NE NE - Ricky Chadek, 11, Omaha, 23 March 1986

Teresa Larson

Reaction score
Omaha, NE A little boy on his bike becomes the target of a killer.
It was March 23, 1986. His uncle says today, "There's no doubt in my mind, someone somewhere knows something by now." Ricky Chadek, 11 years old, was riding home from a friend's house when he stopped at a bank at 42nd and Valley. It was about five o'clock on a Sunday. His mother got worried when he didn't come home and after about 40 minutes, she went looking for him. No sign of Ricky. But she found his bike, with the kickstand down, parked by the dumpster. Sgt. Eric Sellers with the Douglas County Sheriff's Department says, "It was the first time he was allowed to ride his bike that distance and plans were made on the route for him to take to get home, he had to make a phone call to his mom so she would know when to expect him." Again, Ricky's uncle, Mike Chamberlin says, " We just need that guide. We need someone out there that knows that little tidbit of information that will lead to a possible arrest." After Ricky disappeared, thousands of missing posters were printed and put up all over town. A special law enforcement task force worked night and day to try to find Ricky and his kidnapper. A witness saw an older blue truck at the bank the same time as Ricky. And police released a composite sketch of a possible suspect. However, two decades later, cold case investigators wonder if they spent too much time searching for the blue truck, overlooking some other clue that may have been right in front of them. Back then, Ricky's mother even pleaded with her son's captor... but still nothing. She faced the camera and said, "Let my son go or let me know where he is. I'll come get him. He is only a little boy and has done you no harm. I love my son very much and I want him back. Please send Rick home." Eight long and sleepless days go by. Then the worst news possible for Ricky's family. On the morning of Monday March 31, 1986, a farmer found the boy's body in this grove of trees near 168th and Ida. Someone had choked Ricky to death. His uncle says, "He was a good kid, kind and gentle and never had any problems. He was being raised in a family household, a single parent and he was an absolute angel. He was very smart and she (Ricky's mother) was crushed." Now detectives were searching for a killer, who kept the boy alive somewhere in the area, all week. The autopsy showed Ricky had only been dead about 12 hours. Sgt. Sellers says during the week, "The suspect most likely took care of him to some extent. What do you mean took care of him? His clothes were clean, he appeared clean, signs he recently had a meal before his death." Cold case detectives today wonder if there was a religious connection. The killer took Ricky on Palm Sunday, held him during Holy Week and strangled him on Easter Sunday. Sgt. Sellers, "We don't know if there's significant value, there very well could be. Why was he taken that day or murdered on Easter." The Catholic family even held a vigil on Easter and set out Ricky's Easter basket on the church's altar. Police don't think Ricky's killer tortured him during that week in March. He had no signs of abuse, bruises or scratches. But his mother was and still is today... tortured with the anguish of not knowing, of wondering what happened to her only son. Theresa Chadek says, "My God it eats at you. Eight days, your child is missing and you don't know what happened." Theresa moved to another state several years after her boy's murder. She gave us a picture of herself today.. with Ricky's picture hanging on the wall in the background. 22 years later, there's still the pain and anguish of not knowing. The family wants answers. Mike Chamberlin, "I would only hope in some ways they would be wishing to clear their soul of what they've done once and for all." Theresa Chadek, "I just want him to stop and think. Stop and get it off your chest. You can ask for forgiveness and one day you may face God and if you've never asked for forgiveness, then God gets you and God help him, whoever he is." The bank put up a plaque on the bank's wall to remember Ricky. Cold case investigators say with today's new technology, it's very likely they could solve this 22 year old murder case. They just need someone to come forward with that piece of information. The tip line is 402.444-6000. This happened in a good area of town. Nobody would have ever thought this would happen around there. It is right off of interstate I-80 I have always wondered if it was somebody passing through town.

The area where Ricky came up missing is just blocks from I-80 I have wondered many times over the years if somebody just happened to be traveling through Omaha and got off of the interstate there saw Ricky and kidnapped him. It would have been easy to do. This happened in a nice area as a matter of fact it is still a nice area with a very low crime rate. It's odd that Ricky just disappeared never to be found. This case is close to home and has always bothered me. My own son was 10 years old at the time this happened.

The area where Ricky came up missing is just blocks from I-80 I have wondered many times over the years if somebody just happened to be traveling through Omaha and got off of the interstate there saw Ricky and kidnapped him. It would have been easy to do. This happened in a nice area as a matter of fact it is still a nice area with a very low crime rate. It's odd that Ricky just disappeared never to be found. This case is close to home and has always bothered me. My own son was 10 years old at the time this happened.

He was found, 8 days later in a row of trees strangled to death. No other sign of abuse, according to your unsourced article. I wonder how much the Biological father was questioned. I doubt a traveler just cruising through town would have brought him back to the area to dump his body...or stayed in town an entire week.

I should have done a little more research before posting This happened so long ago I had forgotten that Ricky was found dead 8 days later. I also wonder how much his biological father was questioned. I wonder if they did any DNA testing on his remains/clothing back then. If not I wonder if they have any of his articles of clothing etc. left and they could do it now.

Are there any photos available of Ricky Chadek? What did he look like at the age of 11, when he disappeared?
Thanks for any info.

Are there any photos available of Ricky Chadek? What did he look like at the age of 11, when he disappeared?
Thanks for any info.

I haven't located a photo or news article with a photo of Ricky. Using the search term with his name brings up a lot of articles including the facebook of a man who says he went to school with Ricky. There seemed to be a lot of things going on in the Omaha area at the time, IMO. There is also a blog (http://thereadersmedianotes.blogspot.com/2006/04/twenty-years-ago-another-tragic.html) that contains a description of the man who might have picked Ricky up.

I was reminded of the Oakland County (MI) child killer as the other posters were.

The first suspect to come to my mind was Michael Devlin (Shawn Hornbeck's kidnapper). Though he lived his entire life in MO, he was being looked at by law enforcement for kidnappings as far back as 1988 and as far away as MI (and it was learned that he took Shawn out of state on numerous occasions). Devlin would have been 20, 21 years old at the time of Ricky's death.

Wednesday will be the 25th anniversary of Ricky Chadek's abduction. If anniversaries are big to people who do this type of thing, what will that person be doing on Wednesday? I hope this case can be solved.

News story today on WOWT:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/118627694.html

Interesting what this story doesn't say- such as why, now?

I cannot reveal how I know this, but I was told by someone who should know that LE strongly suspected a Catholic priest in this abduction/murder. Attempts by police to persue justice ran into a wall of silence from Church authorities.

One chilling thought; I think Ricky's picture looks a lot like the photos of Tommy Hunter, murdered in Dundee in 2008. They can't be related after 22 years, or can they?

Let's pray for justice.

'Let justice be done though the heavens fall.'

Kevin Costner as Jim Garrison in 'JFK'

Does anyone know where i can get a look at the Composite Sketch of the suspect when they were looking for Ricky. Would like to get another look at it again

KETV.com
Science May Help Break 25-Year-Old Cold Case New DNA Tests Could Point To Ricky Chadek's Killer POSTED: 9:17 pm CDT March 28, 2011 UPDATED: 8:15 am CDT March 29, 2011 OMAHA, Neb. -- Douglas County investigators are hoping for a break in a 25-year-old cold case.Deputies said someone killed Ricky Chadek on March 23, 1986. His mother said the boy's bike was found near a bank at South 42nd and Valley streets.At the time, a composite sketch and a massive manhunt failed to yield any clues.Eight days after the kidnapping, deputies said a farmer found the boy's body in a field near the intersection of 168th and Ida streets.Detectives said DNA evidence from the scene that could not be tested in 1986 can now be used to track down Chadek's killer. County Officials said grant money is being used to help pay for the unique tests."Why is this DNA on Ricky -- that's what we're trying to find out," Lt. Mark Gentile said.However, Gentile said the samples have deteriorated, forcing the county to opt for the special tests."We usually can test through normal DNA data base -- this is totally different," Gentile said. "We are looking at some old suspects we had and some new suspects and use that new evidence against them and see if we get a match."Deputies said the tests have already cleared Chadek's family and it should allow them to narrow in on the killer.Investigators said they hope people who were around at the time of the kidnapping might come forward with any information they may have. The tip line is 402-444-6000.

The artist's sketch appeared with this article, if you want to find it through microfilm at the library, perhaps. Their online news database doesn't include graphics unfortunately.
Investigating Task Force Grows Search Continues for Richard Chadek 's Killer
Omaha World-Herald (NE) - Sunday, April 6, 1986
Author: Terry Hyland, World - Herald

The artist's sketch appeared with this article, if you want to find it through microfilm at the library, perhaps. Their online news database doesn't include graphics unfortunately.
Investigating Task Force Grows Search Continues for Richard Chadek 's Killer
Omaha World-Herald (NE) - Sunday, April 6, 1986
Author: Terry Hyland, World - Herald

I have a copy of the artist's sketch, and I'll try to copy & paste right now.

Interesting. Here's a guy who thinks his Dad may have been involved in this boy's abduction: http://379collective.com/davidshurter/?p=161

This is interesting. I had not seen this before. I hope this guy shared this information with Omaha LE. This guy seems to connect his Dad with the Franklin Credit Union Scandal also. I haven't read about any 'confirmed' children's murders connected to this, but what do I know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back