw this - she disappeared three days after I was born, and within two hours of the location.

That's so creepy.

I wonder if anyone has looked into Roy Swafford. He is currently sitting on death row for the murder of 2 Volusia county woman one of which was abducted less then 3 miles from the movie theater that Ellen was going to and about 15 minutes from her home.

The 2 murders he was convicted of was in 1981 & 1982.

He is from Nashville and came down to Daytona each year for the Daytona 500. I know this does not fit the month for Ellen's disappearance but the locations are just to close to ignore.

I wonder if anyone has looked into Roy Swafford. He is currently sitting on death row for the murder of 2 Volusia county woman one of which was abducted less then 3 miles from the movie theater that Ellen was going to and about 15 minutes from her home.

The 2 murders he was convicted of was in 1981 & 1982.

He is from Nashville and came down to Daytona each year for the Daytona 500. I know this does not fit the month for Ellen's disappearance but the locations are just to close to ignore.

Roy Swafford's death sentence was reversed in 2014 and he was given life in return for his confessing to both murders according to news reports. He had originally been given the death sentence for 1 of the murders.

Interestingly both women where murdered February 14. One in 1981 and the other 1982. It would be a stretch but anything is possible. Are you a member of the family? If so I hope that y'all can find some answers.

Possible match:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/118uffl.html

The UnIded is shorter than the missing child.

She has been identified in 2013 as 17-year-old Tina Marie Beebe

A while ago, I e-mailed Orange County, CA and asked if she could be the unidentified woman found in Dana Point on September 20, 1987. I still haven't heard back. I see a very strong resemblance between the two.

She has been identified few weeks ago with assistance of Carl as Holly Glynn

Hoping Ellen is found soon as well!

We've been discussing Ellen a bit as a match for Huntington Beach "Andrea Doe" which got me researching...

I tracked down the original article about Ellen's disappearance in the local newspaper at the time. Surprisingly, not much follow up in the media over the years. Interesting to note that the media article notes her as 5"6 instead of the often mentioned 5"4; and with "sandy blonde hair" and "hazel eyes."

I didn't see any rule outs on her namus page. I've seen her name appear on other rule out lists for other does.

I'm wondering if these two does have been submitted/would be worthwhile to submit:

FL - Ormond Beach, WhtFem (UP923), 25-40, In Woods E. of Clyde Morris Blvd, Apr'90
---Same area, Ellen would have been 24 years old if kidnapped - one year off lower age estimate, might not have been run for a match due to the amount of time that had passed and age of Ellen at time of disappearance, face structure and hair colour look good for a match to original recon with clay, height is good match

Side by sides of Ormond Beach Doe Recons and Ellen
foto_no_exif (3).jpg

FL - Weston, WhtFem UP1211, 11-20, ARC Sailboat Charm on Clasp, Jan'88
--4 hour drive from Ellen's city, hair colour ok, facial structure not super far off for a recon based on skeletal only, Ellen would be within age range at estimated time of death for this doe (1985/86, Ellen age would be 19/20 then), downside... recon seems to show overbite not visible in Ellen's photos, height is 4"-6" off

Side by Sides of Weston Doe and Ellen Images
foto_no_exif (4).jpg

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts :) Trying to look around local does for a match as I feel like I've read too many stories about regional does and missing persons matching up many decades later.

She has been identified few weeks ago with assistance of Carl as Holly Glynn

Hoping Ellen is found soon as well!

:eek:fftopic:

Dana Point Jane Doe was ID'd as Holly Glynn without my assistance. I made a call to the Orange County Coroner to inquire about it, but by that point, they had already started working on it.

"When Akers' mother came home from work the next morning" - It sounds like to me that Ellen might have come home after the movies but vanished before her mother's shift was over. That could be why her glasses and purse were there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back