IL IL - Mascoutah, BlkFem Skeletal 327UFIL, 20-40, SK victim, off I-64, Jan'02

It certainly seems possible. It might be a good idea to call the numbers at both websites.

I agree - the sketch vaguely matches Melissa's photo, and the clothes are a great clue. I'd call both numbers, as SewingDeb suggested.

I suspect that they are the same. Same state, same clothing description, and the sketch looks very much like the photo of the missing lady. I did a quick search for the Jason Matthews brand of clothing and came up with nothing. I suspect it's either because the brand is an off price label used by manufacturers when selling goods direct to retail, by-passing sales reps or it's an old brand, no longer available.

bump to move to the UID forum. This was presented as a possible match a few years ago but it somehow ended up in the missing persons forum.

The clothes sure are a stand out ... but the UID was found in 2002, with an estimated time of death "several months" prior. She is believed to have been the victim of a killer who was active from 2000 - 2002.

Melissa Ann Page went missing 12 years before the UID was found and would have been outside the age range by three to four years if the estimated time of death is accurate. If the estimate is incorrect and she was killed soon after her disappearance, it has to be out by a decade or, to put it another way, the estimated time would be about 1/20th of the actual time.

I know that jumpsuits were more commonly worn as regular clothing around 1990 than 2000. I certainly see a facial resemblance. It's possible for a body to remain by a highway undiscovered for that length of time - there was a recent case in England where a woman missing since (I believe) 1996 was found near a highway ramp.

Geography's not great though - we're basically talking Chicago (MAP) to St Louis (UID) even though both are in the same state. That wouldn't really put me off but I think the clothing and the resemblance are likely no more than an odd coincidence.

A side by side comparison of these these two would be helpful here I think. I'll try to do it later today or tomorrow.

Salem

A side by side comparison of these these two would be helpful here I think. I'll try to do it later today or tomorrow.

Salem

Here's the side-by-side, along with the relevant links.
Melissa Ann Page http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/page_melissa.html
DoeNetwork Case 327UFIL http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/327ufil.html

327UFIL.jpg
page_melissa.jpg

Another IL case not in NamUs. :banghead:

I don't see the resemblence with the side by side. Completely different facial shapes imo.

Another IL case not in NamUs. :banghead:

I don't see the resemblence with the side by side. Completely different facial shapes imo.

I wish we had a post mortem photo -- a lot of the difference in facial shape could be due to how much of the facial swelling the artist removed.

how are threads tagged as possible matches, etc?

was this possibility submitted to any LE agency?

Threads are flagged possible match when the thread starter is comparing a UID to a missing person. The possible match is presented for discussion prior to submitting the possible match to LE/ME. Not all possible matches are submitted, nor should they be.
Generally if the discussion moves in the direction many agree and the stats line up well a call will be made to submit the possible match. Sometimes there may not be enough to actually call a possible match in...

there is a group of prefixes to choose from when starting a thread in the UID forum...

hth

Cubby

The clothes sure are a stand out ... but the UID was found in 2002, with an estimated time of death "several months" prior. She is believed to have been the victim of a killer who was active from 2000 - 2002.

Melissa Ann Page went missing 12 years before the UID was found and would have been outside the age range by three to four years if the estimated time of death is accurate. If the estimate is incorrect and she was killed soon after her disappearance, it has to be out by a decade or, to put it another way, the estimated time would be about 1/20th of the actual time.

I know that jumpsuits were more commonly worn as regular clothing around 1990 than 2000. I certainly see a facial resemblance. It's possible for a body to remain by a highway undiscovered for that length of time - there was a recent case in England where a woman missing since (I believe) 1996 was found near a highway ramp.

Geography's not great though - we're basically talking Chicago (MAP) to St Louis (UID) even though both are in the same state. That wouldn't really put me off but I think the clothing and the resemblance are likely no more than an odd coincidence.

I agree being from central Illinois, going to a college that had most of its students from the Chicago and Quad cities and now living in St.Louis agree that is a bit of a stretch. My best friend lives of fourteen years lives in Chicago and I know they don't really identify with people from Southern Illinois which is what the town she was found in is. Culturaly there is a vast difference between Southern and Northern Illinois. Being from Central Illinois theres even a difference between Soutern Illinois. By the way I have many friends from both Southern and Northern Illinois but as someone from Illinois wanted to point out the difference.

I agree being from central Illinois, going to a college that had most of its students from the Chicago and Quad cities and now living in St.Louis agree that is a bit of a stretch. My best friend lives of fourteen years lives in Chicago and I know they don't really identify with people from Southern Illinois which is what the town she was found in is. Culturaly there is a vast difference between Southern and Northern Illinois. Being from Central Illinois theres even a difference between Soutern Illinois. By the way I have many friends from both Southern and Northern Illinois but as someone from Illinois wanted to point out the difference.

Sorry I forgot to point out that the distance is about six hours.

You could be right about the clothing being out of date. The Jason Matthews brand kind of rang a bell for me, so I went and poked some more. I found this: http://www.trademarkia.com/jason-matthews-73372744.html

"On Friday, July 02, 1982, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for JASON MATTHEWS. This trademark is owned by Shelburne Shirt Company, Inc., NEW YORK , 10001 . Trademarkia.com is a free search engine of publicly available government records. Trademarkia.com is not a law firm and does not represent owners & correspondents listed on this page. "

Well, the Shelburne Shirt Company is local here to Massachusetts, but it isn't in business any more. I found this timeline (right-hand column) from when a new company opened in the old plant: http://www.heraldnews.com/business/x1918405131/Governor-tours-newly-opened-shirt-manufacturer

So Shelburne Shirts went out of business in 1988. Presumably closeout lots would have been available for some time after that, but if the estimated time of death is right, that garment was 10 years old or more. But I don't think it's possible that she was lying in the ditch for much longer than what they say, or the garment would have deteriorated more. (Here are the Illinois state police photos: http://www.isp.state.il.us/crime/unsolveddetails.cfm?ID=17

Slightly off topic: I also found this site which listed a bunch of Illinois cold cases including this one: http://phxgurl.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=coldcases&action=display&thread=648

I looked at the link you provided carbuff and I noticed something. Her body was found on January 30, 2002. I would assume that the decomposition process would have slowed as the weather got colder so if she was already skeletonized by then, my hunch is that her body was there for at least part of the summer of 2001.

eta:

I am no fashionista, but I would think a jumpsuit would be more suited to a more mature woman rather than someone at the younger end of the age range.

I looked at the link you provided carbuff and I noticed something. Her body was found on January 30, 2002. I would assume that the decomposition process would have slowed as the weather got colder so if she was already skeletonized by then, my hunch is that her body was there for at least part of the summer of 2001.

eta:

I am no fashionista, but I would think a jumpsuit would be more suited to a more mature woman rather than someone at the younger end of the age range.

I was wondering if it was a dancer's practice leotard. Next time I see my daughter, who used to dance, I'm going to ask her if she remembers that brand. It looks very much like some of the outfits she used to wear.

If this woman was a victim of the man police believe she was, then she was probably from no more than a few hundred miles from the St. Louis area.

It does not help that there is no height referenced in the Doe listing.

This woman, Nicole Gray, disappeared in late 1999 from a suburb of St. Louis Missouri:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/ngray.html

The Illinois state police website doesn't list a height, either. You'd think the jumpsuit would give them at least an approximation even if the skeleton wasn't complete. Something about it looks like "big rawboned woman" to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back