1158 users online (220 members and 938 guests)  

Websleuths News

MA - Diruhi Mattian, 53, stabbed to death, North Andover, 6 Feb 2008

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. An 18-year-old North Andover man is accused of killing his therapist.
    Police say Thomas Belanger stabbed 53-year-old Diruhi Mattian in the teen-ager's apartment Wednesday, then attempted to slit his own throat.
    Mattian was taken to Lawrence General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
    The Eagle-Tribune of Lawrence reports that Mattian, a Wilmington resident, was a licensed psychotherapist and worked for a Lawrence-based agency that helps families in crisis.
    North Andover Police Chief Richard Stanley says Belanger spent the night under police guard at the hospital and is expected to be arraigned Thursday on a murder charge.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329285,00.html

Does this mean this guy has a built in insanity defense?

I wonder why the therapist was in the teenager's apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    I wonder why the therapist was in the teenager's apartment?
    Yeah, that seems like a very bad liability risk to me. Evidently it was.. That' shouldn't be allowed; it's not safe. They usually make the case workers do that, this is a first i've heard of a therapist making housecalls.

WOW,
    This is why she was at his home:

"The services are primarily aimed at keeping the children safely at home with their families, in their community, out of residential programs and away from hospital care," the site said. It also says it offers home- or office-based care. It is funded by the state Department of Mental Health Child and Adolescent Services.
    "The services are primarily aimed at keeping the children safely at home with their families, in their community, out of residential programs and away from hospital care," the site said. It also says it offers home- or office-based care. It is funded by the state Department of Mental Health Child and Adolescent Services.

From September 2011:

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/yea...4103d865a.html

A 23-year-old North Andover man will spend at least 14 years in state custody after pleading guilty to the 2008 stabbing death of a psychotherapist who was trying to help him with his mental problems.

After he was deemed mentally competent, Thomas Belanger yesterday pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Diruhi Mattian, a 53-year-old mother of two daughters. Belanger will serve his sentence at Bridgewater State Hospital where he's already been receiving psychiatric therapy since his arrest...

At 6 p.m. on Feb. 6, 2008, Mattian rushed to the Belanger family's 3 Walker Road apartment to quell a day-long dispute between Thomas Belanger and his sister. Their mother was hospitalized, and the two siblings spent the day bickering and "pushing each other's buttons"... As Mattian tried to act as a "peacemaker," Belanger grabbed a knife, stabbed Mattian in her back, piercing her aorta and lung, and then turned the knife on himself, slashing his own throat.

So much for saving money and keeping this perp out of state care.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.