MO - Six killed in shooting at Kirkwood council meeting, 7 Feb 2008

How much do you want to bet the shooter is this guy?
[FONT=sans-serif, Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Federal court rejects council critic's First Amendment claims [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]By David L. Hudson Jr.[/FONT]
First Amendment scholar
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 02.07.08 [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] A federal judge in Missouri has rejected the First Amendment claims of a man removed from Kirkwood City Council meetings for “repetitive, personal, virulent attacks” against council members.
Charles Lee Thornton had sued the city of Kirkwood after he was arrested twice (and later convicted) for disorderly conduct at two council meetings in 2006.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/analysis.aspx?id=19647

Steadfast you are good and fast!

Is it me or has there been an above normal amount of kidnap, hostage and shooting situations today. The standoff in L.A., the teacher shot in front of her class in Ohio. The woman and child hostage in Florida. The kid kidnapped in Texas.

Live feed witness pretty much described the Thornton without saying the name.

Yep, it's Charles Thornton.

Reports are that Mr Thornton has been killed.

Steadfast you are good and fast!

It wasn't too hard. I just "GoogleNews'ed" Kirkwood City Council to see if there were any previous stories about a problem there.

My DH is from that area.

I live near there .... 20 minutes away. People are freaking out. This is the same town that Michael Devlin lived in for so long :(

Kirkwood has been cursed!

How much do you want to bet the shooter is this guy?
[FONT=sans-serif, Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Federal court rejects council critic's First Amendment claims [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]By David L. Hudson Jr.[/FONT]
First Amendment scholar
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]02.07.08 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]A federal judge in Missouri has rejected the First Amendment claims of a man removed from Kirkwood City Council meetings for “repetitive, personal, virulent attacks” against council members.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Charles Lee Thornton had sued the city of Kirkwood after he was arrested twice (and later convicted) for disorderly conduct at two council meetings in 2006.[/FONT]
[/FONT]http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/analysis.aspx?id=19647

Weird... that's today's date! Was this story just published today?? Is that what set him off?

I do this for a living in a way..........at Village Halls, Township Halls, etc.

Since I've been here, I've noticed that I am feeling far less secure in being at those places than I was say 2 years ago. This one hits me right in the gut. I printed what was on the links to share with my co-workers tomorrow.

We need to be more aware and alert that anything can happen at any time..................

SS: You were right on the draw on this one!!! Kudos.

Wow! I am from St. Louis, my parents live there, and I hadn't heard about this until now. Kirkwood (not Kirkwood City) is a suburb about 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis. It's a pretty upscale, quiet place, and this is a shocking crime.

A Post-Dispatch reporter says at least five were shot dead at Kirkwood City Hall. Public officials and attorneys are reportedly among the dead.
http://www.kmov.com/

On the Record is reporting 6 people have been killed. :(

9:32 p.m.
Many residents have told News 4 that they knew the shooter, and are visibly shaken.

9:30 p.m.

Reportedly, Charles Lee Thornton is the gunman that opened fire at the Kirkwood City Hall.

9:25 p.m.
St. Louis County Police Spokesperson Tracy Panus tells News 4 that the gunman approached a Kirkwood Police officer outside of city hall and shot and killed the officer.

Panus says that the suspect then walked into a city meeting, shot and killed another city police officer before opening fire on others in the room. Three others in the room in addition to the police officer were shot and killed. Two others were injured.

Police shot and killed the gunman.

9:23 p.m.
St. louis County Police just announced that five people are dead after a gunman Charles Lee Thornton opened fire at Kirkwood City Hall.
9:22 p.m.
News 4 reports at least one city councilman was one of the victims taken to St. John's Mercy Hospital. His injuries were not life thretening.

Mire being updated constantly:
http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov_localnews_080207_gunshots.9d9f3598.html

Thornton v. City of Kirkwood

Plaintiff: Charles Lee Thornton Defendant: City of Kirkwood Case Number: 4:2007cv00079 Filed: January 18, 2007 Court: Missouri Eastern District Court Office: St. Louis Office [ Court Info ] County: St. Louis - County Presiding Judge: Honorable Catherine D. Perry Nature of Suit: Civil Rights - Other Civil Rights Cause: 42:1983 Civil Rights Act Jurisdiction: Federal Question Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-moedce/case_no-4:2007cv00079/case_id-84601/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back