Human embryos created in Britain

believe09

Reaction score
DNA was used from three different people to create some embryos in Great Britain. The focus of the experiment is to see whether "bad genes" like those of inherited defects can be replaced with "good genes" from a third party. The embryos are not considered "genetically engineered" because they are substantially of one man and one woman...

And I quote, "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!"

I guess it all depends on what your definitions are...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_on_sc/embryo_research;_ylt=ApT7V6WvPeDTLKcDmU3PqcKs0NUE

So now we brace for the first wave of designer babies?

Sometimes I think we mess too much with nature.

Sometimes I think we mess too much with nature.

It's an interesting thing - to be sure. Science "advances" us but is there ever a time to say "Stop." Knowing man's thirst for knowledge and experience, I doubt it.

On one hand, I can understand people who won't let doctors do anything medical to save them and on the other hand I think "Well - a Greater Authority gave us those methods of salvation - shouldn't we take advantage?"

On one hand, I think "That's wonderful that we can clone a human embryo - think of all the people who suffer that could one day be saved from that," and on the other hand, I think, "Why fiddle with Life?"

But if we didn't fiddle, we wouldn't have vaccinnes, antibiotics, etc...etc...

The debate on science and morality and ethics is fascinating to me, but I don't have a clear view of my own opinions. In the final analysis, the body is only a temporary home for us, so what lengths should we reasonably go to to keep it alive and healthy?

In the end, I would love to see more science focus on mental/spiritual issues - ultimately, they matter more to me than matter! But then again - perhaps the three are all so connected that that's a short-sighted view. Every thought I have on the subject just leads to another question!

I agree that its getting to be too much but if it can save people from suffering then I am torn.

Im all for finding cures for cancer ,aids and such but its all this cloning and building super embroys stuff that frightens me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back